• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy pants comic purchases; what's your's?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, Primetime said:

Here a a couple of Timelys that I stretched quite a bit for at the time. I got the photo journals in 1994, and it was quite a journey from that point :insane:

(1996) - All Select 1 app. VF+ (slight color touch, CF reinforced) $5900

(2000) - Cap 1 FAIR  $4400

(2000) - Cap 3 VG $2700

Those prices!!!  :ohnoez:

It seemed that most every purchase that I made chasing down Fox GGA books back in 'the day' were Crazy Pants Comic purchases. This was in the 90's when there was less opportunity to find those elusive wonders since I liked to see the book in person (no third party grading then) before laying down the cash. Also my budget for buying comics was pretty low. The PL # 19 showed up raw at my LCS. There was a lot of interest when it came in (a consignment) and I had to really scramble to get the $$ to ward off my competition that wanted it as much as I did. The Jo-Jo came thru a dealer that had my list and when he brought it to me, I gulped, paid what he wanted and happily scratched it off my list. As Primetime just said, it was big money for me at the time...but no regrets for sure. 

fullsizeoutput_634.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_635.jpeg

I had just sold two big books from my personal collection  ( AF 15 & a married CA #1) & had a nice chunk of change to buy a PC book. A week before this came up for auction on Ebay I was offered an incomplete copy ( no centerfold & I think only 1 or 2 BM pages) I was ok with no cover but decided I just did not want an incomplete copy and had resolved myself to moving on and started to look for a Captain America #1  & then this came up on a 7 day auction which gave me time to do research & come up with what I thought would be a crazy pants bid, This was a PC buy and the store could not absorb a purchase like this without having to resell it at some point. So I had to talk to my wife and she was ok with a me taking out a small loan from our savings as I was going to need another 15k based on what I thought would give me a decent shot at winning it.  Long story short I put my bidnapper bid in and went to bed & when I first looked I thought I had been out bid ( to be honest I was relieved) only to realize I had won the book by less than $100. By far the most I had ever paid for a single comic for my personal collection and needless to say at this point I could never afford to replace it & to this day I still pinch myself  when I realize I own it. (I am two away from a complete run of low grade complete pre tech books but none of them have come close to being this crazy pants but #31 is one of the two so who knows............Honey I have have a question to ask lol

S6301145.thumb.JPG.5cdbe79f8aaf2891ba4f6878c1d776f1.JPG.a2e1097d974ce4a7429b7cb87f6ee41b.JPG

Edited by Frank Mozz