• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 251 Questions

7 posts in this topic

Recently acquired this great book and im fairly new to the grading process. My question would be what graded condition would this book be in roughly? And my second question would be how much would it cost to be graded? I have checked the pricing guide already and didn't receive a clear answer. Any help is well appreciated.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

On 4/22/2019 at 8:54 AM, faster friends said:

That book is VG 4.0 at best. I would not waste time or money sending it in to be graded. 

It’s not really worth that much money.

I guess it depends on what you call "that much money"

Batman 251 is an extremely in demand book. The last GPA recorded sale of a CGC 4.0 was $200. Pictures are only of the front cover, but I believe the book would grade a bit better than 4.0. 

My own personal standard has a $200 book worth grading. 

9 hours ago, Tony S said:

I guess it depends on what you call "that much money"

Batman 251 is an extremely in demand book. The last GPA recorded sale of a CGC 4.0 was $200. Pictures are only of the front cover, but I believe the book would grade a bit better than 4.0. 

My own personal standard has a $200 book worth grading. 

With the damage to the price area at the top right of the cover I think 4.0 is about the best it can be. 

And with shipping you are looking at $50 to have the book graded. You would do better to sell it raw and buy another copy already graded.

6 hours ago, faster friends said:

With the damage to the price area at the top right of the cover I think 4.0 is about the best it can be. 

And with shipping you are looking at $50 to have the book graded. You would do better to sell it raw and buy another copy already graded.

Color scrapes are one of several  defects that collectors in the raw world tend to grade more harshly than CGC does. IMHO, one of the reasons TO GRADE the copy above is that the CGC grade will be higher than a lot of  collectors would accept if raw. 

Financially, what you say is true. One could sell a raw VG copy on eBay for $150. Maybe more. Looking at completed raw sales on eBay Batman 251 appears to be oftentimes selling for more raw than an equivalent already graded copy would cost.  So sure, the owner could sell this one and then look for an already graded copy. That might be the financially smart choice.  But your original statement of "it's not really worth that much money" isn't accurate, unless you are lucky enough to be in income bracket where $200 is like loose change in your pocket. . For a lot of collectors, a book that is worth $200 is is a grail, a key in their collection.