• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun 73, COLOR TOUCH w/ Blue Label

32 posts in this topic

So I stumbled across this on eBay the other day. How is it that the comic has minor color touch yet has a blue label, and isn't labeled as "restored." Seems very odd.

The description of the item even lists it as "unrestored," although that is obviously not the case, but it might be "unrestored" according to CGC. I dunno. What's going on here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Fun-Comics-73-CGC-2-0-GD-DC-1941-1st-App-ORIGIN-of-Aquaman/382526487289?hash=item59105afaf9:g:IycAAOSwrVRbVl2m

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 8.28.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 8.29.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 8.31.41 PM.png

4 hours ago, D84 said:

I've seen this throughout the years on golden age books, and it really bothers me.

But, even though it doesn't have a restored label, I would not trust a seller who lists this book as unrestored.

It bothers me too. If a book is restored, it's restored. Even if its very minor it's still restored and ought to be treated as a restored book. I think this comes down to just CGC being too lenient on their grading of GA books.

5 hours ago, D84 said:

I've seen this throughout the years on golden age books, and it really bothers me.

But, even though it doesn't have a restored label, I would not trust a seller who lists this book as unrestored.

Agreed, I would never do business with those guys (they’ve been talked about here on the boards before).

Actually, now that I look at this more closely, it appears that a fair amount of color touch on this book has already been removed. Given the fragile nature of the book, maybe they didn't want to risk disfiguring the cover even further by trying to remove any remaining color touch. Still, it's hard for me to look at this book and not be slightly disillusioned, both in the label designation and the asking price...

4 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

It bothers me too. If a book is restored, it's restored. Even if its very minor it's still restored and ought to be treated as a restored book. I think this comes down to just CGC being too lenient on their grading of GA books.

It's a concession CGC had to make at the beginning so they wouldn't immediately fail.

What bothers me is, how can I trust a company to find and identify restoration, if their finding of it doesn't qualify it as restored? Heck, if cgc isn't going to give it a restored grade, what guarantee is there that any of their "unrestored" books aren't restored. 

21 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
22 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Nice book, but for $95k!? :screwy:

agree but a few years from now that asking price will be its fmv

Historically, yes it appears that way, but no way to predict the future.  I believe 2-3 years ago pre-robin tecs were selling for record highs.  Just last year and maybe this year, they came back down to earth.

4 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

What bothers me is, how can I trust a company to find and identify restoration, if their finding of it doesn't qualify it as restored? Heck, if cgc isn't going to give it a restored grade, what guarantee is there that any of their "unrestored" books aren't restored. 

All restored books are identified in the label comments. Even if restored and blue labeled, as in some rare cases like this.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

All restored books are identified in the label comments. Even if restored and blue labeled, as in some rare cases like this.

I realize that, but it's not like CGC hasn't failed to list defects in the label before.

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

I realize that, but it's not like CGC hasn't failed to list defects in the label before.

I understand. But restoration isn't a defect. Unless figuring trim as restoration, in which case it's more of a defect than resto, as part of the book is missing, regardless of it being intentional or not.

Since they expanded their restoration guidelines and recently upgraded their holder and label, it would have been the perfect time for CGC to modify this practice as well. I see it as a missed opportunity. Ah well, what might have been...