• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun 73, COLOR TOUCH w/ Blue Label

32 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, HuddyBee said:
On 4/22/2019 at 10:11 AM, D84 said:

I've seen this throughout the years on golden age books, and it really bothers me.

But, even though it doesn't have a restored label, I would not trust a seller who lists this book as unrestored.

It bothers me too. If a book is restored, it's restored. Even if its very minor it's still restored and ought to be treated as a restored book. I think this comes down to just CGC being too lenient on their grading of GA books.

It's nonsense and all it does is lead to confusion, distrust, and misinformation. They sometimes do the same thing with a small amount of glue on a book. 

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

They sometimes do the same thing with a small amount of glue on a book.

I'll take small amount of glue over small amount of color touch (in a CGC Universal label) any day of the week, and twice on weekends.

And I think CGC only tolerates for GA books.

Edited by Gotham Kid

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I understand. But restoration isn't a defect. Unless figuring trim as restoration, in which case it's more of a defect than resto, as part of the book is missing, regardless of it being intentional or not.

I know it's not a defect, but in this case CGC is treating it as a if it were just another defect w/ giving it a blue label.

Edited by HuddyBee

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'll take small amount of glue over small amount of color touch (in a CGC Universal label) any day of the week

Is glue on a cover really even restoration? I realize it might hold a book intact or seal tears, but by that logic, wouldn't tape and xtra staples also be considered restoration?

I just consider it a defect along with trimming, as neither actually "restore" in the literal sense of what "restore" means, that is to bring an object back to a state it once was.

1 minute ago, HuddyBee said:

Is glue on a cover really even restoration? I realize it might hold a book intact or seal tears, but by that logic, wouldn't tape and xtra staples also be considered restoration?

I just consider it a defect along with trimming, as neither actually "restore" in the literal sense of what "restore" means, that is to bring an object back to a state it once was.

As far as I know, glue has always been treated as restoration...

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'll take small amount of glue over small amount of color touch (in a CGC Universal label) any day of the week, and twice on weekends.

And I think CGC only tolerates for GA books.

I think everybody would but that's beside the point. The grading rules shouldn't be different for GA comics

7 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I think everybody would but that's beside the point. The grading rules shouldn't be different for GA comics

Agreed, either CGC is being to lenient with GA or to strict with SA - MA books, either way CGC just needs to keep it consistent.

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have a Showcase #22 in CGC 4.5 with a "small amount of glue on cover" designation, and it has a blue label.

The mystery deepens ....

Joe

Yes, it's a mystery, that's for sure. Maybe someone at CGC thought this book was a Golden Age book and accidentally administered the Golden Age standards. Or perhaps the glue on the cover of your Showcase #22 wasn't deemed resto because it wasn't being used as an attempt to seal a tear or a spine split---it was just a random glob of glue. Another possibility is that it'd been intended for that purpose, but over time it had become ineffective and no longer sealed anything. But usually that would result in the phrase "small amount of dried glue on the cover" being written on the label...  ???

13 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Yes, it's a mystery, that's for sure. Maybe someone at CGC thought this book was a Golden Age book and accidentally administered the Golden Age standards. Or perhaps the glue on the cover of your Showcase #22 wasn't deemed resto because it wasn't being used as an attempt to seal a tear or a spine split---it was just a random glob of glue. Another possibility is that it'd been intended for that purpose, but over time it had become ineffective and no longer sealed anything. But usually that would result in the phrase "small amount of dried glue on the cover" being written on the label...  ???

Shouldn't exist, IMO.

CGC is the best in their business, but they have room for improvement.

24 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Shouldn't exist, IMO.

CGC is the best in their business, but they have room for improvement.

I agree. As was mentioned somewhere else in this thread, CGC likely adopted this practice when they first started in order to appease the Golden Age enthusiasts...

My very first slab in 2004 was an Action #29  CGC 4.0 blue.  Notes said a very small amount of dried glue on the cover.  I was never able to spot it but always figured a kid spilled some on it at some point, by the way it was worded.