• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are early black cat appearances worth holding onto

69 posts in this topic

Just now, rckstr1253 said:

Will early black cat appearances gain in value or not worth hanging onto?

Only the first one probably. ASM 194 9.8 has doubled in the last year or two. Grab a 9.6 at a discount if you like the character. If she pops up in a movie it will most likely rise but I am keeping my copies.

Amazing Spidey is generally the gold standard in any era.  You lose nothing by having them, someone will always want them.

That being said, I keep beating the drum for Black Cat stories in Spectacular Spider-Man.  Their whole relationship, gaining her bad luck  powers, being hospitalized, their split... no one cares.

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

Amazing Spidey is generally the gold standard in any era.  You lose nothing by having them, someone will always want them.

That being said, I keep beating the drum for Black Cat stories in Spectacular Spider-Man.  Their whole relationship, gaining her bad luck  powers, being hospitalized, their split... no one cares.

There were some really good Peter David Spidey stories in Spectacular. Remember when the issue of Spec where Spidey gets the Captain Universe powers was super hot?

I just finished the Tombstone and Punisher/Arranger/Persuader story line last night.  Some of those Spectacular Spider-Man issues in the 80's to 90's (not the decades but the issue numbers) were great.  I also like the Milgrom covers.  He is somewhat maligned as an artist, but I feel like those covers have a lot of simplistic charm that is lost on the "realistic" covers of today that are being discussed in the other forum.  My favorite:

98-1.jpg

Milgrom was not very good. he was fast and could churn out covers but not very good. Having said that, I like this one. One of the few Milgrom covers (on any series) that I can stomach

733927.jpg

I think my favorite Milgrom covers are IF #14 and ASM #194. They aren't horrible.

That said, I echo the sentiments of many. Spectacular Spiderman from about #60-...well, I guess until #200 or so...is a hidden gem. There are highlights, like the Death of Jean DeWolf (#107-110), and the Cloak & Dagger stories, but all in all, with Peter David and JM DeMatteis writing...it's all really quite good. 

I'm re-reading the Cosmic Spiderman stories (ASM #327-329, Web #59-#61, and Spec #158-160)...I *think* those may have been the very first Spiderman stories I ever read. It's a little hokey, but boy, does it bring back memories.

20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think my favorite Milgrom covers are IF #14 and ASM #194. They aren't horrible..

According to GCD, the cover to Iron Fist #14 was based on a design by Dave Cockrum (coincidentally also the designer of the Black Cat's costume), which may explain why it looks better than most of Al Milgrom's work.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That said, I echo the sentiments of many. Spectacular Spiderman from about #60-...well, I guess until #200 or so...is a hidden gem. There are highlights, like the Death of Jean DeWolf (#107-110), and the Cloak & Dagger stories, but all in all, with Peter David and JM DeMatteis writing...it's all really quite good. 

The stories aren't bad but the art is almost uniformly mediocre. Not necessarily bad just nothing to get excited about. Some of the covers (Miller, Byrne and a few others) are good but when you have guys like Hannigan and Mooney doing the interior art and Milgrom doing covers, it's hard to get too worked up about it.  Doesn't help that they had a revolving door of artists and inkers doing the book during at that time. Seems like Peter Parker and Web of... (artistically even worse then PP) were the red headed step children to ASM. 

Edited by Jeffro.

15 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

The stories aren't bad but the art is almost uniformly mediocre. Not necessarily bad just nothing to get excited about. Some of the covers (Miller, Byrne and a few others) are good but when you have guys like Hannigan and Mooney doing the interior art and Milgrom doing covers, it's hard to get too worked up about it.  Doesn't help that they had a revolving door of artists and inkers doing the book during at that time. Seems like Peter Parker and Web of... (artistically even worse then PP) were the red headed step children to ASM. 

I never liked Sal Buscema's run on Spectacular.

most grades of ASM 194 has been rising. Two years ago you could get a CGC 9.4 for 250ish...Now $350ish. 9.0's are selling for $200-$225. I used to be able to get decent Raw copies all the time for around $50....now they routinely go for over $100.

I have 50 copies of the book. Including 20 that are graded.

16 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I never liked Sal Buscema's run on Spectacular.

I can understand that. When Sal took up the book again in 1988, his style had changed and became more angular and thick lined.  I enjoy 70s and early 80s Sal but am lukewarm on later Sal. 

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I can understand that. When Sal took up the book again in 1988, his style had changed and became more angular and thick lined.  I enjoy 70s and early 80s Sal but am lukewarm on later Sal. 

SSM was when I first became aware oh his art. The scratchiness of it bothered me. But then any art during the McFarlane era probably wouldn't have impressed me.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, Jeffro. said:

Milgrom was not very good. he was fast and could churn out covers but not very good. Having said that, I like this one. One of the few Milgrom covers (on any series) that I can stomach

733927.jpg

Been on fire the past six months.