• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone shed light on what this competitor company is talking about?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

This instructional video isn't CGC specific, though, so how do we know those bags are identical to these?  Has anyone even seen these in person yet that can attest to the tamper-proof level of security before we jump to conclusions?  I get a lot of SS books but before I reach into hysteria mode I try to hear actual accounts from people who've experienced this first-hand before reaching a conclusion.

Can anyone shed light on this?  The other thread about these in CG must have been 'poofed' so not sure what's going on at this point.

They had these at ECCC and I had to deal with multiple of them. At one point I wanted to add an item to my invoice so had to open the bag at the CGC booth. The glue is incredible sticky and the bag tore when I was opening it. I dont know how effective that spray is on the same bag CGC uses.

The other tamper proof element is the card disk which has the list of books and witness signatures on it. All the spots on the disk were filled, or crossed out if empty before being including in the bag. I believe those disk were kept behind the counter and not easily accessible. So if you were to open the bag you would have to get a disk and fill it in as well.

On 4/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, devilsrain said:

Hopefully that will ease some worries.  I get it though, the other company is desperate for market share. What’s a little misinformation, right? 

Company Marketing Departments stretch the truth all the time.  It’s my field and I have had to decline campaigns because of lack of provable evidence.   Putting this out on Facebook is pretty bold. I agree, this smells of desperation.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:50 PM, NamesJay said:

They posted this on Facebook:

Due to changes in CGC's witnessing procedure that effectively breaks the chain of custody on witnessed signatures and could have a potential negative impact by compromising the integrity of the Authorized Signature Program, CBCS will not be able to honor CGC yellow label books with signatures dated from 2019 and beyond. Going forward any comics removed from a CGC holder and submitted with signatures dated 2019 and up will need to have those signatures verified through the CBCS VSP program.

Any CGC yellow labels dated prior to 2019 are still eligible to be transferred to CBCS yellow labels.

This is kind of related to my post - https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/450055-role-of-cgc-witnesses-at-conventions/

I saw CGC witnesses not observing signatures at a recent convention, but I think they were spending time to verify CGC paperwork approached by collectors and sealing up the tamper proof bags.

On a side note, I do look at CGC Signature Series and CBCS VSP as completely different programs. Yellow label is observed signatures (the current standard for comic books) whereas CBCS VSP is for third party authentication of signatures, similar to PSA/DNA services.