• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop Amazing Spider-man #52 VG 4.0 Restored $1140.00
2 2

38 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1st-Series-52-1967-VG-4-0-RESTORED/133030609975?hash=item1ef93e0437:g:nl8AAOSw1z9cvrxt:sc:USPSPriority!11758!US!-1 

An impeccable seller. A reliable ebay giant. And I know they take consignments, so the consigner will set the price. So my question is, Why? Why list a book with a market value of about $11.40 for $1140.00, about 100 times it's market value?

Why allow a third party to use your platform to list an item that's priced as nonsensically as this? MCS are knowledgeable hobbyists and excellent businessmen. At some point, is there a price cap for a particular item imposed on a consigner?

Not criticizing a great seller, just curious as to the rationale of providing am unlimited platform for items priced so in excess of any reasonable market value.

37 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

Not sure if that was an accident on the part of the consignor or what, but I emailed him to let him know. He priced it earlier today.

We currently do not impose any price controls on items priced by our consignors, and occasionally something odd like this gets attention. I intend to add some guardrails to consignment pricing in a future update. The goal will be to limit unrealistic pricing while still preserving as much consignor freedom and flexibility as we can.

Please update the site to accept offers below asking prices!  That would be a game changer for me, I'd be buying even more books than I already do.  (thumbsu

I hear Joe Robertson will be wielding Stormbreaker in Avengers Endgame and might be the key to saving the universe? And what mycomicshop missed was that while there may have been terrible amateur color touch along the spine, that was, in fact, applied by Stan Lee when he accidentally missed the center of the book while attempting to sign his 8 millionth book that day. He was exhausted.Poor Stan, RIP.

OK, enough bad jokes.

Anyway, I understand and appreciate myscomicshop not messing around with consignment pricing, OTOH, at that price they are just wasting space at MCS and MCS's time.

Edited by the blob

40 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

Not sure if that was an accident on the part of the consignor or what, but I emailed him to let him know. He priced it earlier today.

We currently do not impose any price controls on items priced by our consignors, and occasionally something odd like this gets attention. I intend to add some guardrails to consignment pricing in a future update. The goal will be to limit unrealistic pricing while still preserving as much consignor freedom and flexibility as we can.

We've had this debate here before. Honestly, I think you guys do a great job with your current model. The offer of 'guardrails' for consignors is nice, but I wonder if it's even feasible. There are just endless variables with comics that factor into the pricing. So much is subjective.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1st-Series-52-1967-VG-4-0-RESTORED/133030609975?hash=item1ef93e0437:g:nl8AAOSw1z9cvrxt:sc:USPSPriority!11758!US!-1 

An impeccable seller. A reliable ebay giant. And I know they take consignments, so the consigner will set the price. So my question is, Why? Why list a book with a market value of about $11.40 for $1140.00, about 100 times it's market value?

Why allow a third party to use your platform to list an item that's priced as nonsensically as this? MCS are knowledgeable hobbyists and excellent businessmen. At some point, is there a price cap for a particular item imposed on a consigner?

Not criticizing a great seller, just curious as to the rationale of providing am unlimited platform for items priced so in excess of any reasonable market value.

If you have two of an item, you price one at 1500% of guide and list the other one at 300%.  The latter appears to be a bargain.  Every week or so, you cut the price 5% and the books appear to be new in stock. 

Because with MCS' notorious under grading both buyers and sellers know this baby is at least a 5.0 Restored! :acclaim:

Seriously though, as someone who often consigns with MCS I know they offer a wealth of information (GPA data/MCS sales history/etc.) on every comic consigned to assist the seller with setting a fair sales price. If some sellers choose to completely ignore it...

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

So this isn't a good deal? Wouldn't a clean and press help?  lol 

3 hours ago, Dan82 said:

$11.40 seems too much to be honest.

I'd give two quid tops and then only so I could look at the resto.

what's a 'quid' again?  Is it British slang for 'squid'?

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

We've had this debate here before. Honestly, I think you guys do a great job with your current model. The offer of 'guardrails' for consignors is nice, but I wonder if it's even feasible. There are just endless variables with comics that factor into the pricing. So much is subjective.

I agree with this. I consign A LOT with MCS. I don't want to jump through hoops to justify my pricing. I wouldn't ever price anything like that sweet restored Spidey, but I do price some things well above current market. In this market it only makes sense on certain things. I've set GPA records on plenty of books that at the time of pricing may have seemed outrageous. Books go from being $20 to $200 overnight these days though. Non key stuff I usually try to be the cheapest available unless that price would have me losing $. 

As far as best offer goes, I am against it.  I'm not interested in getting offers of $175 on my items priced at $200 when that book would sell for $200 without a best offer option. I price the majority of my stuff to be competitive with current pricing. I'd rather not bump things up that I don't feel deserve it just to haggle and end at the same price. I don't want unnecessary steps to end at the same result.  A lot of people that sell on Ebay loath the best offer option for this reasoning and more. 

Still, from a business optics standpoint, any listings, owned third party and consigned or not, a consignor is the invisible man. We all know it's a consigned item, but any items listed under the MCS banner reflects directly on MCS alone, not who consigned or priced it and could have an unfavorable consumer impact. Here's how:

You get an unchecked consignor being represented by MCS, the pricing similar to this, books listed without Make offer options at 50 to 100 times market value. 50 to 100 times what you can find any similar item listed on ebay by sellers other than MCS (in the instance of this 52). If I search Amazing Spider-man 52 VG, I'm sure there will be a wide selection of Fine or less condition copies available for 1/50th the cost of this. So say I'm not aware that this is the exception and not the rule and I have a long list of books I need. I see this VG restored AS 52, a book everyone else would sell for $20 or less for sale on the MCS ID for 50 times that and that's the last time I ever look in on their listings, "Are these guys crazy? Thanks but no thanks!".

This is what I mean by optics and business sense. Personally, I wouldn't allow it and explain to the consignor that I can't ask $1100 for a book you can buy anywhere on ebay for $20 because it makes me look bad as a seller.

While I don't disagree with anything you wrote,  the people at MCS have successfully transformed from a chain of local shops to being the largest on line comic dealer in the country. Whatever they are doing is pretty successful. 

59 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

As far as best offer goes, I am against it.  I'm not interested in getting offers of $175 on my items priced at $200 when that book would sell for $200 without a best offer option. I price the majority of my stuff to be competitive with current pricing. I'd rather not bump things up that I don't feel deserve it just to haggle and end at the same price. I don't want unnecessary steps to end at the same result.  A lot of people that sell on Ebay loath the best offer option for this reasoning and more. 

This is interesting. I guess I was thinking as a buyer Best Offer is nice... but as an occasional consignor I do see your point. Food for thought.

But theoretically, when you consign items on the MCS site couldn't you have the option to click a box and add or not add Best Offer for each one, just like you do on ebay? As opposed to it being something that is imposed on everyone.