MyComicShop Amazing Spider-man #52 VG 4.0 Restored $1140.00
3 3

38 posts in this topic

3,926 posts

Conan it's been a couple years since you said you were exploring adding the functionality of offers. Leaving money on the table buddy. Or, you're leaving money on the table, Buddy!  Let's get to it, hmmm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,243 posts
6 hours ago, Point Five said:

"Best offer" would be a nice feature. I agree, I'd use it.

 

I’ve been wanting this on MCS for a while now. Hopefully it will happen soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts

The consignor got back to me. The original price was $999 (which became the $1140 on eBay)--he was not intending to sell at that price, he did that in order to flag that book to himself for further action. He had not realized it was color touched, and was considering having it set aside to be returned to him. He has now lowered the price to $99--I don't think he plans to sell it at that price either, but that's less eye catching than the previous price. Sounds like it'll be removed from his account soon if he decides to have it returned.

We do not currently provide a mechanism for a consignor to delist an item because the need to do so hasn't been requested much at all before, and normally if you have something consigned we'd prefer that it be listed rather than not. A workaround is to assign it to an auction and then remove it from auction (before the auction starts). That'll put an item back in an unlisted state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
865 posts
10 hours ago, Point Five said:

But theoretically, when you consign items on the MCS site couldn't you have the option to click a box and add or not add Best Offer for each one, just like you do on ebay? As opposed to it being something that is imposed on everyone.

 

Exactly.  If certain sellers don't want to entertain offers on their books, that would be up to them -- and just like eBay, they can choose to wait for months or years until the market rises to their inflated expectations or someone desperate enough comes along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,482 posts

Idk. When I was looking for a Superman Vol. 2 #75 CGC 9.8 SS, they had 1 listed for $600, while the FMV was around $150. They, themselves, had a couple listed for $150-175.

Not really sure what their protocol is for customers that have an outrageous asking price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,779 posts

Could the make an offer have limits we can set? Getting offers of $5 on $50 books gets old real fast.  Let the consigner set a number that anything below X is automatically rejected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,471 posts
17 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I agree with this. I consign A LOT with MCS. I don't want to jump through hoops to justify my pricing. I wouldn't ever price anything like that sweet restored Spidey, but I do price some things well above current market. In this market it only makes sense on certain things. I've set GPA records on plenty of books that at the time of pricing may have seemed outrageous. Books go from being $20 to $200 overnight these days though. Non key stuff I usually try to be the cheapest available unless that price would have me losing $. 

As far as best offer goes, I am against it.  I'm not interested in getting offers of $175 on my items priced at $200 when that book would sell for $200 without a best offer option. I price the majority of my stuff to be competitive with current pricing. I'd rather not bump things up that I don't feel deserve it just to haggle and end at the same price. I don't want unnecessary steps to end at the same result.  A lot of people that sell on Ebay loath the best offer option for this reasoning and more. 

 

You can auto reject low offers though, which means it’s of no concern to you at all if someone lowballs you. Once I got a message and the guy said “Let’s stop wasting both our times and you can just tell me the lowest you’ll take”  and something indicated he had submitted multiple offers that had been rejected. This was for 50 ounces of fine silver, I didn’t get any notifications that he had submitted offers. After a little looking I find the auto rejected offers and see its $8, $10, $12, ect. I told him to look up spot value of silver and work with that and that it’s not wasting my time at all to allow eBay to auto reject his ridiculous offers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,983 posts
13 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

Think it's safe to say adding a best offer capability is our most-requested feature. We are adding it, and it will be entirely optional--consignors don't have to use it if they don't want to. No definite date yet but we are getting there.

that would great....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
865 posts
2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Could the make an offer have limits we can set? Getting offers of $5 on $50 books gets old real fast.  Let the consigner set a number that anything below X is automatically rejected.

Yep, that's a good idea and a common feature for this kind of capability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,542 posts
6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

You can auto reject low offers though, which means it’s of no concern to you at all if someone lowballs you. Once I got a message and the guy said “Let’s stop wasting both our times and you can just tell me the lowest you’ll take”  and something indicated he had submitted multiple offers that had been rejected. This was for 50 ounces of fine silver, I didn’t get any notifications that he had submitted offers. After a little looking I find the auto rejected offers and see its $8, $10, $12, ect. I told him to look up spot value of silver and work with that and that it’s not wasting my time at all to allow eBay to auto reject his ridiculous offers

I'm just going to opt out, so I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for the insight though :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,813 posts
On 4/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, Point Five said:
On 4/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, mycomicshop said:

Not sure if that was an accident on the part of the consignor or what, but I emailed him to let him know. He priced it earlier today.

We currently do not impose any price controls on items priced by our consignors, and occasionally something odd like this gets attention. I intend to add some guardrails to consignment pricing in a future update. The goal will be to limit unrealistic pricing while still preserving as much consignor freedom and flexibility as we can.

We've had this debate here before. Honestly, I think you guys do a great job with your current model. The offer of 'guardrails' for consignors is nice, but I wonder if it's even feasible. There are just endless variables with comics that factor into the pricing. So much is subjective.

Agreed. While I have argued in the past that radically unrealistic pricing makes reputable sellers look bad in intangible ways, putting up guardrails could easily..easily...swing the other way if forced.

Here's a suggestion, for whatever it's worth: when a radically unrealistic price is noted, a "guide" message can be sent to the seller, noting a range of pricing for similar items, which they then can be told might be more successful for them if they tried...without even going into how coo coo bananas their price is. Something like "here's what similar items have sold for in the past; we hope this might be a guide to help you succeed in your sales." And then make sure the algorithm is set so that you don't get eBay's ridiculous "you've listed a 9.8 X-Men #94. Here's what a VG copy of #163 (raw of course) recently sold for!" nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,138 posts
9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yay.

PS. Totally unrelated: Este is a gem, a true asset to Lonestar, and worth ten times what you pay her. Please, PLEASE keep this consummate professional on the team as long as possible.

:cloud9:

 

Wish I could ‘like’ this post more than once. Totally agree.  :applause:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
210 posts
On 4/24/2019 at 12:55 AM, revat said:

what's a 'quid' again?  Is it British slang for 'squid'?

Yea a quid or squid is a pound coin. Like a buck is a dollar bill for you lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,028 posts
1 minute ago, Dan82 said:

Yea a quid or squid is a pound coin. Like a buck is a dollar bill for you lot.

That's what I figured from movies like Hot Fuzz or Sean of the dead...

Hard to believe things in those movies cost a quid or a couple :foryou:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,342 posts
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Agreed. While I have argued in the past that radically unrealistic pricing makes reputable sellers look bad in intangible ways, putting up guardrails could easily..easily...swing the other way if forced.

Here's a suggestion, for whatever it's worth: when a radically unrealistic price is noted, a "guide" message can be sent to the seller, noting a range of pricing for similar items, which they then can be told might be more successful for them if they tried...without even going into how coo coo bananas their price is. Something like "here's what similar items have sold for in the past; we hope this might be a guide to help you succeed in your sales." And then make sure the algorithm is set so that you don't get eBay's ridiculous "you've listed a 9.8 X-Men #94. Here's what a VG copy of #163 (raw of course) recently sold for!" nonsense.

That's a great idea. But it doesn't even have to be based on past sales. The feature could generate a sample of similar items currently available on ebay! It's already there, in a way, done by Ebay right now at the bottom of each listing page. Related or the same item as the listing ("You may also be interested in this"). This way if a consignor can see how to competitively price his item, based on the ask for other similar pieces, through a side by side comparison and price accordingly if he really wants it to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3