• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRUE Provenance of SA Keys . . . Before it's too late.

15 posts in this topic

As I reflect on the passage of time in our hobby, I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread with the goal of establishing the provenance of certain high grade SA Keys that didn't come from one of the designated pedigrees or "collections" recognized by CGC and the other grading company :bigsmile:. We all know from personal experience how and when certain books came to light, were obtained, and eventually slabbed, but often the present owner doesn't have a clue. As my lovely wife liked to say, "They're not making them anymore!"

So if you own one, and are curious, or if you once owned one and have knowledge that wasn't passed on in a sale (and want to share it) here might be a good place to post it. Only books that are traceable through registration numbers today, but previous owners that have something to contribute to the line of  provenance should post (unless it's a question about a traceable book) with accuracy being the utmost goal.

I'l post something later (but I'm already late for work . . . and I ain't gettin' any younger!) lol

That leaves me out.  Pretty certain that most every high grade Silver Age key that I've sold has been pressed and re-graded, and so now carries a new certification number.

Edited by namisgr

8 hours ago, namisgr said:

That leaves me out.  Pretty certain that most every high grade Silver Age key that I've sold has been pressed and re-graded, and so now carries a new certification number.

Ouch, doesn't anyone play by the rules anymore? lol 

Certainly, the pressing and regrading crowd keeps their old labels (or at least scans of them) hm

The majority of the Mister Woo high grade SA Marvel collection that was slabbed by Voldy came from an original owner who was vending at a Portland, OR comicon. This included the early ASM and Silver Surfer runs. I believe the high grade early FF's from this vendor (who has since retired in Australia) where grabbed at that same comicon by a large mail order dealer from Castlerock, WA.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:32 PM, divad said:

Okay for starters, one very dear to me . . .

Tales of Suspense #52 CGC 9.4 White Pages

6 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Beautiful book. What is it’s provenance?

I bought this book from Josh Gray (a fellow boardie) in early 2011. I think I "remember" he told me he bought it at a small con in southern Cal, when he and his brother were avidly collecting. The striking qualities of the book were the absolute bright white pages, the absence of any spine tics, and that certain roundness to the spine that an unpressed "pamphlet" should always exhibit. :bigsmile: In hand, I thought is was a slam dunk 9.4, and with the unique patch of distributor ink at the TEBC, a uniquely identifiable book, if ever broken out. I sold it to one of the ComicLink reps here on the boards, and was paid by another Josh (Nathanson). From there on I noticed that it sold on Comiclink rather quickly (before September 2011 for considerably more), and I have no idea who is the current owner. If the current owner wants to know more I can hook him up with Josh Gray, who used to hang out in the OA section. :smile:

I wish I could say this one was a "tomato boxer" from my OO, but alas, it was another "keen" acquisition. :shy:

Edited by divad

I never owned this book, but this thread reminds me of an older thread I saw from a few years ago.

This Adventure 247 was from the David Toth collection that Heritage auctioned off in 2008. The Toth collection, I always felt, should have been designated a pedigree by CGC but wasn't. CGC graded the book originally an 8.5 when it was the Toth.

About a year or so later, the book reappeared in another auction house's auction as a 9.2 and lost any connection to the Toth provenance.

image.png.dd248aa88249a63589369edafca12ab2.png

11 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

I never owned this book, but this thread reminds me of an older thread I saw from a few years ago.

This Adventure 247 was from the David Toth collection that Heritage auctioned off in 2008. The Toth collection, I always felt, should have been designated a pedigree by CGC but wasn't. CGC graded the book originally an 8.5 when it was the Toth.

About a year or so later, the book reappeared in another auction house's auction as a 9.2 and lost any connection to the Toth provenance.

image.png.dd248aa88249a63589369edafca12ab2.png

Damn what a book! Probably my fave DC.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, namisgr said:

As it happens some were saved from the scourge.

ST131CGC94_1.jpg

ST150CGC96_1.jpg

ST151CGC96_1.jpg

ST157CGC96_1.jpg

ST158CGC96_1.jpg

Edited by SilverAgeGuy

It would be great if those were all unpressed gems, but I wouldn't be too sure of that, especially the Twin Cities books that were in the hands of Heritage before hitting the market and the Rocky Mountain books that came from Comiclink.

I'm almost certain the Twin Cities book is pressed, and the Rocky mountain may very well be, they both have the typical pressed look. The other 3 however are not. I just wanted to put them out there as a group, since they were all formerly yours, and I do keep track of where all my books come from. Unfortunately these days its almost impossible to put together a collection of high grade silver age that doesn't contain pressed books, especially if you collect pedigree books like i do.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:56 PM, aardvark88 said:

The majority of the Mister Woo high grade SA Marvel collection that was slabbed by Voldy came from an original owner who was vending at a Portland, OR comicon. This included the early ASM and Silver Surfer runs. I believe the high grade early FF's from this vendor (who has since retired in Australia) where grabbed at that same comicon by a large mail order dealer from Castlerock, WA.

Thank you. I wish Mr. Magik Woo would come here and speak (maybe he already is/has) (shrug). I reckon he’s got some important stories. As Barry Sandoval of Heritage says, "One does not call Mr. Woo, Mr Woo calls you."

Regardless, I appreciate your letting us know somewhat something about the man. 

Am I incorrect that Crazy Charlie (Portland vendor ?) is deceased?

Edited by NoMan