• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, justafan said:

actually I think i was wrong, at least in the sense that MCU gave capt marvel a haircut to emphasize any implied sexual orientation. turns out that's her current haircut in the comics so perhaps it was the comics that chose to emphasize it and MCU just followed suit. I'm not against her being portayed as a lesbian if that's even what they are going for, i just asumed they were going to attempt to be more ambiguous about it. frankly i just dont like the way it looks on her. my lesbian friends all agree that haircut screams coming out haircut. who knows.

Carol was most recently in a relationship with Rhodey in the comics.  The style in the comics looks great, it's just the hair stylist on set did a terrible job.  Honestly, Tilda Swinton's rocked the short hair look well at times, they should have just gotten her stylist.  Hell, even ScarJo's gone short.  Carol's hair looked like a 90's mom hair style...which i suppose is fitting since she left earth in the 90s.

Just finally saw the movie. I'm really surprised that there is no love for the rat that just so happened to walk across the quantum control panel just right to bring Scott back, thus setting into motion the 1 in 14 million or so chance Dr. Strange saw to set things right. Of course, how many times and how long had that rat been crawling over the control panel until it finally hit some buttons in the right sequence, 5 years maybe???

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Just finally saw the movie. I'm really surprised that there is no love for the rat that just so happened to walk across the quantum control panel just right to bring Scott back, thus setting into motion the 1 in 14 million or so chance Dr. Strange saw to set things right. Of course, how many times and how long had that rat been crawling over the control panel until it finally hit some buttons in the right sequence, 5 years maybe???

The fact that it took 5 years for a rat to do this kinda earns the movie a pass in that regard IMO.

But yeah, as I mentioned before, the Time Stone revealing 1 of 14,000,605 futures as a win is really a built-in reason for anything and everything that happens. That's just what MacGuffins do and why they needed to leave the MCU.

Am I correct that the whole purpose of going 5 years is for Tony to have a daughter/family life and create that conflict of him not wanting to help etc etc 

The 5 years is a huge mistake in my opinion 

hey peter you’ve been gone 5 years but luckily your friends also were gone and let’s go to Europe and have an adventure 

32 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Am I correct that the whole purpose of going 5 years is for Tony to have a daughter/family life and create that conflict of him not wanting to help etc etc 

The 5 years is a huge mistake in my opinion 

hey peter you’ve been gone 5 years but luckily your friends also were gone and let’s go to Europe and have an adventure 

Sort of.

It's also a proper use of subversion (take notes, Johnson). Fans expected Tony and Cap to bury the hatchet early. Rather, Stark still resents Rogers and distances himself from the Avengers.

IMO it's not a mistake, because they're conveying the dissonance of the world (and universe) not only immediately, but ages after The Decimation. It's also makes the movie feel like a true sequel rather than "Infinity War Part II".

We shouldn't be focusing on the future implications of this event. That's why there was no credit scenes. Being concerned with Spider-Man's out-of-time repercussions makes no sense until Far From Home. It's likely explained then.

Overall, I thought the movie was better written and paced than Infinity War. Lots of touching moments that really pulled on the heart strings. Biggest disappointment was Capt. Marvel. The character (and/or) Brie Larson's portrayal is just flat. I just can't get invested in her or have the same empathy for her I have for the other characters. Maybe it's because she's a newcomer, but hell, Scarlet Witch put a deeper and more believable confrontation against Thanos than Captain Marvel did in the final battle. 

Through all the movies, I must say Black Widow's development and part in everything was the best. She was the one with unbelievable courage, heart and humanity that pulled the team back time and time again like with Hulk/Bruce earlier and Ronin/Clint in this movie. Her sacrifice is the one that stung the most to me personally and they carried it through to show how much it hurt to Bruce and Clint too. 

6 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Overall, I thought the movie was better written and paced than Infinity War. Lots of touching moments that really pulled on the heart strings. Biggest disappointment was Capt. Marvel. The character (and/or) Brie Larson's portrayal is just flat. I just can't get invested in her or have the same empathy for her I have for the other characters. Maybe it's because she's a newcomer, but hell, Scarlet Witch put a deeper and more believable confrontation against Thanos than Captain Marvel did in the final battle. 

Through all the movies, I must say Black Widow's development and part in everything was the best. She was the one with unbelievable courage, heart and humanity that pulled the team back time and time again like with Hulk/Bruce earlier and Ronin/Clint in this movie. Her sacrifice is the one that stung the most to me personally and they carried it through to show how much it hurt to Bruce and Clint too. 

1. Brie Larson just can't act the part. "You got something for me Peter Parker?" She doesn't move her face. There's a long review out there about this that really had me laughing out loud about how much it damaged her character by not using her face when she talks.

2. I agree that Romanoff has a huge character arc. Maybe the 2nd biggest in the Infinity Saga. I think that Iron Man's is a little more drastic, though. He goes from the definition of selfish, to completely selfless. Natasha's is a little more gradual and I think a little less transparent because of her being mostly a secondary character without a movie with her name in the title.

45 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

1. Brie Larson just can't act the part. "You got something for me Peter Parker?" She doesn't move her face. There's a long review out there about this that really had me laughing out loud about how much it damaged her character by not using her face when she talks.

2. I agree that Romanoff has a huge character arc. Maybe the 2nd biggest in the Infinity Saga. I think that Iron Man's is a little more drastic, though. He goes from the definition of selfish, to completely selfless. Natasha's is a little more gradual and I think a little less transparent because of her being mostly a secondary character without a movie with her name in the title.

I agree to the totality of Tony's part. He grew as a person from selfish brat to selfless sacrifice. He saw he could use his scientific brilliance for more than just making weapons and getting rich, but his approach was always very logical, practical and fearless. Sometimes this backfired as in the creation of Ultron, but he kept learning from failures and pressing forward. He carried a grudge and resentment until he realized it was hurting him and those around him and was holding him back. Grasping humility, forgiveness and trust and swallowing his pride was the step forward he was looking for, but not until he convinced himself it was the necessary and logical thing to do.  

I really do not get the Captain Marvel hate - I think her smirk and the attitude she portrays is perfect for the version of Captain Marvel they want, she is different and fresh, and I think really handles the role well.  She is viewed as the most powerful and believes she is, she acts serious, and she is indifferent to the lesser/more human characters - but I think that is intentional, because while she is human, she is very powerful now, thought she was kree, and spends her time fighting and solving issues throughout the universe - so maybe human emotions and problems are trivial to her?

Of course people are not going to have the same attachment to her yet - she is a brand new character - but I like the direction they are going with her. 

I do think the loss of RDJ in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to be tough - I am not sure how they are going to handle it, but I am excited to find out.

It’s hilarious that some of you think Black Widow has a good story arc. 

Starts off as a Sex Kitten. 

Calls herself a “monster” (her words) because she can’t conceive a child. Meanwhile Iron Man, Thor and Captain can’t or won’t start a family, but they’re ok. 

Then the “mom” who holds the fort down while all the men go out and have kids, get their revenge on, get famous, get fat... in other words DO something. 

And when the time comes she sacrifices herself so the real hero, Iron Man can make the REAL sacrifice in the story - get all the credit - the big funeral, etc. 

She’s been there to help move along the male character arcs from day one. 

Sheesh, no wonder some of you hate Captain Marvel. 

8 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I really do not get the Captain Marvel hate - I think her smirk and the attitude she portrays is perfect for the version of Captain Marvel they want, she is different and fresh, and I think really handles the role well.  She is viewed as the most powerful and believes she is, she acts serious, and she is indifferent to the lesser/more human characters - but I think that is intentional, because while she is human, she is very powerful now, thought she was kree, and spends her time fighting and solving issues throughout the universe - so maybe human emotions and problems are trivial to her?

Of course people are not going to have the same attachment to her yet - she is a brand new character - but I like the direction they are going with her. 

I do think the loss of RDJ in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to be tough - I am not sure how they are going to handle it, but I am excited to find out.

Me too. 

Glad to see she isn’t another ‘sex kitten’ who waits around to sacrifice herself so one of the male characters can get all the glory and credit. 

4 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Here we go...can't have a differing opinion from the master of all things women without being berated for it lol 

Weird. I have a differing opinion so it’s ‘berating’ someone? Who gets to decide who gets to have a differing opinion? You?

Anyone who can’t handle a discussion of differing ideas probably shouldn’t hang on a public forum. You put an opinion out there it’s a possibility someone might disagree with it.

You’re more than free to state your opinion any time you want here. Don’t YOU tell ME I can’t. YOU don’t have that right. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

4 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Hey, you interpreted it that way...I wouldn't dare tell someone they should or have to think like me.

I think it's hilarious that you think CM is a better (or even equal) character than BW.

And you’re free to think that. Name calling, not so much. 

You dislike me enough to make your ‘master of all things women’ comment and try and paint ME as the one stopping people from stating their opinion - maybe you should put me on ignore. 

It’s where I’m putting you.  

I’m the LAST person to censor ANYONE. I’m open to any and all discussion of the subjects I talk about as long as they don’t include racism, sexism, homophobia and any other ugly hateful rhetoric. 

There are OTHERS here, who can’t stand to be questioned on their beliefs - go talk to them. 

Me? I’ve never censored anyone. I’m ALWAYS open to continuing the conversation. 

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I can understand why she's supposed to be a bit flat due to her background. But I'm hoping they'll make her a bit more fleshed out and likable. 

Seems like Captain Marvel has fallen into the Comicgate realm of discussion so most every conversation pro or con goes off the rails.

Edited by Rip

14 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

No, I like reading how you shut down everyone else's opinions while championing your own...always makes me "chuck"lelol

You are mistaken. I don’t have the ability to ‘shut anyone down’. They’re free to state their opinion. I can’t stop them from posting. 

See how that works? It’s actually YOU that’s trying to paint me as having some magical power to ‘shut everyone down’, as a way to make ME stop talking about the subject. 

Maybe you should stick to the subject of the thread conversation and stop making it about ME - stop making it personal - and coming up with imaginary powers that I have to try and change the subject. 

Its YOU who has stopped ME from discussing the topic by making it personal.