• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

That doesn't stop you from trying your darndest to make yourself seem like some sort of victim, does it?  You've been treating this topic as personal from the start....essentially calling posters stupid or misogynistic for not agreeing with you.  Nobody is stopping you, are they?  You seem to be able to post just as much as before.  But what's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander.  Why don't you put me on ignore since you seem to be so sensitive to my posts? 

23 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

That doesn't stop you from trying your darndest to make yourself seem like some sort of victim, does it? 

Victim? You are very confused. 

Which word was it that confused you? In no way have I ever tried to present myself as a victim. That’s hilarious. 

You've been treating this topic as personal from the start....essentially calling posters stupid

No. Haven’t called anyone stupid. Once again, you’re making stuff up and making it about ME, creating fantasy scenarios. 

or misogynistic for not agreeing with you. 

They’re only misogynistic if they’re misogynistic. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with me. 

Nobody is stopping you, are they?

Yes. You are NOT discussing the topic of the thread. You are discussing ME. That is stopping the topic and thus ME from discussing it. 

You seem to be able to post just as much as before.  But what's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander. 

I haven’t stopped anyone. I haven’t made it personal with anyone. The trolls I dealt with before are on ignore and I no longer interact with them. Why this is confusing for you is strange. 

Who am I having a conversation with concerning THEM personally and not the topic at hand?

No one. 

That’s what YOU are doing. 

Why don't you put me on ignore since you seem to be so sensitive to my posts? 

You’re posts haven’t been sensitive to me at all, until you decided to call me a name and pretend I have imaginary Internet forum powers. 

Previous to that you simply made your snide little comments from the sideline and I basically ‘chuck’led at them and breezed right by. 

You basically HAVE been on ignore because you haven’t contributed anything to this conversation until you decided to call me a name and claim I have super powers. 

So learn the forum guidelines and either ADD to the topic or stay out of it. Making it personal is against the forum rules. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

fitting conclusion to a truly epic undertaking.  there were some dogs along the way but Kevin Feige belongs in the Hollywood Pantheon for being the architect of an incredible 11 year ride.

favorite moments: Fat Thor, Cap vs Cap, Wakandans emerging from the darkness, Captain Marvel obliterating the warship, Cap handing over the shield (although I thought it would be Bucky),  Thor riding shotgun w/ the GOTG

44 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Ok, bud then hump that button!  Do your forum police thang!

tenor (2).gif

See? Still making it about me. 

Members who don’t add to the discussion, but rather just go after other specific members are ‘trolling’. 

If that’s your thing, have at it. Some people contribute to the boards. Some go trolling. 

2 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Yep!  I totally agree!  And its about both of us...don't short yourself on that blame stick, buckaroo!

I was discussing the topic. You derailed it. I was simply defending myself and educating you on forum guidelines.

At no time did I respond to your on-topic post by calling you a name and then proceed to make up stories about you.

Throughout this tirade you have: called me a name - made unsubstantiated claims about me - post off-topic about ME - repeat this process again and again - then defend yourself by claiming I’m a ‘button humper’, as if your sad display of posting etiquette was somehow defendable for if I chose to report it - and now, finally, closing with ‘you do it too!’

Bravo.

You have achieved all seven levels of trolling hell in a single outing. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

"It’s hilarious that some of you think Black Widow has a good story arc. "

"Sheesh, no wonder some of you hate Captain Marvel. "

I'm confused, these two statements seem contradictory.  People like the Black Widow arc, and yet somehow that also equates to hating on the other female character?  If someone were to like one arc as a statement about female empowerment, wouldn't that mean they should like both characters?

I think the point about Black Widow's arc is that she went from being a loner to finally having the only family she has ever known.

13 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Cap handing over the shield (although I thought it would be Bucky)

You'll notice in Black Panther and Infinity War, Bucky is basically done fighting and is just looking for a peaceful life.  Cap and Bucky have a special relationship where they know each other so well.  For example, Bucky knows Steve is going to live out his life in the past.  That's why he remarks "i'm gonna miss you pal" even though the plan is for Steve to only be gone 5 seconds.  By the same token, Steve knows Bucky is done fighting and wouldn't want the shield or even the burden of carrying the mantle.  Hence why Sam is the natural fit to carry on the title of Captain America.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm confused, these two statements seem contradictory.  People like the Black Widow arc, and yet somehow that also equates to hating on the other female character?  If someone were to like one arc as a statement about female empowerment, wouldn't that mean they should like both characters?

I think the point about Black Widow's arc is that she went from being a loner to finally having the only family she has ever known.

Black Widow is a character created simply to help move the other male character stories along. 

Her death, lightly addressed in the movie compared to Tony’s (even though without her sacrifice, Tony wouldn’t have HAD his moment) is to move Hawkeyes story along. 

Thats what female characters in the MCU have been about. Sidekicks, whining spouses, token non-white males, secondary characters. She’s defined by what she does for the men around her. (Really you can make this point about most of the minorities in the MCU too, up until BP)

Captain Marvel (and BP) needed no assistance from Old School Marvel Superheroes. They stood on their own. That is part of what drives the overwhelming dislike that some of the internet has for them. (On top of the audacity to be black or female, they actually can handle things on their own)  

They're not your typical sidekick, whining spouse, comic relief, token minority, secondary character. 

They can and will stand on their own merits. 

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Hence why Sam is the natural fit to carry on the title of Captain America.

Think also another reason would be Bucky's past as the winter soldier. Though he was brainwashed, he still had blood on his hands. And for the public at large who wouldn't have all the facts,  he wouldn't be the right candidate to take over the mantle. 

They did give him an homage by having Bucky nod his approval when Sam looked at him before accepting the shield.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I was discussing the topic. You derailed it. I was simply defending myself and educating you on forum guidelines.

At no time did I respond to your on-topic post by calling you a name and then proceed to make up stories about you.

Throughout this tirade you have: called me a name - made unsubstantiated claims about me - post off-topic about ME - repeat this process again and again - then defend yourself by claiming I’m a ‘button humper’, as if your sad display of posting etiquette was somehow defendable for if I chose to report it - and now, finally, closing with ‘you do it too!’

Bravo.

You have achieved all seven levels of trolling hell in a single outing. 

Haha your congrats mean everything to me!  This has been fun though, you seem to always get your undergarments in a twist when people disagree with your "on topic" posts about BW not being as good a character because she's a "sex kitten" and a "mom" or some nonsense and not a bland, charisma-less, frumpy pants like CM.  The fact is YOU can say whatever you want, whenever you like and think that no one else is entitled to a different opinion or they're a "troll" or "comicsgate nut."  Somewhere along the line you became the be-all end-all authority on feminism in film and woe betide thee who would DARE argue!

I dont quite agree that her death was lightly addressed in the movie. They had several scenes building up to her death e.g. scenes between cap and her talking about family and between Clint and her , reflecting on their long history.  And she was no token anything. She was the defacto boss having even capt marvel updating her.  Even after her death, there were several scenes remembering her. I always wondered how they would write her in from the early days as she had no superpowers but think they did an amazing job in fleshing out her character. Some may have felt her death more strongly than that of tony

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Calls herself a “monster” (her words) because she can’t conceive a child. Meanwhile Iron Man, Thor and Captain can’t or won’t start a family, but they’re ok. 

Wait, what?

I vaguely remember her thinking of herself as a “monster”. My memory is that she viewed herself that way because of the seedy stuff she did as s spy.  Along the lines of the back-and-forth her Clint have about who has more blood on their hands when trying to get the Soul Stone. 

I don’t remember her viewing herself as a “monster” just because she couldn’t have kids. Maybe she couldn’t conceive as a consequence of the bad stuff she had done previously, but don’t remember the lack of kids in and of itself being the reason. 

Granted, it’s been awhile since I last watched the first Avengers movie, and Ultron was a one-and-done for me. So if the line was in those that’s probably why I don’t remember clearly. 

Which film did this dialogue take place in?

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Wait, what?

I vaguely remember her thinking of herself as a “monster”. My memory is that she viewed herself that way because of the seedy stuff she did as s spy.  Along the lines of the back-and-forth her Clint have about who has more blood on their hands when trying to get the Soul Stone. 

I don’t remember her viewing herself as a “monster” just because she couldn’t have kids. Maybe she couldn’t conceive as a consequence of the bad stuff she had done previously, but don’t remember the lack of kids in and of itself being the reason. 

Granted, it’s been awhile since I last watched the first Avengers movie, and Ultron was a one-and-done for me. So if the line was in those that’s probably why I don’t remember clearly. 

Which film did this dialogue take place in?

https://news.avclub.com/joss-whedon-finally-explains-black-widow-s-monster-li-1798254111

“She said she was a monster because she was an assassin,” he wrote. “Being rendered infertile made her feel unnatural, made her feel cut off from the natural world. But it was her actions that defined her. Her murdery actions. That’s what ‘monster’ meant.”

Edited by Rip

6 minutes ago, Rip said:

https://news.avclub.com/joss-whedon-finally-explains-black-widow-s-monster-li-1798254111

“She said she was a monster because she was an assassin,” he wrote. “Being rendered infertile made her feel unnatural, made her feel cut off from the natural world. But it was her actions that defined her. Her murdery actions. That’s what ‘monster’ meant.”

Thanks for the clip, now I don’t have to re-watch Ultron. lol

From Wedon’s comments it sounds like I picked up on the intent, but the scene is written in such a way that I can see how some might misinterpret. 

59 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Haha your congrats mean everything to me!  This has been fun though, you seem to always get your undergarments in a twist when people disagree with your "on topic" posts about BW not being as good a character because she's a "sex kitten" and a "mom" or some nonsense and not a bland, charisma-less, frumpy pants like CM.  The fact is YOU can say whatever you want, whenever you like and think that no one else is entitled to a different opinion or they're a "troll" or "comicsgate nut."  Somewhere along the line you became the be-all end-all authority on feminism in film and woe betide thee who would DARE argue!

No one has stopped you from saying any of this. But nice try, slugger.