• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

I finally saw this movie tonite (this morning, actually- went to the midnite showing) and really enjoyed it.
I liked the way they wrapped up the Tony Stark / Steve Rogers / Natasha storyline(s).  This reminds me of Avengers #16 in the comics - the "original" Avengers leave and a (mostly) new group takes over.  There were a  lot of angry letters to the editor when that happened, but it ended up working out pretty well.  :smile:
Personally, I think the creators wrapped up this "original" MCU Avengers storyline perfectly.  There was a beginning (Iron Man with the introduction of the "Avengers Initiative"), a middle, and an end (Endgame).  You know, a complete story.

-Just wonderful.  And this prevents what I feel is wrong with these characters in the comics.  There is no end.  It's not really a story any more.  It just goes on and on - repackaging the same accounts over and over again, shocking "deaths" that don't last, retcons upon retcons.  Paradoxically, sometimes great characters can become victims of their own success.  When I (on occasion) read a new Spider-Man comic, it's clear this is not really the same Peter Parker that Ditko & Lee created in 1962.  His story should have ended some time ago, instead of some never-ending status-quo.

The original MCU Avengers line-up ends in a blaze of glory.  And with one of the highest-grossing box offices of all time and topping a record-setting franchise in more ways than one.
"Always leave them wanting more."

-Just perfect.  Bravo Marvel Studios!  I know I couldn't have done any better.  This is what I've been waiting for since I started reading Marvel in 1964, before Marvel adopted "the (never-ending) illusion of change".
I'd bet Stan, Jack, and Steve would be proud.

:rulez:

Captain Marvel must be recognized at least three (3) times by board requirements. Otherwise... :sumo:

:baiting:

both the Captain Marvel Movie thread and now this one have been infected by these virulent Captain Marvel/Brie Larson hating nimrods, and most of the time their hatred is only matched by there inexhaustible denials and deflections of said hatred and some truly pathetic alternate explanations and rationalizations. I'd hoped it was just a vocal minority of online basement dwelling keyboard warriors, but last weekend I got a sense of it IRL.

I went to the LCS, something I do maybe once or twice a year. I was interested in seeing some of the recent Avengers comics, sense I knew they had brought Conan into the Avengers somehow.  I don't read or collect new comics, but keep a vague eye on things from CBR, and once in a while something will pique my interest. Anyway, all the titles and numbering and alternate covers had me pretty lost, so my first mistake was to ask the other customer in the LCS a question. He was quite happy to talk about the recent Avengers and point out some #1 with like a dozen alternate covers, and which ones he had, and like, and.....disliked.  He had seen Endgame, and was clearly a Marvel fanboy, but he refused to buy any cover with Captain Marvel on it.  He made some comment about Brie Larson, and the character, and the Endgame scene with all the female heroes but thankfully didn't go on a rant about it.  I took a good look at the guy, early 30's, white, male, missing a front tooth, tobacco or cigarette stained teeth.  No wedding ring. Highly likely some form of alcohol or substance abuse currently or in the past.  Not a lummox, spoke in complete sentences, hardcore comic fan but clearly his prejudice and intimidation was showing. You're typical misogynist.  He's too insecure to even like a fictitious comic book character, because he can't identify with a powerful woman. It's as simple as that. All these haters and comicsgaters are the same. They are flawed/inferior to and cannot identify with a competent female.  Therefore they must tear them down to their level. It's the fundamental reason racism and sexism persists in the USA.  On some level I feel sorry for them, they are pitiful creatures, easily enraged and manipulated.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So with all the emotional buildup to that final Soul Stone scene in Infinity War...

...So what came of this?

I honestly just took that as a guilt laden dream Thanos had while temporarily knocked out from the snap, not necessarily him talking with a 'soul' within the gem. 

2 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I honestly just took that as a guilt laden dream Thanos had while temporarily knocked out from the snap, not necessarily him talking with a 'soul' within the gem. 

Although the MCU doesn't follow the lore of comic books, the design of the stone and it being sentient and seeking to fill its Soul Universe seemed to be within reason for a comic book movie.

I assumed we were going to find out how it had taken in Gamora's soul during the sacrifice act.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although the MCU doesn't follow the lore of comic books, the design of the stone and it being sentient and seeking to fill its Soul Universe seemed to be within reason for a comic book movie.

I assumed we were going to find out how it had taken in Gamora's soul during the sacrifice act.

Yeah, I remember it being done in the comics but feel that would have been another level of exposition in an already heavy film (especially having to explain why they other stones are not like that as well). I would prefer they stay away from that and just have left her dead-dead (without any time shenanigans)

13 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah, I remember it being done in the comics but feel that would have been another level of exposition in an already heavy film (especially having to explain why they other stones are not like that as well). I would prefer they stay away from that and just have left her dead-dead (without any time shenanigans)

But then if we are wanting to keep the story details above the depths, why have Cap return all the Infinity Stones to their original timeline points? They could end up being misused by someone else since:

1) Thor: The Dark World - Putting it back into Jane Foster leads to it being extracted leading to the Reality Stone going to The Collector for safekeeping (who has his own plans for it).

2) Guardians of the Galaxy - Peter ends up taking the Power Stone from Morag which is intended for that dealer on Xandar. Now with no Gamora to interfere in this, that Stone can go to anyone. Better they had taken it while in the possession of the Nova Corps.

So there is already a level of depth in taking these back to the point in time they were removed from already.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

But then if we are wanting to keep the story details above the depths, why have Cap return all the Infinity Stones to their original timeline points? They could end up being misused by someone else since:

1) Thor: The Dark World - Putting it back into Jane Foster leads to it being extracted leading to the Reality Stone going to The Collector for safekeeping (who has his own plans for it).

2) Guardians of the Galaxy - Peter ends up taking the Power Stone from Morag which is intended for that dealer on Xandar. Now with no Gamora to interfere in this, that Stone can go to anyone. Better they had taken it while in the possession of the Nova Corps.

So there is already a level of depth in taking these back to the point in time they were removed from already.

I"m not talking about 'depth' being returning the stones (as they as a separate story element), but rather the unique properties of each stone (such as the soul stone specifically being sentient) which doesn't add anything to the story. The audience only needs to know these stones are powerful and a generic property (power, time, etc...) - anything after that is superfluous. I'm just saying there is zero reason to introduce and explore the idea of trapped souls and a sentient rock :D

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not talking about "scenes", I'm talking about moments. When the guns point upwards towards a light behind the clouds, that was an awesome visual and story moment where people in the theater clapped or whispered "It's Captain Marvel!"

Then when Carol bursts upwards from the exploding Sanctuary 2, more clapping from the audience, as that was another great visual MOMENT. 

There were several great visual moments throughout the entire 3 hour movie, and Carol Danvers had some of the strongest moments.

You're arguing semantics? Scene, moment, same thing. The Sanctuary II guns pointing upwards are nothing special lol. You must've went to MJR or something. No one cared about that scene any of the times I've seen it.

Destroying Sanctuary II was cool, but again nothing special. Scarlet Witch could've done it if she wasn't already trying to kill Thanos. AKA "assist" and not "goal".

Captain Marvel had 0 of the consensus best scenes in the movie. Visual or otherwise. And this was good for the movie and MCU fans.

2 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

both the Captain Marvel Movie thread and now this one have been infected by these virulent Captain Marvel/Brie Larson hating nimrods, and most of the time their hatred is only matched by there inexhaustible denials and deflections of said hatred and some truly pathetic alternate explanations and rationalizations. I'd hoped it was just a vocal minority of online basement dwelling keyboard warriors, but last weekend I got a sense of it IRL.

I went to the LCS, something I do maybe once or twice a year. I was interested in seeing some of the recent Avengers comics, sense I knew they had brought Conan into the Avengers somehow.  I don't read or collect new comics, but keep a vague eye on things from CBR, and once in a while something will pique my interest. Anyway, all the titles and numbering and alternate covers had me pretty lost, so my first mistake was to ask the other customer in the LCS a question. He was quite happy to talk about the recent Avengers and point out some #1 with like a dozen alternate covers, and which ones he had, and like, and.....disliked.  He had seen Endgame, and was clearly a Marvel fanboy, but he refused to buy any cover with Captain Marvel on it.  He made some comment about Brie Larson, and the character, and the Endgame scene with all the female heroes but thankfully didn't go on a rant about it.  I took a good look at the guy, early 30's, white, male, missing a front tooth, tobacco or cigarette stained teeth.  No wedding ring. Highly likely some form of alcohol or substance abuse currently or in the past.  Not a lummox, spoke in complete sentences, hardcore comic fan but clearly his prejudice and intimidation was showing. You're typical misogynist.  He's too insecure to even like a fictitious comic book character, because he can't identify with a powerful woman. It's as simple as that. All these haters and comicsgaters are the same. They are flawed/inferior to and cannot identify with a competent female.  Therefore they must tear them down to their level. It's the fundamental reason racism and sexism persists in the USA.  On some level I feel sorry for them, they are pitiful creatures, easily enraged and manipulated.

Aside from the majority of this post being irrelevant to Endgame...

None of the threads are 'overrun' by Captain Marvel "haters". Rather, people who find her character for what she is (bland, mediocre, sidekick), are berated for their opinions rather than simply accepted (and moved on from).

I said that Captain Marvel is a mediocre movie and was immediately attacked by people with agendas that I simply could not care less about. No one's opinion is more valid than mine, and to argue otherwise is entirely asinine.

Captain Marvel's mediocrity was absent for a long stretch in Endgame and it allowed fan service to pay off. I had the largest sigh of relief when she said, "you won't see me for awhile". I knew the Russo Bros. were doing something just. It gives a very long stretch of well-acted characters with connections to the audience and focuses on the nostalgia of the MCU.

Ok just got back from seeing it.  I loved it, great way to tie up and send off this crew.

My only complaint was that old cap only talked with Sam.  I've got no problems with Cap passing the mantle to Sam, but I found it odd that the guy he has known literally since he was a kid he didn't say jack diddly too.

Other than that, great movie.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Aside from the majority of this post being irrelevant to Endgame...

None of the threads are 'overrun' by Captain Marvel "haters". Rather, people who find her character for what she is (bland, mediocre, sidekick), are berated for their opinions rather than simply accepted (and moved on from).

I said that Captain Marvel is a mediocre movie and was immediately attacked by people with agendas that I simply could not care less about. No one's opinion is more valid than mine, and to argue otherwise is entirely asinine.

Captain Marvel's mediocrity was absent for a long stretch in Endgame and it allowed fan service to pay off. I had the largest sigh of relief when she said, "you won't see me for awhile". I knew the Russo Bros. were doing something just. It gives a very long stretch of well-acted characters with connections to the audience and focuses on the nostalgia of the MCU.

No, we called you out for your blatant sexism. You were flagrantly out of line.

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

My only complaint was that old cap only talked with Sam.  I've got no problems with Cap passing the mantle to Sam, but I found it odd that the guy he has known literally since he was a kid he didn't say jack diddly too.

Other than that, great movie.

Agreed 

31 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

No, we called you out for your blatant sexism. You were flagrantly out of line.

Unsurprisingly, you're incorrect. I posted literally nothing sexist. And literally nothing was "out of line" (evidenced by 0 posts being removed).

There is nothing sexist about Captain Marvel being a mediocre movie.

It kinda blows my mind how someone can be labelled as such when their opinion of Wonder Woman is very high... hm

Back to the topic of Avengers: Endgame and not individuals posting about it.

I just got back from my third time seeing Endgame, and it has gotten better for me with each viewing. The level of detail in this movie is incredible. I can also say after having seen Endgame twice in true IMAX 3D (including today) and once in standard screen 3D, the only way to see Endgame is in true IMAX.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

There is nothing sexist about Captain Marvel being a mediocre movie.

It kinda blows my mind how someone can be labelled as such when their opinion of Wonder Woman is very high... hm

It's easy actually. The MCU, AS A WHOLE, is really the only extended super-hero movie universe that matters in the public consciousness. Wonder Woman doesn't threaten the traditional hierarchy of the MCU which have Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor as fan favorites. Black Panther and Captain Marvel do threaten that universe for some people.

As a movie, Wonder Woman is also easier for non-feminist type folks to digest. In Wonder Woman, Steve Trevor still gets to mansplain to her, she still gets to be a love interest for Steve Trevor (and what's the purpose of a woman if she can't be a love interest?), she plays the proper straight man not only to Trevor but the other males in the movie who get to be messy, and Diana, above all, is still a princess. Carol Danvers is nobody's straight man, nobody's love interest, and certainly no princess.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As a movie, Wonder Woman is also easier for non-feminist type folks to digest. In Wonder Woman, Steve Trevor still gets to mansplain to her, she still gets to be a love interest for Steve Trevor (and what's the purpose of a woman if she can't be a love interest?), she plays the proper straight man not only to Trevor but the other males in the movie who get to be messy, and Diana, above all, is still a princess. Carol Danvers is nobody's straight man, nobody's love interest, and certainly no princess.

I've read a few times where you pointed this out. But then I remember you also noted in the Shazam thread racism was applied in the film. So it may come down to your perception of things versus reality.

Steve Trevor was serving as her ambassador to the modern world. But also as a spy intent on rushing back to share what he learned, knowing that WW I was raging and thousands were dying. So him calmly coaching her along would have seemed not taking the situation into account. When it came down to it, Diana set him straight sternly how things were going to be. You may have left to use the restroom during those scenes.

She certainly wasn't going to let anyone get in her way. You should watch this film. You may enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I've read a few times where you pointed this out. But then I remember you also noted in the Shazam thread racism was applied in the film. So it may come down to your perception of things versus reality.

Steve Trevor was serving as her ambassador to the modern world. But also as a spy intent on rushing back to share what he learned, knowing that WW I was raging and thousands were dying. So him calmly coaching her along would have seemed not taking the situation into account. When it came down to it, Diana set him straight sternly how things were going to be. You may have left to use the restroom during those scenes.

She certainly wasn't going to let anyone get in her way. You should watch this film. You may enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Wonder Woman. I just liked Captain Marvel better and thought it was a more feminist film for people who look for such things.