• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh my God!!! Another "I hate Brie Larson" clickbait youtube video! My mind is blown!!!!!!  

I just watched it versus responding to it rapidly to protest whatever was assumed here.

I get what the presenter was trying to convey. Brie Larson is actually a very personable individual. Just her conveying a message to be funny ends up misread accidentally due to her expressions and body language. So it's actually not a bashing video.

Not that I am taking sides either way is she serious or not. I like her in most movies.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I just watched it versus responding to it rapidly to protest whatever was assumed here.

I get what the presenter was trying to convey. Brie Larson is actually a very personable individual. Just her conveying a message to be funny ends up misread accidentally due to her expressions and body language. So it's actually not a bashing video.

Not that I am taking sides either way is she serious or not. I like her in most movies.

The presenter displays that, in the past at least, at some point she was personable.

It seems like she's morphed into prima donna, though. It's a real thing that happens to people. 'Big head' and all.

There's a Larson vs RDJ Twitter meme out there on the lesson of pride.

32 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The presenter displays that, in the past at least, at some point she was personable.

It seems like she's morphed into prima donna, though. It's a real thing that happens to people. 'Big head' and all.

There's a Larson vs RDJ Twitter meme out there on the lesson of pride.

To me, I think it is just Brie Larson intending to kid around. But being the new kid on the team (but with years of acting strength), her responses were misread by a portion of the audience. 

Once they get deeper into the interview, you can see they start to ease into the jokes and details. Including Brie recognizing how the original team established the groundwork new members will build upon. But like the video you posted, better she had responded maybe there should be a scene in a future movie where they fight and determine the stronger of the two. Don't allow for the viewers to assume 'EWWWW, THEY'RE FIGHTING!'

Thinking about it and trying to be objective (which is hard because I dislike any actor who tries to push a political agenda even Chris Evans) it's kinda silly to think Brie Larson is not a good actress. They don't just give oscars away you know for decent performances but hey, everyone has their opinions and they are just that. Her character IS former military and was in the Kree military and it's a stereotype but military individuals are typically pretty rigid so in that regard she maybe plays the character as it should be. To a certain degree that is how Chris Evans plays Cap and only towards the end starts to lighten up. I actually liked her more the second go around in Avengers and they used her just enough to make her relevant without taking away from the main 6. 

As to Captain Marvel being the linchpin and being able to keep Marvel successful to this degree, well I just don't see anyone capable of that. You just don't just replace RDJ and move on. He had IT, he just did and some people do and some people don't. You could see it when he came out at SDDC or any of those events. People went bonkers when he was around. 

The movies will still do good but is any of the leftover actors capable of doing what RDJ did with Avengers and the possibility of $2 and 3 Billion movies? I really don't see it happening but if it does good for them and I am sure it will be an entertaining ride if so. Not much a bold prediction without Avengers hype to grab onto neither BP 2 or CM 2 will make over $1 Billion worldwide. I just don't see it happening but we'll see.

Just now, Mystafo said:

Man, Don Cheadle looks like he's wasting away to nothing!  Eat something, for christsake, bro!

I was thinking the same thing about how skinny he has gotten. I wonder if it is for a future role?

Meh, plenty of tricks left in the bag. Let’s see a western ghost rider, black knight trilogy set in medieval times, namor’s underwater world, etc...even though cosmic is obviously in our future, there’s some cool genre mashing opportunities I hope they explore to keep things fresh and fend off fatigue...

Edited by Callaway29

Afternoon. Just been to see it finally, having avoided all threads and all other online stuff about it. Not too hard, the latter, as this is the only damn place I go online anyway.

I haven't read anything as I type. This is what I thought.

I thought it was long, very boring in places, disjointed and stunningly underwhelming. I was expecting a spectacle to remember. Something big for the biggest film of its age. I couldn't believe how casually these characters that I've come to love were treated. Thor - the God of Thunder - reduced to a self doubting, cry baby slob. For pretty much the whole film. Hulk? Come on, what was that all about? I began to dislike him. Whenever the "Hulk moment" is due - you know - smash Thanos to holy f*** - he's holding up a big rock somewhere. Spidey? Wasn't he the main draw at one time in the MU? Now, a sideshow. And not even a good one. A bit snivelling, too grateful, puppy dog, annoying. 

I haven't seen Captain Marvel, and nothing here makes me want to. In the big fight at the end, you know, the one where Hawkeye manages yet again not to be killed instantly every 3 seconds - one punch in the gob from a stoned glove and she disappears. So it's left to Tony to do the deed as she must be a bit stunned and Hulk is 'somewhere else'. Yes, he's freed himself, sorry, Ant-Man (?) freed him from the tyranny of the Marvel Contest of Champions big rock cover, but Hulk is somewhere else so he doesn't have to duff up Thanos. Or be duffed up as the case may be.

Back to the stone that you have to give your most precious thing up for to get (Thanos gave his daughter), Scarlett gives - herself? Does that make sense? She gives herself and Hawkeye gets the stone. Shouldn't he have made a sacrifice to get the stone? And nice touch having a wreath float in the lake in her honour at the end, not just saviour Tony. Oh, sorry, no, they forgot her.

Now, where was the big 'WOW' moment in this eighty bazillion dollar epic? The scene you've never seen before. The jaw dropper. The fight? Very similar to the fights in the other films wasn't it. Where was the drama, the emotional scene? When Thanos threw the daughter off the cliff, I had tears in my eyes. There was no such scene in this episode for me.

I liked Cap. He seemed the only one who acted as he should, dignified and positive. Never giving up.

And the time travel thing. I hate it when the answer is to go back and undo what has been done. It's a cop out. Putting aside that they can 'only do it once', yeah, right, blah blah, the flaw with this is that any scenario can be redone ad naseum until you get the result you want. Keep going back and rewriting it. So it's unsatisfying. They didn't really win. The lost, and then cheated. 

Five years pass. The world is a wasteland. Why? I don't know about you, but round where I live the place changes dramatically in five minutes, nevermind five years. Drop a crisp packet and someone builds flats on it. So where did all the 'other half of humanity' live when they reappeared? What would they eat, etc. How many of their loved ones had remarried or died naturally? Took there jobs? How could Peter and Fat Harry just 'go back to school' after 5 years? Does that mean that MJ is now 5 years older and Peter not? What a load of c ock. And unnecessary c ock. Surely a better premise could have been found than time travel?

And Thanos died when? At the start (Oh, he's dead now. Massive loss of tension) or at the end? Far too complicated and unnecessary. Time travel story lines make everything questionable.

So. All that money. All that talent. Everything going for it. And what do we get? 3 hours of hand wringing, a trip back in time and a fight we've already scene more or less.

Still, the final words of Thanos will echo long in my mind. Oh, sorry, he never said anything. A quick look around then he took a seat with an "oh bollox" look on his face before floating off in bits (don't worry though, as all he has to do is go back in time....)

I liked Cap as I said. I liked it when Strange gave Stark the finger, so to speak. There were a few good scenes. But I was expecting so much more than this. A very pedestrian, very unmemorable film. Is it just me? 

I am this films target audience really. They're my people up there on the screen. Why didn't I like it? And crime of crimes, why was it so boring? I can't imagine wanting to see it in full again. hose first two hours were borderline tedious.

So, that's what I thought. I'm now going to read and see what everyone else thought and pray I don't live on a different planet to everyone else as I often suspect may be the case :wishluck:

On a side note, a "reliable" internet leak seems to confirm what I've been speculating  for years, that the High Evolutionary is the creator of Rocket Raccoon in the MCU and this will be a storyline in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. Now just throw Adam Warlock in the mix and the universe will be whole.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It's you. Try watching it a second time. 

I don't think I could watch the first two hours of that again. I've never seen so little on screen for such a long time in such an expensive, headline film. Men and women all sat around in a preview room, watched the rushes or whatever they call them, and not one of them said "Jesus guys this is boring"?

Was there any dramatic tension at any point while they were all off gathering their respective stones? And does everything have to be reduced to casual flippancy? Maybe The Black Widow's sacrifice was the only one, but even that didn't seem to make sense to me. Now if Scarlett/Hawkeye had the choice of killing each other or no stone, that would have been dramatic (they managed it in Spartacus). Scarlett's self sacrifice was a noble act - not a 'sacrifice'. Wasn't it?

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't think I could watch the first two hours of that again. I've never seen so little on screen for such a long time in such an expensive, headline film. Men and women all sat around in a preview room, watched the rushes or whatever they call them, and not one of them said "Jesus guys this is boring"?

You didn't read his disclaimer.

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

DISCLAIMER: I am willing to pay for you to go see it a second time. In 3-D, even.

:golfclap:

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Men and women all sat around in a preview room, watched the rushes or whatever they call them, and not one of them said "Jesus guys this is boring"?

Rotten Tomatoes score is 95%. the Audience score is 89%. Cinemascore is A+. $2,2 billion and counting. Obviously a lot of folks love Endgame. There were going to be some people who would have preferred a more somber serious Endgame movie. It was inevitable. But that was Infinity War. Although Endgame starts with that Infinity War style somberness, it does get more fun, especially with some of the time travel scenes. Natasha's death might carry more weight on a second viewing when you know she isn't coming back.While the rest of the MCU characters will get their future screen time, this was a pretty good swan song film for Steve Rogers and Tony Stark. People were sobbing at all three screenings I went to, and if you didn't think Mr Rogers wielding was Mjolnir wasn't cool, then I guess this movie wasn't for you. I'd still give it a second viewing on a matinee. This is the last time you'll see Tony Stark or Steve Rogers on the big screen in the MCU. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

55 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Was there any dramatic tension at any point while they were all off gathering their respective stones? And does everything have to be reduced to casual flippancy? Maybe The Black Widow's sacrifice was the only one, but even that didn't seem to make sense to me. Now if Scarlett/Hawkeye had the choice of killing each other or no stone, that would have been dramatic (they managed it in Spartacus). Scarlett's self sacrifice was a noble act - not a 'sacrifice'. Wasn't it?

Dramatic tension or plot development wasn't necessarily the only purpose for the Original Avengers' time trip. For Tony, Steve, Thor, Clint, and Natasha, it was a chance to revisit an important element from their past, something that perhaps was missing, and realize what's important before some of them bow out from the spotlight. Tony has that father-son talk with dad, Thor with his mom (on the day she dies), Steve sees Peggy, Clint comes to term with what he's become, and Natasha with what she had been, something we've seen torment her soul since the first Avengers movie. Of course the time trip goes haywire and dramatic tension kicks back in when past and present Nebula interfere with each other's intergalactic wi-fi signals.

Look, you probably had your perfect movie in mind before seeing the movie. Now you can throw away those expectations and see the movie for what it is. Because it really is a good movie.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

28 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Rotten Tomatoes score is 95%. the Audience score is 89%. Cinemascore is A+. $2,2 billion and counting. Obviously a lot of folks love Endgame. There were going to be some people who would have preferred a more somber serious Endgame movie. It was inevitable. But that was Infinity War. Although Endgame starts with that Infinity War style somberness, it does get more fun, especially with some of the time travel scenes. Natasha's death might carry more weight on a second viewing when you know she isn't coming back.While the rest of the MCU characters will get their future screen time, this was a pretty good swan song film for Steve Rogers and Tony Stark. People were sobbing at all three screenings I went to, and if you didn't think Mr Rogers wielding was Mjolnir wasn't cool, then I guess this movie wasn't for you. I'd still give it a second viewing on a matinee. This is the last time you'll see Tony Stark or Steve Rogers on the big screen in the MCU. 

I did think Cap and the hammer was cool, yes, no need to be patronising. But that was one of only a handful of satisfying scenes. I wish this was the last time I will see (Ruffalo) Hulk. Hulk is a rage monster. In this, he is reduced to a comic character. Almost a figure of ridicule. That didn't work at all in my view. Thor works well having comic tendencies - he is much better on screen than the dour comic version. But he is also a God, and I felt - like Hulk - his character was somewhat disrespected in this film, and for too long.

16 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Dramatic tension or plot development wasn't necessarily the only purpose for the Original Avengers' time trip. For Tony, Steve, Thor, Clint, and Natasha, it was a chance to revisit an important element from their past, something that perhaps was missing, and realize what's important before some of them bow out from the spotlight. Tony has that father-son talk with dad, Thor with his mom (on the day she dies), Steve sees Peggy, Clint comes to term with what he's become, and Natasha with she had been. And the plan all goes to and dramatic tension kicks back in when past and present Nebula interfere with each other's intergalactic wi-fi signals. Look, you had your perfect movie in mind before seeing the movie. Now you can throw that all away and see the movie for what it is. Because it really is a good movie.

I didn't have a perfect movie in mind at all, no, stop telling me what I think. But I did expect something memorable. I didn't get it, because it wasn't a really good movie in my opinion. It was an overly long film, oddly short on excitement / adrenalin for the first two hours, lacking anything that we haven't already seen in one form or another and one which was less than successful in its realisation of key characters. Scenes where characters 'find themselves' can work well, but not one after the other in a film which is, essentially, a superhero film. I wanted better endings for some of these characters.