• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't think I could watch the first two hours of that again. I've never seen so little on screen for such a long time in such an expensive, headline film. Men and women all sat around in a preview room, watched the rushes or whatever they call them, and not one of them said "Jesus guys this is boring"?

You didn't read his disclaimer.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

DISCLAIMER: I am willing to pay for you to go see it a second time. In 3-D, even.

:golfclap:

Sorry Bosco, that one's gone right over my head mate. 

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I did think Cap and the hammer was cool, yes, no need to be patronising. But that was one of only a handful of satisfying scenes. I wish this was the last time I will see (Ruffalo) Hulk. Hulk is a rage monster. In this, he is reduced to a comic character. Almost a figure of ridicule. That didn't work at all in my view. Thor works well having comic tendencies - he is much better on screen than the dour comic version. But he is also a God, and I felt - like Hulk - his character was somewhat disrespected in this film, and for too long.

I agree on a couple of things: (1) the Hulk character was not great - and when you factor in his no show in Infinity War it is even worse, everyone had to want an epic fight between him and Thanos and it was nowhere to be seen, it was a real disappointment and (2) while I foudn Fat Thor funny and I understood how he got there (the pity and self-hate) I wanted him to bounce back and be as formidable as he was at the end of Infinity War - I feel like they dropped the ball there.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie - especially Iron Man's arc in it, but I do wish some changes were made (I also wish Cap had sacrificed in battle against Thanos and that was what rallied the Avengers - I think again this could have been a monumental moment that they just missed)

19 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Sorry Bosco, that one's gone right over my head mate. 

He suggested you go see it again. The kidding was he believes in this so much, he will pay for you to go again.

You:

emotion01.gif.2211d90982e23ca386318807a841998b.gif

:baiting:

Just now, Chillax23 said:

I agree on a couple of things: (1) the Hulk character was not great - and when you factor in his no show in Infinity War it is even worse, everyone had to want an epic fight between him and Thanos and it was nowhere to be seen, it was a real disappointment and (2) while I foudn Fat Thor funny and I understood how he got there (the pity and self-hate) I wanted him to bounce back and be as formidable as he was at the end of Infinity War - I feel like they dropped the ball there.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie - especially Iron Man's arc in it, but I do wish some changes were made (I also wish Cap had sacrificed in battle against Thanos and that was what rallied the Avengers - I think again this could have been a monumental moment that they just missed)

Well said. In my view, you can't call a film that drops major clangers with many of the main characters, and which misses gaping obvious emotional pay offs a great film. It was an OK attempt at winding it all up, with some good stuff, a sprinkling of class, but a lot of very long, drawn out dreary stuff. This is The Avengers. I wanted to walk out the cinema with a spring in my step, not feeling like I'd just been to a failed super heroes AA meeting interspliced with some 'comic' takes on Gods and Rage Monsters (who are always missing when the big fight is on). I wanted Thanos' end to have more meaning. I wanted them to win through a combination of wit, ingenuity and strength. Not by travelling back in bloody time. I wanted some breathtaking scenes. 

I'll watch it again, and see if I change my mind. But I know I won't change my mind on the portrayal of Hulk, which was awful, and of the comic use of Thor as a slob, which should've lasted 5 minutes before he reasserted himself as a titan.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

He suggested you go see it again. The kidding was he believes in this so much, he will pay for you to go again.

You:

830942192_capaldi(2).gif.9b75ad851b9aca129a5e40ec57efd554.gif

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What did you think of it then? The film. I can't read 40 pages of this sheite Bosco 

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What did you think of it then? The film. I can't read 40 pages of this sheite Bosco 

On 4/26/2019 at 6:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

I saw it, and thought it was good but with too long a run time. Even though they were trying to wrap up 21 movies in this one production as a transition to the MCU future.

The third act is definitely what people are getting all excited over, leading to them allowing for flaws in the first two acts. There were definitely jokes that were overplayed, forced reminders there were certain character films before this they wanted to bring closure to, and even entertaining scenes from previous films that was really nice to refresh fan memories.

Emotional scenes were certainly thrown at you at points to remind fans these characters have suffered for their contributions to protect others...

Reveal hidden contents

Steve going back in time and seeing Peggy from a distance, but avoiding contact so as not to upset her when he leaves. Chris Evans's facial expressions were all you needed to see to feel his pain.

The most sympathetic character throughout this film is...

Reveal hidden contents

Poor Nebula. Once again, she was being manipulated by Thanos and his children as they used her to uncover The Avengers' plan, and due to this set them back by using the past Nebula to pretend to be herself in the future.

And there are some sacrifices that you knew were coming, with some working but forced and others perfectly presented and emotional...

Reveal hidden contents
  • Natasha Romanoff choosing to be the sacrifice so Clint can bring back the Soul Stone wraps up her run before the solo film. But then that's the odd part - she has a solo film coming as a prequel (?). Plus, I felt like this was odd in that the being receiving the Soul Stone had to be the one sacrificing what they loved. Yet Natasha was the one that threw herself off the cliff. Not Clint. So did he really earn the Stone then?!
  • Tony Stark being the final wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet to snap Thanos's army out of existence was pretty much predictable, along with Thanos himself. But it was a nice way for Robert Downey Jr. to wrap up his run.
  • Steve Rogers going back to return all the Infinity Stones, and deciding not to come back so he and Peggy could finally have that life he missed out on. Although emotional, it felt forced on us as his long sacrifice is what makes the character so relatable and sympathetic where you want him to continue on. This felt like 'Well - bye!'

I have to say Chris Hemsworth, to me, was really given a chance to shine more than ever before in a group film.

Reveal hidden contents

His performance as a damaged superhero was solid for me. Seeing him so twisted inside he made sure to cut off Thanos's head was a WOW moment. But him joking about it at that moment (I made sure to go for the head) seemed odd.

But then his becoming a washed-up superhero gaining weight and a semi-loner playing Fortnite with Korg and Miek was pretty funny stuff. And it was emotional when he goes back to Asgard to get the Reality Stone and happens across Frigga and Jane Foster. Of course they had to remove the Stone from Jane, which Rocket takes care of. But that exchange before Thor and Frigga is so moving.

The big Third Act is massive, and we get some big surprises.

Reveal hidden contents

Sure, Captain Marvel comes flying in to bring a big contribution. But man, Wanda comes in hot and shows off how truly powerful she is like never before. Even Thanos is shocked at her massive attack due to her emotional loss in not having Vision back. That scene made it on to Youtube already, it is so incredible. The fight that most were assuming would happen between him and Captain Marvel.

But now I get why some are referencing back to Ready Player One in that...

Reveal hidden contents

Doctor Strange opens up multiple portals and characters from across the MCU Universe come pouring onto the screen, which was cool. But it also felt like a big presentation without much depth as you don't see all of them in action other than charging forward. So some get lost in the massive noise of a huge battle.

Now the big surprise I didn't see coming at all was...

Reveal hidden contents

Steve handing off his shield to Sam, telling him to try it on for size and reassuring him it looks just right.

Could this also play out like in the comic books where a much older Steve Rogers now leads SHIELD while someone else serves as Captain America?

Overall, it's worth going to see this film. But I can see why no matter how massive its box office ends up, this is not going to be a 9.0/10.0 or better film for everyone. Still, worth the chance to experience it at least one time.

6.5/10.0

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I had my concerns with it. Though I wouldn't go that far. :insane:

Yeah, joking aside I didn't hate it. There were parts I really liked, and parts I strongly objected to. But I was bored in the first 90 minutes and that just can't be right for a film of this magnitude. 

I liked BvS though....

I'll get my coat.

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

the Hulk character was not great - and when you factor in his no show in Infinity War it is even worse, everyone had to want an epic fight between him and Thanos and it was nowhere to be seen, it was a real disappointment and (2) while I foudn Fat Thor funny and I understood how he got there (the pity and self-hate) I wanted him to bounce back and be as formidable as he was at the end of Infinity War - I feel like they dropped the ball there.

Chances are, Hulk isn't done in the MCU. Maybe we'll see Hulk smash again, but Professor Hulk is a definite character in the comics and an important part of Bruce Banner's story arc in the MCU, kind of his Soul Stone where he's come to terms with the monster inside him. And if you want an epic fight with Thanos, we got that in Infinity War. Thanos is a better fighter than Hulk. Good guys can't win all the time. And getting revenge with a Hulk v Thanos part 2 isn't what this is about, it's about Avenging, not revenging.

And Thor did bounce back. He was kind of his old self by the time of the Grand Finale fight, he just wasn't in the same shape. Yeah, he's like a god, but that doesn't mean he can will away all that Cheese Whiz coursing through his veins. I imagine we'll have to wait for Thor 4 to see 6 pack abs Thor back again.

But it's cool, because that's what these movies and Marvel Comics are all about. Stan Lee revolutionized comics by making his heroes "real people." Professor Hulk and drunk out of shape Thor are real consequences of Marvel treating its heroes like real people.

Thanos vs Hulk is Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvelous Marvin Hagler. The strong guy lost because the weaker guy was more technically proficient. Happens all the time.

I didn't need an epic fight between Hulk and Thanos in Endgame. And that isn't actually what you wanted, you wanted an epic fight that Hulk wins.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

You:

e8HUULS.gif

Edited by RedRaven

On 4/29/2019 at 2:30 PM, TwoPiece said:

I must advise:

Do not bring your pre-middle school children to opening weekend for a PG-13 movie that is 3 hours long.

Thursday night, someone brings their 6-year old kid that is talking during some of the silent and somber moments.

Saturday night, a family with 2 kids goes to the bathroom a literally combined 12 times. When the 2 parents go to the bathroom at the same time, 1 kid bothers the grandpa, "I need to go check on them", multiple times.

This is p&*s-poor etiquette. And this is in what I would call one of the more "upper-class" theaters. Normally, the people that attend openers are the perfect moviegoers. I guess it isn't safe there anymore. At this point I'm starting to support the "streaming" opener where you watch it in the comfort of your own home. I don't want theaters to go away, but people are ruining it for everyone.

The cinema staff told me that last week the showings were consistently packed out.

I went yesterday at 9.30 am and the auditorium was completely empty.  So, glad I waited; no distractions.

22 minutes ago, Bird said:

Thanos vs Hulk is Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvelous Marvin Hagler. The strong guy lost because the weaker guy was more technically proficient. Happens all the time.

I didn't need an epic fight between Hulk and Thanos in Endgame. And that isn't actually what you wanted, you wanted an epic fight that Hulk wins.

Oh no - I did not want a fight where Hulk wins, I actually wanted Thanos to win again and I wanted him to kill Cap in battle (and for that to be the rallying moment (see my initial comment above)).  I just wanted a powerful Hulk, and wanted him to go after Thanos.  Just like I did not care if Thor beat Thanos, but I wanted him to be the force he was in Infinity War.

With respect to the Thor fight, it just did not make sense how in Infinity War he could not deflect or stop Stormbreaker with the Gauntlet fully powered - but in Endgame he could stop it, pick it up and use it - all without the Gauntlet.  But meh

13 minutes ago, RedRaven said:
1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

You:

e8HUULS.gif

77329442_giphy(2).gif.3931f2120b6dd21c4f9ba0f40df63942.gif

Yeah, joking aside I didn't hate it. There were parts I really liked, and parts I strongly objected to. But I was bored in the first 90 minutes and that just can't be right for a film of this magnitude. 

I liked BvS though....

I'll get my coat.

emotion01.gif.d5b18134d8c1f66c8f0969f31fc35989.gif