• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

For Bryan Singer, the X-Men followed Stan Lee's Civil Rights model as his heroes were a metaphor for gay rights.

"I did a lot of research into the comic books... They are such rich, deep characters. But mostly I hit it off with Stan, and it really inspired me...Beneath the costumes and the spectacle and the fighting and the fun, there's an underlying philosophy about prejudice, about feeling outcast, fear of the unknown, trying to find your place in the world. Very universal concepts that people have been attracted to."

It sounds like his meet with Stan Lee is what helped him over the holdup, and especially doing research in advance what it is he was being asked to take on. Although before that meeting, Fox was trying to get him on-board with no success.

I liked your other speech, though.

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Food for my thoughts.

I'd be careful what diet you are on. Sometimes the spices that appear seem quite spoiled.

53 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I think there's more to it than that, but yeah that makes sense. I always thought these movies were a nod to Stan Lee in that it took the story seriously, while at the same time winking at the audience ("It's all fun! We're playing superheroes!").

I remember Stan somewhere (back in the day) saying about those original Superman movies, that it was the kind of movie that Marvel should be making because that's how the Marvel Comics were, NOT how DC comics were - and that Marvel's movies at the time (the live action Spider-man and Captain America) were too stuffy and serious, like DC Comics. 

Although Stan Lee always talked a load of smack about DC characters, comics and their films, with Batman (1989) he was right there celebrating the film along with everyone else. Though he was a big fan of Superman: The Movie.

10:32, Stan Lee "That first Superman was superb. And it brought families in, not just little children. It made people realize 'Hey these are more than just little comic strip characters'. These are fascinating characters. And they are incredibly imaginative, and visually exciting!"

But it is interesting to listen to so many people talk about how massive Batman (1989) was in helping re-energize the interest in comic book films.

On 2nd viewing of this film and with some further thought, this was one of the weaker Marvel movies. Thanos as wrasslin heel, Thor as a embarrassing clown, Danvers is an overpowered 1D plot device not character, Clint’s motivations and instant transformation being beyond silly, so much of it just didn’t work and didn’t fit.

Individual scenes worked well. Some characters like Rhodes, Nebula, and Lang actually stepped up and carried a lot of the film in ways you wouldn’t think background characters would...but overall the movie itself in its entirety was one of the lesser Marvels. It’s highs were the best, it’s lows actually embarrassing and somewhat cheapening of the product. Very uneven film on a lot of levels.

The end of the Avengers phenom was gonna make billions regardless of content so I guess it doesn’t matter. Captain Marvel did huge on the fact it was supposedly gonna lead into it and set it up after the “Fury Text”. EG was a dynamo that was to big to fail so any criticism of it is meaningless on some level. But yeah I’m not as big of a fan on further review.

16 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

On 2nd viewing of this film and with some further thought, this was one of the weaker Marvel movies. Thanos as wrasslin heel, Thor as a embarrassing clown, Danvers is an overpowered 1D plot device not character, Clint’s motivations and instant transformation being beyond silly, so much of it just didn’t work and didn’t fit.

Individual scenes worked well. Some characters like Rhodes, Nebula, and Lang actually stepped up and carried a lot of the film in ways you wouldn’t think background characters would...but overall the movie itself in its entirety was one of the lesser Marvels. It’s highs were the best, it’s lows actually embarrassing and somewhat cheapening of the product. Very uneven film on a lot of levels.

The end of the Avengers phenom was gonna make billions regardless of content so I guess it doesn’t matter. Captain Marvel did huge on the fact it was supposedly gonna lead into it and set it up after the “Fury Text”. EG was a dynamo that was to big to fail so any criticism of it is meaningless on some level. But yeah I’m not as big of a fan on further review.

Respectfully disagree on Thanos and Ronin. Barton quit the Avengers for his family. Without that investment, all he knows is how to be a vigilante. No Fury or Coulson to lead him.

Agreed that they kinda turned Thor into a joke for 90 mins, despite being 100% BA in the 3rd Act.