• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS
1 1

890 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

Remember Thanos had the power stone when he wiped the floor with Hulk and he clearly used it (You could see it glowing and giving the sound cue). In Endgame he pulled off one of the stones and zapped her with it because he couldn't use them otherwise.

This is not true.

Thanos did not use the Power Stone in his bout with the Hulk in Infinity War.

I've seen the movie 90 times. I would know.

2 minutes ago, Rip said:

Remember Thanos had the power stone when he wiped the floor with Hulk and he clearly used it (You could see it glowing and giving the sound cue). In Endgame he pulled off one of the stones and zapped her with it because he couldn't use them otherwise.

Re-watch the scene.  At no point does Thanos use the power stone.  The whole point of the fight was to quickly illustrate to the viewers just how strong Thanos is (considering he's only been in the shadows or in a chair up until that point.)

Now, @ExNihilo, I think that Captain Marvel only had "the jump" on Thanos because he had been battling the Big 3 for awhile, and then another MacGuffin byproduct in Scarlet Witch, etc. He was beaten down by Iron Man, Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, Infinity Stone Powers, etc. I do not think Captain Marvel can take on Thanos 1v1. She could only do it at the end of those battles because of being beaten up and losing endurance. Kinda how Thanos wiped the floor with Thor, despite Thor being a literal God, because Thor was drained after Ragnarok and did not have a magical weapon that helped him heal.

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Re-watch the scene.  At no point does Thanos use the power stone.  The whole point of the fight was to quickly illustrate to the viewers just how strong Thanos is (considering he's only been in the shadows or in a chair up until that point.)

Was just about to post that link. Hmm I always thought of Thanos using the stone. Which is why he beat Hulk so easy. A lot of debate but I googled it and low and behold: you are likely correct

https://movieweb.com/infinity-war-writers-thanos-beat-hulk/

Edited by Rip

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Now, @ExNihilo, I think that Captain Marvel only had "the jump" on Thanos because he had been battling the Big 3 for awhile, and then another MacGuffin byproduct in Scarlet Witch, etc. He was beaten down by Iron Man, Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, Infinity Stone Powers, etc. I do not think Captain Marvel can take on Thanos 1v1. She could only do it at the end of those battles because of being beaten up and losing endurance. Kinda how Thanos wiped the floor with Thor, despite Thor being a literal God, because Thor was drained after Ragnarok and did not have a magical weapon that helped him heal.

I can buy into that (sort of).  If that's the case, it wasn't expressed very well in the scene.

Also, Thor isn't a "literal God".  Much like how "magic" is just science we don't understand yet, Thor is just an alien being with enhance physiology.  TOAA or the personification of Death would be literal Gods.  Permanent and unkillable.

Just now, ExNihilo said:

I can buy into that (sort of).  If that's the case, it wasn't expressed very well in the scene...

Thanos had Corvus Glaive rain fire on the battlefield because Scarlet Witch was (seemingly) about to kill him.

IMO it was expressed pretty clearly. Not sure if you've seen it more than once, but I didn't really process most/all of the 3 hour movie until after my 3rd time. Even now, there are likely bits and pieces of visual (and other) info I haven't fully processed.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Thanos had Corvus Glaive rain fire on the battlefield because Scarlet Witch was (seemingly) about to kill him.

IMO it was expressed pretty clearly. Not sure if you've seen it more than once, but I didn't really process most/all of the 3 hour movie until after my 3rd time. Even now, there are likely bits and pieces of visual (and other) info I haven't fully processed.

Scarlet Witch/ Wanda is the one who looks a little overpowered to me...

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I saw the movie twice.  I think I have a bias from my youth and just perceive Thanos to be incredibly strong.  Much of my opinions are based on what I've read as well as the trading cards from the 90s.

0k7sj1ebp3v01.jpg

Like, he should have high durability/stamina like the Hulk and should be able to recover from attacks and prolonged fights without being heavily fatigued.  At the same time, I realize that the MCU counterparts are different from the comics and that character power levels have changed throughout the years.  Right now, Carols powers just feel like Binary level to me.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Scarlet Witch/ Wanda is the one who looks a little overpowered to me...

Considering that they're both MacGuffin byproducts - they're both OP.

I really wish Captain Marvel was not, because I wanted anything and everything about the Infinity Stones to go away.

I don't care for either of them.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I saw the movie twice.  I think I have a bias from my youth and just perceive Thanos to be incredibly strong.  Much of my opinions are based on what I've read as well as the trading cards from the 90s.

0k7sj1ebp3v01.jpg

Like, he should have high durability/stamina like the Hulk and should be able to recover from attacks and prolonged fights without being heavily fatigued.  At the same time, I realize that the MCU counterparts are different from the comics and that character power levels have changed throughout the years.  Right now, Carols powers just feel like Binary level to me.

Yes, unfortunately(?), they've reigned in the powers of most characters. It's why I have literally no idea how they're going to handle Galactus. The dude precedes the entire know universe...

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The Russo Brothes came out and noted Thanos never used the Power Stone in this fight.

'Avengers: Infinity War' Directors Explain in Detail Why Thanos Was Able to Beat Hulk

During a question and answer session following a special screening of Avengers: Infinity War, directors Joe and Anthony Russo revealed whether Thanos beat Hulk because he’s just that powerful, or because he had that Power Stone at his disposal.

Joe Russo says it wasn’t the Infinity Stones that beat Hulk, that was all Thanos.

“I would say that he’s just that powerful,” said Joe Russo. “You didn’t see him actively use the Power Stone in the fight. I think ultimately the way we looked at that fight and the way we talked about it with our stunt team when we were executing it was Hulk is obviously very powerful but he’s a little mindless in his fighting style. It’s aggressive. It’s pummeling. Thanos is the Genghis Khan of the universe. He’s a very skilled fighter and equally as strong. So when you put those two up against each other, the more skilled fighter is going to win. Which is why Hulk has a moment where he overpowers Thanos, but ultimately Thanos is smarter.”

Just now, TwoPiece said:

How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?

I know. This is like the third time this has come up in the past few months. But it's probably because some are not here that often to read it the first time.

:nyah:

Just now, Casablanca said:

I missed the whole glove switch with Thanos..and Iron Man...kinda the most important scene in the movie...it went too fast for me....ugh

Remember in Iron Man 3, when he pulled the suit from Pepper onto his own body during the attack at his home? He basically used that kinda switch to pull the Stones from the Gauntlet onto the suit he was wearing.

I don't think they actually showed the Stones go from the Stark Gauntlet to his suit. It was just the reveal afterwards, when he says, "I am Iron Man", that we're shown he has 'em.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Yes, unfortunately(?), they've reigned in the powers of most characters. It's why I have literally no idea how they're going to handle Galactus. The dude precedes the entire know universe...

My only fear with Galactus is that he's essentially become this universal constant.  He was there at the beginning of the universe, and he'll be there at the end.  How do you defeat someone like that in an exciting, meaningful way?  You can't just have Reed threaten him with a MacGuffin (Ultimate Nullifier).

18 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

I missed the whole glove switch with Thanos..and Iron Man...kinda the most important scene in the movie...it went too fast for me....ugh

He didn't literally glove switch though...

He took the stones from thanos glove and attached to his armor....

I guess the reason it didn't happen in the 1st movie, thanos didn't have them All?

Still when they almost have the glove off in the first one, they could have extracted the ones that he had (shrug)