• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Like my father before me....
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:

:golfclap:(thumbsu

Thank you. I knew they didn't mean a lot to most of the family. To me it was a reminder of what got me into collecting. Added value that these were books he went to the local five and dime, bought , read , & enjoyed. 

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Thank you. I knew they didn't mean a lot to most of the family. To me it was a reminder of what got me into collecting. Added value that these were books he went to the local five and dime, bought , read , & enjoyed. 

Are those the only one's he saved?  My dad didn't even read comics, or I might have an Action #1 now...:cry:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Just now, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Are those the only one's he saved?

So far it is all I have been able to track down. I know there are more. Although a lot were missing the covers. Have found some just by hunting through old photos and seeing them and asking family members about them. Still hope more turn up. My own personal scavenger hunt.

My dad gave me his collection a few weeks after I started collecting comics.  Changed my life.  Late 40s and early 50s.  Mostly DC, Dell, Fiction House, Fawcett, Ziff Davis, and ACG (I may be forgetting some).  No Timely or E.C.  

Edited by sfcityduck

Funny you bring up magazines. When searching for the comics that's mostly what I found was magazines. They included Popular Mechanics, Model Railroads, Almost every National Geographic, Adult titles including early Playboy, his Roy Rogers Lunchbox , and these

IMG_20190425_015210800.jpg

IMG_20190425_015849543~2.jpg

IMG_20190425_020201553~2.jpg

I also have a bunch of boardie sacentaur's dad's stuff. He was good enough to sell me a large box of his toys a few years ago. I think he kept a few things but sold me the rest. They have gone to a good home. This is part of the boxfull. Being a motorcyclist, I especially love the motorcycle toys. Thanks again Steve!

truckscastiron.jpg

bustoyscastiron.jpg

motorcycletoyscastiron.jpg

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I've had my dad's Lionel trains and tin soldiers since I was a kid. A while back I passed down the army guys to my son.

My dad is long gone now but I really have that connection to him when I handle this stuff.

Very Awesome guys love the stories, connections, photos, and memories! That is why I started this topic!

My mom threw away all my comics and toys when I moved out and didn't take them with me. My brother and I shared a room with two small closets. One for clothes and one full of our comics and toys. The toy closet not only included our comics but all the kids in the neighborhood who's parents wouldn't let them have them. I shudder when I think about it because most were early SA books and probably several copies of many... 

I kept the stuff they didn't like like a handful of ECs my uncle gave me, my MADs (which they thought were subversive), some Playboys in a box in the tree house. Only one comic survived. This beat up Jimmy Olsen.

comjimmyolsen57.jpg