• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Like my father before me....
1 1

33 posts in this topic

A funny story... Many years ago I was at a flea market here on the West Coast where I purchased a few Big Little Books. When I got home, I noticed a name inside that I recognized. I contacted Jim Payette and mentioned it to him. Turns out they were his dad's. He had sold them off a few years earlier. How they ended up here on the opposite side of the country I don't know. So, I sent them back to him. He was happy to have some of them back.

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A funny story... Many years ago I was at a flea market here on the West Coast where I purchased a few Big Little Books. When I got home, I noticed a name inside that I recognized. I contacted Jim Payette and mentioned it to him. Turns out they were his dad's. He had sold them off a few years earlier. How they ended up here on the opposite side of the country I don't know. So, I sent them back to him. He was happy to have some of them back.

That is awesome and give me hope for finding the rest of his Collection.. Thank you for sharing that gem! 

7 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This happened to so many of us..😥

Yeah, she sure did a number on that room. First thing was to tear down all my vintage Filmore concert posters and there away all my "hippie" stuff. The only reason my dad's stuff still exists is that it was in a box in the basement at the time. My favorite lunch box was in that box too filled with my monster gum cards. Still have it. My sister's Beatle stuff was down there too. She didn't want it so I have a lot of that too.

munsterslunchbox1.jpg

beatlesgumcards.jpg

beatlesnodders.jpg

beatlesharmonica.jpg

Speaking as someone who just moved, I have some sympathy for those purging Moms.

Our kids still expect us to store all their junk. We begged them to get it out so we didn’t have to move it. No luck. I’m very close to throwing out lots of it!

18 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Speaking as someone who just moved, I have some sympathy for those purging Moms.

Our kids still expect us to store all their junk. We begged them to get it out so we didn’t have to move it. No luck. I’m very close to throwing out lots of it!

If you are throwing out comics :takeit:

51 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

gasp

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(especial if it's music stuff)

I've got the same deal at my house. Storing a lot of my kids stuff. My oldest daughter has a very extensive collection of sports cards. Sets and boxes of single cards. Lot of stuff like Jordan, Kobe rookies and a lot of baseball. She has her own house but doesn't seem to want to take them home. Her husband would love to have them. I think she would like me to sell them and give her the money. That ain't going to happen. As long as I have my current house, they are not in my way but when I decide to move...

My younger daughter has all her childhood toys stored up in the rafters of my garage. Spawn, Ghostbusters, Simpsons, Pee Wee, Star Wars ect. Most in the boxes we saved when we bought them. She is rather nomadic right now and again have no problem with it. She is the one who will do the work and sell them herself. She probably has some pretty good stuff up there. Haven't looked at them in probably 15-20 years...

Score! After more searching I came across more of my father's comics today. Now wondering what else I may find and where they will be hidden. These were in a box , in an out building , in it's attic..

IMG_20190426_172230266~2.jpg

IMG_20190426_172216571~2.jpg

IMG_20190426_172249157~2.jpg

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Score! After more searching I came across more of my father's comics today. Now wondering what else I may find and where they will be hidden. These were in a box , in an out building , in it's attic..

IMG_20190426_172230266~2.jpg

IMG_20190426_172216571~2.jpg

IMG_20190426_172249157~2.jpg

Very cool! “Outbuilding”? hm Were they wrapped around an old Playboy by any chance?  :baiting:

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool! “Outbuilding”? hm Were they wrapped around an old Playboy by any chance?  :baiting:

Funny you should say that.. as I had mentioned before I had found several other magazines in search of his comics. In this box there was more model railroad , Nat Geo , and these... Evidently he had been picking these up later as well. The first stash had some older these are from the 70's

IMG_20190426_203041884.jpg