• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"2nd Series" vs Volume 2
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Which one is customary?

For example, when I began hunting the Death of Superman Sig Series, I found that seemingly the majority of comics were listed as "2nd Series". To me, it would seem more appropriate to call it "Vol. 2". Is there a standard? What's your preference for listing/searching?

There can be so many reboots and short run series that it’s now common just to add the start year to the title.

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

There can be so many reboots and short run series that it’s now common just to add the start year to the title.

That's what I've kinda had to do with Hickman's Infinity, since there are a more than a few series with "Infinity" in the title.

When it came to looking for the latest Superman stuff, I was searching using "Vol. 5". That stuff can usually be found with "Rebirth", though.

I find that not many sellers use both "Series" and "Volume".

You are about to find out that Action Comics #1000 isn’t really a true #1000 as vol. 1. It ended at #904, which went to the new 52 series as Vol.2 then DC realize they made a stupid mistake. Then went back to retract Vol.1 at # 957 to continue. 

That, I do disagree, why I don’t see it as #1000. I also hate when Marvel or DC try to end the original series to create new series as volume # 2,3, or whatever number they want to assignment on there. It’s a mess.

6 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

You are about to find out that Action Comics #1000 isn’t really a true #1000 as vol. 1. It ended at #904, which went to the new 52 series as Vol.2 then DC realize they made a stupid mistake. Then went back to retract Vol.1 at # 957 to continue. 

That, I do disagree, why I don’t see it as #1000. I also hate when Marvel or DC try to end the original series to create new series as volume # 2,3, or whatever number they want to assignment on there. It’s a mess.

I mean, technically, it is the 1,000th issue of Action Comics. You're right, though, that it's some weird Frankenstein monster of Volume 1 and Volume 3.

Marvel recently rebooted most of their titles, and have (IMO stupid) "Legacy" numbering.

It's confusing stuff sometimes. You're right - a mess.

The only problem I have is that I don't understand why DC Comics counted their Vol. entries in the imprint up each year. For example, Batman Family #18 is stated with "Vol. 4" and Wonder Woman #308 is stated with "vol. 42". Why did they do this ?

For my personal database, I use the year the first issue was published and the entry "Vol." (see attached pictures). Each time the numbering changes, I count the Vol. one up.

This means, Detective #934 is Vol. 3 or Superman #650 is Vol. 3 and Wonder Woman #600 is Vol. 4.

example_vol.jpg

example_vol_bc.jpg

3 minutes ago, archivist said:

The only problem I have is that I don't understand why DC Comics counted their Vol. entries in the imprint up each year. For example, Batman Family #18 is stated with "Vol. 4" and Wonder Woman #308 is stated with "vol. 42". Why did they do this ?

For my personal database, I use the year the first issue was published and the entry "Vol." (see attached pictures). Each time the numbering changes, I count the Vol. one up.

This means, Detective #934 is Vol. 3 or Superman #650 is Vol. 3 and Wonder Woman #600 is Vol. 4.

That's very strange.

There's no way anyone is going to be able to figure out that a book is from Vol. 5 when Vol. 4 was two years earlier and Vol. 6 was two years later (or 5th Series vs. 4th Series, etc.). Sadly, I believe the only solution to the problem is going to be using either the first year of the series or the year of the comic.  Supercomicbook (2012 series) #15 or Supercomicbook (2013) #15 are helpful.  Volume and Series (without years) are basically useless.

My favorite example is Captain Marvel #14, which sells for hundreds of dollars despite being a modern book.

What Volume or Series (you pick) is it from?  Imagine you must use Volume or Series and not the year.

Here are your choices (but imagine them WITHOUT the year):

Captain Marvel (1966) 
Captain Marvel (1968-1979) 
Captain Marvel (1989) 
Captain Marvel (1994) 
Captain Marvel (1995) 
Captain Marvel (1999) 
Captain Marvel (2000) 
Captain Marvel (2002) 
Captain Marvel (2008) 
Captain Marvel (2012) 
Captain Marvel (2014) 
Captain Marvel & the Carol Corps (2015) 
Captain Marvel (2016) 
Captain Marvel (2019) 

Edited by valiantman

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I mean, technically, it is the 1,000th issue of Action Comics.

Nope. You're forgetting regular issues of the title that were not numbered in the normal sequence.

Edited by Lazyboy

On 4/25/2019 at 4:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Nope. You're forgetting regular issues of the title that were not numbered in the normal sequence.

Didn't they skip the New 52 numbers when they started re-issuing under the old sequence? I could've sworn that they did this.

i could be wrong. You seem more confident than me. I concede. lol

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:
On 4/25/2019 at 3:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Didn't they skip the New 52 numbers when they started re-issuing under the old sequence? I could've sworn that they did this.

i could be wrong. You seem more confident than me. I concede. lol

The original series ended at #904, but also had the #0 issue. The New 52 series ended at #52, but also had a #0 as well as #23.1-23.4. Rebirth started by putting "957" on the 963rd regular issue of Action Comics.

As for the original question, I always note them in my files as Title (v.X), but I don't collect stuff that is constantly cancelled just to be immediately relaunched (I'm looking at you, Marvel :sick:).

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The original series ended at #904, but also had the #0 issue. The New 52 series ended at #52, but also had a #0 as well as #23.1-23.4. Rebirth started by putting "957" on the 963rd regular issue of Action Comics.

As for the original question, I always note them in my files as Title (v.X), but I don't collect stuff that is constantly cancelled just to be immediately relaunched (I'm looking at you, Marvel :sick:).

Idc it's Action Comics #1000 to me.

:sumo:

So close to #1000, I can't believe that someone thought of, and it was approved, to reboot and re-sequence... At #904, someone has to realize, "we're close to being the first 4-figure American comic". Poor choice.

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Idc it's Action Comics #1000 to me.

:sumo:

So close to #1000, I can't believe that someone thought of, and it was approved, to reboot and re-sequence... At #904, someone has to realize, "we're close to being the first 4-figure American comic". Poor choice.

hm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Color