• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May 16-18, 2019 Signature Auction
3 3

200 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

What do you wanna pay?

frazettaspiderman.jpeg

great painting...how about a pic on that I think it was double signature Frtiz Johnny Comet or other comic strip art  you picked up at SDCC....now those good board member's who remember the original Robocop movie...one of my favorite parts was the guy on the TV saying now..."I would buy that for a dollar". It seems Richard you were very right to acquire a number of those original art pieces.....before this auction....it will be very interesting to see how much the mainstream media picks up on this record  upcoming sale and its effects on other items of his art.

Edited by Mmehdy

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I just realized I was so focused on the original art in the auction I forget to bid on any comics :cry:

Better get in your bids quickly, you only have like 3 weeks left!!!  :ohnoez:

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

:screwy:

For 165M I'd buy the highest graded copies of every GA and SA key book. And I'd be so very much happier than owning that painting.

I picked up a batman book featuring all the cool old collectibles from the 40s and 50s and 60s years ago, and my favorite part was they had a picture of the batman crest painted by the cambell soup can guy, and with the quotation that that painting alone was worth more than every other collectible in the book together :)

Edited by waaaghboss

45 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

great painting...how about a pic on that I think it was double signature Frtiz Johnny Comet or other comic strip art  you picked up at SDCC....now those good board member's who remember the original Robocop movie...one of my favorite parts was the guy on the TV saying now..."I would buy that for a dollar". It seems Richard you were very right to acquire a number of those original art pieces.....before this auction....it will be very interesting to see how much the mainstream media picks up on this record  upcoming sale and its effects on other items of his art.

Richard is one smart cookie, ...dare I say fortune cookie.   :headbang:

I've always felt that it's a win/win to own and appreciate art that also appreciates in value, keeping in mind that the former never guarantees the latter.

Another way of looking at it, given the stakes involved, winning bidders will either be giant man-eating spiders or bugs on the end of a spear.  :insane:

Not sure if you all got yesterday's email from HA concerning Barry Sandoval coming to Germany at the beginning of June in order to take over a large collection of US comic books going to be on the auction block with HA, since email was written in German only:

Anfang Juni 2019 komme ich nach Deutschland, um eine große Sammlung von US-Comicheften in Empfang zu nehmen, die dann von Heritage Auctions versteigert wird.

Wenn Sie mit dem Gedanken spielen, US-Comichefte oder -Originalzeichungen mit einem Gesamtwert von mindestens $50.000 durch Heritage Auctions versteigern zu lassen, hätten Sie hiermit eine optimale Gelegenheit dafür, zumal ich für den versicherten Transport zurück in die USA sorgen würde.

Ich würde die Möglichkeiten gerne mit Ihnen im voraus telefonisch oder per email besprechen. Oder, wenn Sie lediglich eine unverbindliche Einschätzung Ihrer Comics oder Originalzeichnungen wünschen, wenden Sie sich bitte unverbindlich direkt an mich.

Anfragen auf Deutsch oder Englisch sehe ich gerne entgegen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Barry Sandoval
Vice President,
Comics & Comic Art
(...)

He also invites other possible conseignors from Germany with books or comic art worth at least $50k in total to contact him for further advice/conseigning and he also offers free evaluation of items.

So far I've heard of only one big collection of quite valuable US books in Germany part of that has already been auctioned off by a German auction house from Braunschweig. 

I've often wondered how many "big books" from the USA might have been collected and might have survived in Germany, albeit via mail-order purchases in the early days of fandom here (1970s). For example, like @Mmehdy has mentioned the other day, he himself rather early had sold some good stuff to European collectors ...

On 4/28/2019 at 6:42 PM, Mmehdy said:

It seems all the board talk got the bid to go up on the EQ...it is now 2.2 or 2.64 with BP....

Doubt it was the board talk... Fritz's collector/fan base has been legendary in its own right.  Spielberg, Lucas, Clint Eastwood, Cher (!), Schwarzenegger, etc.

A top OA dealer told me $5m is a fair estimate.  Stay tuned.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Or with your $165M, you could have brought this painting for $43.5M:  :whatthe:  :screwy:

Image result for blue painting with white line

and still have more than enough left to buy up the highest graded copies of every GA and SA key comic book.  (thumbsu

I guess it's probably just a case of us not understanding and appreciating modern abstract art.  (shrug)

I'm a firm believer that conspicuous consumption plays a major role in the prices on modern art. Whoever paid $43.5 million for that painting would have turned up his nose at it had it been offered for a paltry $10 million.

I can appreciate art that is a little abstract, like Nude Descending a Staircase, but I groan whenever I hear someone talking about how moved he or she is by a Pollock or a Mondrian, etc.

I find the 4.5 million dollar min reserve and over 5mil with BP and Sales tax on the EQ to be excessive....the prior record I believe was 1.5...2.2 seems decent (2.6 with BP) going in....I really dont see this selling at this price..heck it does not even included shipping LOL...anybody think there is a chance here of this selling for that price? Also a 60K reserve (72k with BP) on what I consider the weakest of all the 3 Carl barks paintings to strange. I think Cap 1 looks very strong...look for a record price at that grade

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/1/2019 at 11:23 PM, Pickie said:

Not sure if you all got yesterday's email from HA concerning Barry Sandoval coming to Germany at the beginning of June in order to take over a large collection of US comic books going to be on the auction block with HA, since email was written in German only:

He also invites other possible conseignors from Germany with books or comic art worth at least $50k in total to contact him for further advice/conseigning and he also offers free evaluation of items.

So far I've heard of only one big collection of quite valuable US books in Germany part of that has already been auctioned off by a German auction house from Braunschweig. 

I've often wondered how many "big books" from the USA might have been collected and might have survived in Germany, albeit via mail-order purchases in the early days of fandom here (1970s). For example, like @Mmehdy has mentioned the other day, he himself rather early had sold some good stuff to European collectors ...

Wilhelm Ute???  :roflmao:

7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Ich glaube, daß du recht hast. Wilhelm Ute ist nicht so schlecht wie Mark Wilson.

I'm not sure what you're implying here. You're saying in German: "I think that you are correct. Wilhelm Ute isn't as bad as Mark Wilson." Is your posting directed at me since it's written in German? Do you - or does Robot Man - think that I am Wilhelm Ute? FWIW I am not Wilhelm Ute. I know the reports about him (correct spelling is Uthe, I think) here on these boards and on some German boards. I don't know him personally and I've never dealt with him. FWIW, I'm in my forties and I posted a picture of myself in a Barks thread and one more in this year's Happy New Year thread. Once again, I'm not sure whether there was any underlying message meant to be intended with your post. Never mind. Now back to HA.

Edited by Pickie
typo

3 hours ago, Pickie said:

I'm not sure what you're implying here. You're saying in German: "I think that you are correct. Wilhelm Ute isn't as bad as Mark Wilson." Is your posting directed at me since it's written in German? Do you - or does Robot Man - think that I am Wilhelm Ute? FWIW I am not Wilhelm Ute. I know the reports about him (correct spelling is Uthe, I think) here on these boards and on some German boards. I don't know him personally and I've never dealt with him. FWIW, I'm in my forties and I posted a picture of myself in a Barks thread and one more in this year's Happy New Year thread. Once again, I'm not sure whether there was any underlying message meant to be intended with your post. Never mind. Now back to HA.

Our posts had nothing to do with you. I believe that Robot Man was saying that the German collector with whom Barry Sandoval intends to meet could be Wilhelm Ute.

That wouldn't surprise me because if they'd hire someone like Mark Wilson, why wouldn't they do business with someone like Wilhelm Ute, too?

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Our posts had nothing to do with you. I believe that Robot Man was saying that the German collector with whom Barry Sandoval intends to meet could be Wilhelm Ute.

That wouldn't surprise me because if they'd hire someone like Mark Wilson, why wouldn't they do business with someone like Wilhelm Ute, too?

Thank you, now I got it! ☺

Heritage has a piece of art that I will win but I'll wait until auction over before I post it here. 

My all time 3 favorite comics as a kid were TTA 93, 100 and Hulk KS Annual 1. I now own art from the TTA comics. 

Not my favorite page from 100 but I'm a happy camper. 

1526887515_tta100.thumb.jpg.6a29caebfe1a68d31bec4d75295a4520.jpg

Edited by lhcomics