• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May 16-18, 2019 Signature Auction
3 3

200 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I decided to boycott the auction because HA had hired Mark Wilson, but I was tempted by both of those.  Congratulations on two great pick-ups!

Thanks.  I wasn’t aware they hired him.  I know some of the back story so assume HA does as well?  Sad tale indeed....

53 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I decided to boycott the auction because HA had hired Mark Wilson, but I was tempted by both of those.  Congratulations on two great pick-ups!

Don't know his story, but the mention of his arrival seems to coincide with HA really amping the colors on their scans lately.  There are worse examples but this one came to mind because I was interested in the book when it was up a few weeks back.  The first is a scan a previous owner gave me, the second obviously HA's seemingly juiced scan.

Wings87churchcheetah.jpg

wings87HA.jpg

6 hours ago, sagii said:
7 hours ago, goldenacase said:

was surprised how much they surpassed the hammer price from a few months ago

So was I. Not even a years time later.

Much like the Berk auction, maybe a case of too much to spread around the first go, then war chests get replenished and that second or third highest bidder snags it the next go round at a higher price

^^

Prices are definitely much more muted if you have an auction that's populated with 60+ Church Planet books, as opposed to an auction that has only 2 of the Church Planet's in the auction.  Potential bidders are not tempted to bid as high in the former because if they miss one of the Church Planet's, there's another 60+ other copies which they can bid on.  Definitely not the case in the latter auction.  (thumbsu

It also certainly helps when the 2 Church Planet's are segregated out and highlighted in the Platinum Session of the auction which is much more high profile and tends to draw the eyeballs with the deep pockets.  Third point is that Spring and Summer auctions historically tends to do better than December Winter auctions from my personal point of view.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Better not let Mitch know or he'll be really upset with you.  lol

They are both great books, the announcement today that Ben is no longer Batman and that Robert Patterson is gonna be the new one with Mat Reeves directing is gonna create some speculation as to Batman-see Variety news story...interesting timing.

41 minutes ago, jhm said:

Yesterday was an historic event for me personally. It marked the highest dollar amount I've spent on a single comic and I couldn't be more thrilled with the book AND THE PRICE!!! There are a small handful of big GA books I keep on my radar and Bats 1 was on that list until yesterday :) I generally chase the "tier 2" books, but I maintain a small list of tier 1's that I commit to pulling the trigger on if and when the price is ever right. Given those prices are under what I would consider market value, I rarely get the opportunity to bid live on these books because I'm generally knocked out before the live bidding begins. The Bats 1 was slightly under my max heading in so I got the chance to play. I was expecting this book to sell for closer to $250k so I didn't get my hopes up AT ALL. I used my cut bid right out of the gate figuring that it wasn't going to matter anyway. I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a minute when I watched the bidding close and realized I'd finally get my hands on a book from this list. I guess the sun does shine on a dog's once in a while! 

I picked up a couple others too :whee:<--- this is seriously how I feel

I'll have my new treasure proudly on display (with quite a few others) in Charlotte next month at HeroesCon at one of the GoCollect booths. I'd really enjoy meeting those of you I've yet to meet.

52552611_ScreenShot2019-05-17at6_50_11AM.thumb.png.5171364f9e81c1c7812183508ad1fa03.png

You, my friend, are a steely-eyed comic man

44 minutes ago, jhm said:

Yesterday was an historic event for me personally. It marked the highest dollar amount I've spent on a single comic and I couldn't be more thrilled with the book AND THE PRICE!!! There are a small handful of big GA books I keep on my radar and Bats 1 was on that list until yesterday :) I generally chase the "tier 2" books, but I maintain a small list of tier 1's that I commit to pulling the trigger on if and when the price is ever right. Given those prices are under what I would consider market value, I rarely get the opportunity to bid live on these books because I'm generally knocked out before the live bidding begins. The Bats 1 was slightly under my max heading in so I got the chance to play. I was expecting this book to sell for closer to $250k so I didn't get my hopes up AT ALL. I used my cut bid right out of the gate figuring that it wasn't going to matter anyway. I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a minute when I watched the bidding close and realized I'd finally get my hands on a book from this list. I guess the sun does shine on a dog's once in a while! 

I'll have my new treasure proudly on display (with quite a few others) in Charlotte next month at HeroesCon at one of the GoCollect booths. I'd really enjoy meeting those of you I've yet to meet.

52552611_ScreenShot2019-05-17at6_50_11AM.thumb.png.5171364f9e81c1c7812183508ad1fa03.png

This is really awesome.  Congratulations!  

6 hours ago, jhm said:

:golfclap:

what a purchase !

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, jhm said:

Wow Jeff!! Massive congrats!!🎉 

Sorry for pushing you on TCC 49. That’s a great book as well.  

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Two Cap war books (underbidder on a couple of other books).  Might as well post the HA scans...

image.png.8760461dcd9c9b10583af1e38aabc344.png    image.png.74af49782bafcdaff893f0160bedcb4b.png  

Looking forward to rescanning these without the labels though.

You do know you can edit the photos and crop the tops :baiting:

4 hours ago, jhm said:

Cong...you really did Mannup...."hail to the king"

4 hours ago, jhm said:

Given those prices are under what I would consider market value, I rarely get the opportunity to bid live on these books because I'm generally knocked out before the live bidding begins. The Bats 1 was slightly under my max heading in so I got the chance to play. I was expecting this book to sell for closer to $250k so I didn't get my hopes up AT ALL. I used my cut bid right out of the gate figuring that it wasn't going to matter anyway. I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a minute when I watched the bidding close and realized I'd finally get my hands on a book from this list.

Congrats on stepping up to the plate and hitting a home run for your self.  (thumbsu

I definitely get the same feeling when I win a book and it certainly looks like you got this grail at lower than the market rate.  :applause:

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

You do know you can edit the photos and crop the tops :baiting:

LOL! :grin:   

Good point, but I didn't want to waste time futzing with HA's images.  Besides, my OC inclination would've been to go further and color correct the blown out HA scanned images.  

HA's saturated color settings seem designed to enhance online impressions, but who knows?  Maybe the enhanced settings are needed to reduce the appearance of NR on CGC's more recently graded books.   (shrug)

Anyway, here's my theory: HA set their scanner using R. Crumb's trippy Sunburst painting, then forgot to return settings back to normal for everything else.  Far out, man.  :headbang:

6 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

LOL! :grin:   

Good point, but I didn't want to waste time futzing with HA's images.  Besides, my OC inclination would've been to go further and color correct the blown out HA scanned images.  

HA's saturated color settings seem designed to enhance online impressions, but who knows?  Maybe the enhanced settings are needed to reduce the appearance of NR on CGC's more recently graded books.   (shrug)

Anyway, here's my theory: HA set their scanner using R. Crumb's trippy Sunburst painting, then forgot to return settings back to normal for everything else.  Far out, man.  :headbang:

I did forget to mention, two sweet sweet pickups (worship)