• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May 16-18, 2019 Signature Auction
3 3

200 posts in this topic

I got the main book I wanted (but it's in a Voldy slab).

It's interesting that the HG Peter Wonder Woman unpublished partial page OA that started off a recent slate of similar partial pages on HA came up again after only a year. It went $4063 the first time, which surprised me, and $1560 today. If bidding had tailed off at $1560 the first time up, I would've pushed for it. I didn't bid on it this time.

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

comics and comic art auctions have grown over the years...new world record> $15,201,836.00....how long with that stand?

Mitch;

Since you seem to keep on top of these things, what was the previous HA record for comics and comic art auctions?  hm

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

comics and comic art auctions have grown over the years...new world record> $15,201,836.00....how long with that stand?

to be fair, if you take away EQ that total would be under 10M

Were record prices seen for most GA and SA material ? Not so sure. Looks like OA and the usual BIG keys kept the tally high.

Edited by Gotham Kid

46 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

to be fair, if you take away EQ that total would be under 10M

+1

Exactly what I was also thinking.  (thumbsu

Since I consider the EQ to be an outlier here, I believe that this auction's not a record if we take it out of the equation.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

I think it was prior to that 10.5 million...possibly 11...The total stands...yes 5.4 for a once in a lifetime panting, just like years ago on that Tech 27 8.0 which broke a mil.....it's a record and I think in the next 5 years it will be broken, of course it was 5, then 10, and now 15..so the next one is gonna be 20M...it's coming. I would not be surprised to see another "landmark " Fritz coming next year.....It is still impressive no matter what...the Ha platform is #1 in a 3 day auction setting. It will be very interesting to see the next auction coming up..which the Bray collection of SF art and pulps and some of the best EC science fiction comics every to come to market. At some point, it would make sense for CC,CL or Geppi use their platform...interesting idea..this is a very positive thing for the GA/OA/SA markets..it kind of establishes a "floor". I am very proud to look at today, from where at least came from in SDCC#2 convention. We have cracked not only the average mans prejudices, but now that those stuffy are collections in the 5 Mil range.

Some say the wine glass is half full, some say have empty.. I am just glad to be a part of the growing collecting community which no longer is on the back pages but in the forefront of real collectables...

Edited by Mmehdy

I noticed that "restored" books are appearing less in the Signature auctions. Out of all the books there were only 3 purple , All Star 8, Action 2 (slight), and Cap 7 ( slight). Looks like those other restro  books are going to weekly auctions.

Edited by Mmehdy

3 hours ago, dannyboy said:

Guilty as charged.  Sorry Rick.

I am curious to see if the colors look as good in hand.

image.png.59648923fb5dd2528a51db67c85c05bc.png

The colors are very nice in hand.  Colorado book once removed from the OO.  You should be very happy with it.  

46 minutes ago, buttock said:

The colors are very nice in hand.  Colorado book once removed from the OO.  You should be very happy with it.  

Awesome news.  Can't wait to see it in person.  Thanks.

20 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 5/19/2019 at 9:36 AM, dannyboy said:

Guilty as charged.  Sorry Rick.

I am curious to see if the colors look as good in hand.

image.png.59648923fb5dd2528a51db67c85c05bc.png

Yeah that was the one. My Wings 94 is its perfect counterpart.  

Absolutely love all of these later Wings covers with the classic GGA covers by Lubbers.  It definitely can't get any better than that.  :luhv:

I also tried for this copy here, but obviously did not go high enough with my bid.  :frown:

I still consider the Wings 90 to be the best of the group and I have been unsuccessfully trying to upgrade my copy for the longest while.  I was also trying to acquire a copy of Wings 94 for my collection since I consider that to possibly be my second favorite cover of the run.  Then to my pleasant surprise last year, I found an uber HG copy in my collection mixed in with a bunch of worthless CA books.  :whee:

Finally nice to see the National 7 getting long awaited respect from the collecting base, as evident by this copy here which sold for $3,120:  :applause:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, National Comics #7 (Quality, 1941) CGC VG 4.0 Cream to off-whitepages....

Surprisingly, this seem to be one of the more under appreciated classic covers by Fine ever since it was banished to the deep freeze about 10+ years ago when the Church copy failed to sell in the Heritage auctions for a few consecutive years there.  About time since I absolutely love this cover and consider this to be one of Fine's best work with all the minute details and stunning colors.  :cloud9: