• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May 16-18, 2019 Signature Auction
3 3

200 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Almost fell off the wagon and bid on that Adventure #72.  Thank you for helping me maintain my Timely focus this session.  (thumbsu

You must not have been thinking of it too hard...it went for 70% of guide!

Just now, batman_fan said:
3 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I usually discount D.C. estimated values 30% or more before bidding. :sorry:

I hope you are right given the large number of high grade Batman's up right now.  30% off :takeit:

+1

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It wasn’t that long ago this would go for multiples

Mr B has an uncanny knack for snagging some sweet high grade DC books at some amazing prices.  Rich didn't you snag some Church Adventures cheap several years back?  (I am old and my memory is definitely faulty).

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:
1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I usually discount D.C. estimated values 30% or more before bidding. :sorry:

I hope you are right given the large number of high grade Batman's up right now.  30% off :takeit:

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon your point of view), this malaise in prices is generally limited to the 2nd tier DC GA books, with the Adventure run being a classic example where the majority of them tends to sell at only a discount to guide.  You also tend to see the same thing with the other 2nd tier runs like Leading, Comic Cavalcade, Worlds's Finest, etc.  :frown:

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Mr B has an uncanny knack for snagging some sweet high grade DC books at some amazing prices.  Rich didn't you snag some Church Adventures cheap several years back?  (I am old and my memory is definitely faulty).

Mr B has an uncanny knack for snagging great books, period.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be a resealable can

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:
8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

You must not have been thinking of it too hard...it went for 70% of guide!

Especially when you consider it is a Dyson Vacuum prototype cover (worship)

lol

14 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It wasn’t that long ago this would go for multiples

Not sure what your definition of "not long ago" is, but with the exception of the Church copy that sold for 2.5x guide, I'm not sure you can find an example of an Adventure 72 that ever sold for guide in the Heritage archives, let alone multiples - regardless of grade.  That's 17 years of sales below guide.

Even at the Gary Keller buying peak in 2007 the 9.2 copy he purchased went for 10% below guide, and when it resold in 2010 it brought less than 1/3 guide.

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Not sure what your definition of "not long ago" is, but with the exception of the Church copy that sold for 2.5x guide, I'm not sure you can find an example of an Adventure 72 that ever sold for guide in the Heritage archives, let alone multiples - regardless of grade.  That's 17 years of sales below guide.

Even at the Gary Keller buying peak in 2007 the 9.2 copy he purchased went for 10% below guide, and when it resold in 2010 it brought less than 1/3 guide.

When I last exited the hobby, it was the year 1997.  The book was hot then. Now that I put a year to it, I must be old. Thanks for that

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon your point of view), this malaise in prices is generally limited to the 2nd tier DC GA books, with the Adventure run being a classic example where the majority of them tends to sell at only a discount to guide.  You also tend to see the same thing with the other 2nd tier runs like Leading, Comic Cavalcade, Worlds's Finest, etc.  :frown:

Cavalcades aren’t “hot” by any stretch, but they aren’t as cheap as they once were. Have bounced a bit in the last 12-18 mos.

12 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

That's pretty incredible. 

Is there any other GA book where 9.2 Guide is so far ahead of reality? 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, lou_fine said:

FTR, I did come very close to bidding on the Adventure #72, but that was the first of ten books I was tracking and resources were focused.  Even though I don't collect many DCs, my love is great art, so Adventure Comics with Burnley and S&K covers do get my attention.

That said, Richard probably would've won it anyway ( (worship) ), only at a higher hammer price since I wasn't prepared to bid Guide for it.  Those who wanna go full monte against Mr B in an auction, do so at their own risk!  :grin:

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

That's pretty incredible. 

Is there any other GA book where 9.2 Guide is so far ahead of reality? 

Are there any other GA "keys" that guide in 9.2 for exactly the same as they did a dozen years ago (and have actually gone down in all other grades)?