• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May 16-18, 2019 Signature Auction
3 3

200 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

FTR, I did come very close to bidding on the Adventure #72, but that was the first of ten books I was tracking and resources were focused.  Even though I don't collect many DCs, my love is great art, so Adventure Comics with Burnley and S&K covers do get my attention.

That said, Richard probably would've won it anyway ( (worship) ), only at a higher hammer price since I wasn't prepared to bid Guide for it.  Those who wanna go full monte against Mr B in an auction, do so at their own risk!  :grin:

I wasn't going any higher. 9 was my limit and I struggled with that last bid. As has already been made clear in this thread by folks much more eloquent than me - Adventure 72 is the most over priced book in the guide.

50 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I wasn't going any higher. 9 was my limit and I struggled with that last bid. As has already been made clear in this thread by folks much more eloquent than me - Adventure 72 is the most over priced book in the guide.

My crystal ball was cloudy on where that copy of Adventure 72 would end up. CrystalBall2.gif 

From close examination of the scans it appeared this book had been disassembled & reassembled, perhaps more than once.  While not a deal breaker, wear around the staples gave me pause.  hm

29 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

From close examination of the scans it appeared this book had been disassembled & reassembled, perhaps more than once.  While not a deal breaker, wear around the staples gave me pause.  hm

What are you talking about? You can really tell all of that from a scan? If so you are the most amazing dude I have ever met.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
34 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

What are you talking about? You can really tell all of that from a scan? If so you are the most amazing dude I have ever met.

And Costanza took it into the bathroom. :ohnoez:

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

:acclaim:

Seriously, ...Heritage images provide a darn good magnification tool even if the colors are jacked.  I was just gauging the odd appearance of interior paper around the staples.  On an otherwise beautiful high grade book with a great cover that obviously hadn't been handled much, this was a curiosity.  Was the book disassembled and reassembled? I have no idea, but judging from the scan it conveyed that impression to me.  Keep in mind, at that point in the auction I was looking for any excuse not to bid on this book even though I wanted it.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Did he wash his hands or wear gloves?  Please dear lord in the heavens above tell me he did !

To be fair, I wasn't wearing gloves while riding the Heritage BID button either.  :wink:

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Seriously, ...Heritage images provide a darn good magnification tool even if the colors are jacked.  I was just gauging the odd appearance of interior paper around the staples.  On an otherwise beautiful high grade book with a great cover that obviously hadn't been handled much, this was a curiosity.  Was the book disassembled and reassembled? I have no idea, but judging from the scan it conveyed that impression to me.  Keep in mind, at that point in the auction I was looking for any excuse not to bid on this book even though I wanted it.

To be fair, I wasn't wearing gloves while riding the Heritage BID button either.  :wink:

:sick:  hope you dissenfected that mouse afterwards

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Well, since it's residing in a blue Universal slab, we really should remember CGC's official statement on this issue from way back in 2005.  :gossip:

Namely that "disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself does not constitute restoration".  :p

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Just so I have this straight...cause it is amusing the she-ite outta me...you were serious about bidding up to 65% of guide on the 9.0 Adventure 72 until you enlarged a scan and saw evidence that convinced you that an original owner book had been disassembled (possibly multiple times). You then never mentioned this CGC damning evidence until now, even though you have the biggest hard on against CGC and the size of the number on their label. I can't imagine a story that makes any more sense than that. I just wish I wasn't the ridiculous fool who ended up with the POS book.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Just so I have this straight...cause it is amusing the she-ite outta me...you were serious about bidding up to 65% of guide on the 9.0 Adventure 72 until you enlarged a scan and saw evidence that convinced you that an original owner book had been disassembled (possibly multiple times). You then never mentioned this CGC damning evidence until now, even though you have the biggest hard on against CGC and the size of the number on their label. I can't imagine a story that makes any more sense than that. I just wish I wasn't the ridiculous fool who ended up with the POS book.

All damage is evidence of disassembly. 

11 minutes ago, buttock said:

All damage is evidence of disassembly. 

Yes, even brain damage.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, since it's residing in a blue Universal slab, we really should remember CGC's official statement on this issue from way back in 2005.  :gossip:

Namely that "disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself does not constitute restoration".  :p

Yeah, good point. Legal-weasel words are an essential part of any business.  

For my part, I was looking for good reasons to avoid bidding, because I had other targeted priorities.  Adventure #72 is a fabulous book and this is a very impressive copy in my estimation (reservations notwithstanding).  

On 5/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, MrBedrock said:

Referring to an off-hand observation sarcastically as "damning evidence" is a bit excessive, don'cha think?  Evidence of what?  Who's being accused? Granted, I'm not a big fan of the current CGC label, but how does that relate to the current discussion?  Does it repeal the tariff on soy beans or fix the Newton Ring crisis? Who's on first? I don't know!

I would've loved being the ridiculous fool ending up with it.  I'm also very happy for you being the lucky winner ...I mean that sincerely.  :foryou:  As for the agitated response, my inclination is to just move on.  It's much more fun having drinks with friends, so...

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Cheers

It's clear from the scan that the Adventure #72 was formerly a copy of Neal Adam's 1983 Skateman, reduced to subatomic particles, then reassembled as an original owner, high-grade Adventure Comics #72. 

It's disturbing that this process isn't noted in Grecian font on the label.  :preach:

13 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Yeah, good point. Legal-weasel words are an essential part of any business.  

For my part, I was looking for good reasons to avoid bidding, because I had other targeted priorities.  Adventure #72 is a fabulous book and this is a very impressive copy in my estimation (reservations notwithstanding).  

Referring to an off-hand observation sarcastically as "damning evidence" is a bit excessive, don'cha think?  Evidence of what?  Who's being accused? Granted, I'm not a big fan of the current CGC label, but how does that relate to the current discussion?  Does it repeal the tariff on soy beans or fix the Newton Ring crisis? Who's on first? I don't know!

Funny you should mention soybeans. I'm liquidating my entire comic collection and going all in on the soybean market. :gossip:

12 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Picked my two wins up today from Heritage! :headbang:  Here's the first un-redacted image,

...just proving you can occasionally get sideways with friends & still have a great time: 

IMG_2658_zpsktvnv2fr.jpg

And here's the first full images from my HP scanner (prior to redacting labels from images)...

Hide contents

edited-image_zpsyxcvvzr1.png

Hide contents

edited-image_zps3vfwvecu.png

Is that really you?  It is hard to tell without a pint in your hand :baiting: