• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

should i get these graded

23 posts in this topic

Are these worth getting graded? fantastic four #78 12c/captain marvel #1 1979/captain marvel #1 1968/new mutants annual#2/uncanny xmen #130/uncanny xmen #126/special edition xmen #1/xmen #41,23,32 12c/mighty thor #128 12c/new teen titans #30

39 minutes ago, mrjkill said:

Are these worth getting graded? fantastic four #78 12c/captain marvel #1 1979/captain marvel #1 1968/new mutants annual#2/uncanny xmen #130/uncanny xmen #126/special edition xmen #1/xmen #41,23,32 12c/mighty thor #128 12c/new teen titans #30

As with most situations, the decision to submit for grading depends on the estimated grades of the individual books. You are not giving us much to work on, like pics, so it is difficult to answer you. 

1 hour ago, mrjkill said:

In no particular order:

Yes, no,no,no,yes, yes, yes and yes. 

it depends on the grade, it depends on your location, and it depends on what subjectively you personally mean by 'worth it'. 

I am new to the site but a long time comic reader and buyer in my younger days.I am considering getting some books

graded. I am going to try to limit it to 5 to 7 books to start. I have ASM #40-135 of which I am the original owner,also Hero for Hire #1-16

Marvel Spotlight #4,5,6,7,8,9,10,Defenders #1,2  as well as several other early issues of Marvel comics.I would appreciate any thoughts on 

which 5 to 7 to grade? Thanks in advance for any input.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:53 PM, shadroch said:

In no particular order:

Yes, no,no,no,yes, yes, yes and yes. 

in a particular order but I won't tell anyone

yes ,yes  no , no, no, no ,yes ,maybe ,nuh-uh ,no way jose, lol

On 5/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, ben parker said:

I am new to the site but a long time comic reader and buyer in my younger days.I am considering getting some books

graded. I am going to try to limit it to 5 to 7 books to start. I have ASM #40-135 of which I am the original owner,also Hero for Hire #1-16

Marvel Spotlight #4,5,6,7,8,9,10,Defenders #1,2  as well as several other early issues of Marvel comics.I would appreciate any thoughts on 

which 5 to 7 to grade? Thanks in advance for any input.

Assuming they are all in equal shape, Marvel Spotlight 5 , Defenders 1 are  big. Spidey 129 is the crown jewel of the books listed. 121 and 122 would complete my five.

Hero for Hire 1 would be first alternate.

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

Assuming they are all in equal shape, Marvel Spotlight 5 , Defenders 1 are  big. Spidey 129 is the crown jewel of the books listed. 121 and 122 would complete my five.

Hero for Hire 1 would be first alternate.

Those were my thinking as well,ASM #50 would be a consideration also.I have reasonable expectations that all those you mentioned will be 7.0 or above

I was thinking of selling the Hero for Hire as a set since I have all of them in what I believe to be 8.0 or better for each one.Thanks for the input

6 hours ago, ben parker said:

Those were my thinking as well,ASM #50 would be a consideration also.I have reasonable expectations that all those you mentioned will be 7.0 or above

I was thinking of selling the Hero for Hire as a set since I have all of them in what I believe to be 8.0 or better for each one.Thanks for the input

Defenders? I don’t know what Shad has been smoking, but Defenders #1 isn’t what I’d call hot. Prices in most grades are trending down. 12 month average on an 8.0 is $127, 8.5 is $130, 9.0 is $209 and a 9.2 is $210. Prices for Marvel Feature #1, their first proper appearance, excepting their loose teaming in Sub-Mariner #34 and #35, are a bit better.

Choose the ASM #50. Even in low grades it takes the Defenders to the mat. 12 month on a 4.0 is $298, a 5.0 is $396 and up and up for higher grades.

And if your motivations are mostly financial, swap out the ASM #122 for ASM #101. It's currently selling for about double of either #121 or #122.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 5/17/2019 at 11:45 AM, Pontoon said:

Defenders? I don’t know what Shad has been smoking, but Defenders #1 isn’t what I’d call hot. Prices in most grades are trending down. 12 month average on an 8.0 is $127, 8.5 is $130, 9.0 is $209 and a 9.2 is $210. Prices for Marvel Feature #1, their first proper appearance, excepting their loose teaming in Sub-Mariner #34 and #35, are a bit better.

Choose the ASM #50. Even in low grades it takes the Defenders to the mat. 12 month on a 4.0 is $298, a 5.0 is $396 and up and up for higher grades.

And if your motivations are mostly financial, swap out the ASM #122 for ASM #101. It's currently selling for about double of either #121 or #122.

I sent ASM #'s 129,122,121,101,100.Hero for Hire #1 and Marvel Spotlight #5.I have decided to stick to grading my ASM collection,

if the first batch goes well #'s 25,41,42 50,60,86 are my next considerations.Anyone care to share thoughts on others?

28 minutes ago, ben parker said:

I sent ASM #'s 129,122,121,101,100.Hero for Hire #1 and Marvel Spotlight #5.I have decided to stick to grading my ASM collection,

if the first batch goes well #'s 25,41,42 50,60,86 are my next considerations.Anyone care to share thoughts on others?

ASM #135 is the 2nd full punisher...

Provided it's NM would be worth it too :foryou:

3 minutes ago, AB/CD said:

Besides the #50, are the rest really worth slabbing? Especially 60 and 86 - aren't they just common issues?

86 has an appearance by the Black Widow,,25 and 42 have semi Mary Jane minor apps(she may be hot in the next movie,pun semi intended)

50 and 60 have The Kingpin,while 41 has the 1st app of Rhino.You have a fair point but as I have 12 cents in all but 86 and a costly 15 cents there

I figure it may be worth a shot.

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Good point,I think subsequent movies may impact some of the lesser characters in the Spiderman series(Robbie Robertson could turn out to be Luke Cage's uncle or something)There are other possibilities such as the Goblin being a descendant of  James Moriarty or Morbius being related to Dracula(who makes a guest app) or maybe

May and Ben (thus Peter) could be related to the Greystoke clan(taking a page from Phillip Jose  Farmer's books) The Eye color kinda matches.

Edited by ben parker
fix a word

2 minutes ago, ben parker said:
4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Good point,I think subsequent movies may impact some of the lesser characters in the Spiderman series(Robbie Robertson could turn out to be Luke Cage's uncle or something)There are other possibilities such as the Goblin being a descendant of  James Moriarty and Morbius being related to Dracula(who makes a guest app) or maybe

May and Ben (thus Peter) could be related to the Greystoke clan(taking a page from Phillip Jose  Farmer's books) The Eye color kinda matches.

That's deep compared to my knowledge lol good that your read'em ^^ 

But while I suggest ASM #135 as 2nd "full" appearance, #129 is the 1st, my point :makepoint: is..... #134 has a punisher cameo... if it were 9.2-9.8 would be an option eventually lol 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's deep compared to my knowledge lol good that your read'em ^^ 

But while I suggest ASM #135 as 2nd "full" appearance, #129 is the 1st, my point :makepoint: is..... #134 has a punisher cameo... if it were 9.2-9.8 would be an option eventually lol 

Great discussion,my goal is to get most(if not all) my ASM's slabbed,I've had most of them since childhood and would have had them all except for my grandmother giving away Amazing Fantasy 15 thru ASM 40 while I was Away at college.I have been able to reacquire 21 thru 40.These books were some of the highlights of my childhood and I figure slabbing them is the least I can do for them now.