• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sheldon “Shelly” Moldoff
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I've always been a bit curious about Moldoff's early SA ghosting on Batman. While his early work for DC was a little crude, by the time he was drawing horror for Fawcett, his stuff was more polished, then when he starts on Batman, his work evokes the crude early Batman art actually drawn by Kane back in the day. Was this at Kane's request? The guy had had no compunction about signing work clearly more polished than his own, and since he wasn't drawing anything by then, even keeping the fiction alive that he was still the main Batman artist wouldn't require Moldoff to draw in such a retro style. It always seemed short sighted to me, as I imagine by the early 60s, it was the old-fashioned look of the Batman comics that was hurting the sales most. I like this era for it's kitsch quality, but I think if I were a kid buying DC books back then, the more modern looking artwork of guys like Kane, Infantino and Anderson would have been more compelling. I gather it was intentional that the "new look" Batman stories by Moldoff had a more contemporary look. Did Schwartz tell Kane DC wasn't using anything out of his shop unless it looked more modern?