• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun stuff from the Interwebz
1 1

82 posts in this topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/10/arts/design/marvel-comics-1000.html

Marvel Comics turns 80 in August. To celebrate, the company is releasing Marvel Comics No. 1000, which follows its heroes from Day 1 in 1939, long before they became the global entertainment phenomenon they are today.

Each page of the comic will correlate to one year in Marvel history. Along the way, readers will see many of the marquee characters from the mighty Marvel universe like Captain America, Thor and Iron Man, and some less familiar ones, like Blue Marvel, Night Thrasher and the Three X’s.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/10/immortal-hulk-outsells-batman/

The April 2019 Diamond Comic Distributor stats are out, and they make rather interesting reading. As well as Marvel Comics getting a 50% unit share, Immortal Hulk #16 had higher orders than Batman #68 and #69. Since the New 52 reboot/relaunch, the twice-monthly Batman comic book as been the old reliable at DC Comics, constantly topping the charts, only beaten by the occasional first issue launch, event comics mini-series like Secret Empire, Metal or The Batman Who Laughs. For a regular issue of an ongoing series to top Batman is unheard of. Until Immortal Hulk.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

one day, a reporter is going to run a story involving comics and the collecting of same and his or her editor is going to refrain from using a sound effect/onomatopoeiac device in the headline, and the entire collecting world is going to orgasm and/or die after.  but it won't be today!!1!

1 hour ago, Sal said:

one day, a reporter is going to run a story involving comics and the collecting of same and his or her editor is going to refrain from using a sound effect/onomatopoeiac device in the headline, and the entire collecting world is going to orgasm and/or die after.  but it won't be today!!1!

I disagree. It will never happen. 

49 minutes ago, grebal said:

Talented guy, thanks.

Good read. Sort of.  Interjecting politics - what could possibly go wromg?

Yeah, and The Daily Beast has a pretty clear slant to the left. So do I, but I really prefer news sites which leave that kind of thing to the editorial pages and not content.

His Mister Miracle series was terrific. As a new parent who struggled with being a new parent and dealing with severe anxiety around parenthood, the series really resonated with me.

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I blame editors for that sort of malfeasance.

yeah, you're probably right. Like I said I can't bring myself to read the article now. Maybe everyone involved sucked: Writer, editor, reader, University of whatever. Parent's tuition money would have probably been better spent on cheerleader's miniskirts for the ESPN saturday college football shows b-roll shots than some guy "cataloguing" a bunch of comic books.

Edited by NoMan