• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's "Egyptian Queen" OA breaking comics records
3 3

147 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Of course. It's the subject matter that is the key.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

With apologies to whomever owns this (I'd love to own it too), this is not the work of a fine painter.   Get your eyes checked :P

They are very average and he would have had a hard time getting steady work as an illustrator IMO

14-67+Dragon+Lady.jpg

It’s like saying someone isn’t a good director because they don’t have CGI explosions 

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No. It's not anything like that at all.

lol

Your quote was in there on accident. I started a reply to you but decided it was too much work from my phone and gave up. When I quoted him it got thrown back in there again

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Of course. It's the subject matter that is the key.

Kind of. I mean, there is fine art paintings of super heroes. And cartoony looking things. Like you said, Barks has been accepted among the fine art collector crowd. There’s lots of different kinds of art and some art purists would think only 500 year old paintings of Jesus or bowls of fruit are fine art, while some collectors buy graffiti pieces. But what it all boils down to is marketing. The OA used in comics is created and marketed to a certain kind of collector and a certain kind of retail outlet. HA auctions, conventions, etc. The things these collectors look for is often entirely different than what a pop surrealism collector would be looking for. Plenty of professional artists in the comics field COULD easily transition over to that market, but they’re busy creating periodical art and have already achieved success and fame, probably fulfilling a childhood dream. As far as subject matter goes though, I guess it depends on what you mean by that. I,ages of Batman can be fine art. Images of actual Batman comic pages can be fine art. It really is a combination of marketing and pandering to the audience you serve

13407270893_1db847d0dc_z.jpg

There is no way to know...but...it is my opinion that if the Egyptian Queen was actually an Amazon Queen, and was a painting of Wonder Woman instead...with every other element identical...I don't know that it would be anywhere near as popular. 

I think, however, that the generation that was born after 2000...with their near daily exposure to comic book pop culture in the media...will, by the time they are in their 50s, have a different perspective. Let's face it...comic book culture was still considered niche and nerdy for most of our lives. It's only been in the last 11 years or so that comics and comic art has been mainstream. Yes, of course people saw Superman and Batman...but those were not culturally transformative, the way the MCU has been. Adults didn't go out and watch Superman in 1978, and then decide to go to comic cons dressed up as him. Now, I see adults wearing Iron Man shirts, and Cap shirts, and with Batman tattoos, and all sorts of that kind of thing....people who aren't actually into comics, but the characters as pop-cultural icons.

So who knows? Maybe there's a cultural shift that's already a decade old.

And, of course, that leaves a whole lot of other cultural worms in that now-opened can to deal with...after all, the Romans had their gods, too, and liked to dress as them as well...

It’s hard to say with Frazetta since he held all his original art. I think the handling of his work may have limited his audience and popularity. He’s still a hugely popular artist but I think he could have made a bigger impact if that’s what he was looking to do. He probably made the smart move though, I doubt his family would be as set as they are now if those paintings got auctioned off right after they got used on a book cover

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

With apologies to whomever owns this (I'd love to own it too), this is not the work of a fine painter.   Get your eyes checked :P

They are very average and he would have had a hard time getting steady work as an illustrator IMO

14-67+Dragon+Lady.jpg

Paint by numbers?

Basil Gogos (who died in 2017) and James Bama (who's still alive I believe) did some pretty impressive work on lots of horror/fantasy/science fiction/adventure books and magazines I purchased back in the 60's and 70's. Along with Frazetta, they really raised the bar with beautiful and eye catching paintings.

basil-gogos frankenstein.png

James bama doc savage.png

Edited by Jaylam

32 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Basil Gogos (who died in 2017) and James Bama (who's still alive I believe) did some pretty impressive work on lots of horror/fantasy/science fiction/adventure books and magazines I purchased back in the 60's and 70's. Along with Frazetta, they really raised the bar with beautiful and eye catching paintings.

basil-gogos frankenstein.png

James bama doc savage.png

Absolutely. 

I'm a big fan of Sanjulian as well.

0607e216138adfbd898cb110bf020f9d--creepy-paintings-manuel.jpg

By the way if anyone has Sanjulian artwork. I am interested. 

Edited by oakman29

On 4/25/2019 at 10:43 PM, exitmusicblue said:

At $2.5 million after the first day (20 days left).  Already by far the most valuable comics lot auctioned by Heritage.  Final estimates at $5m+, but difficult to gauge.  This could soon become the most expensive comics-related item of all time, topping the Action 1 that went for $3.2m in 2014.

I highly doubt this will become the most expensive comics related item of all time.  :gossip:

After all, as I had mentioned in the Heritage thread on the GA boards here, I believe this Frazetta piece will get nowhere even close to the ballpark of what Roy Lichtenstein's Masterpiece was able to sell for:

Masterpiece Roy Lichtenstein

Especially since $2.64M dollars is still light years away from the $165M dollars that was paid a couple years ago for Lichtenstein's 1962 Masterpiece artwork making it one of the Top 10 prices ever paid for a piece of original art or painting.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

An absolutely stunning price since it is not even truly original as it is basically an altered recreation of the following comic book panel:

Masterpiece.jpg