• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's "Egyptian Queen" OA breaking comics records
3 3

147 posts in this topic

Lichtenstein doesn't count... -.- To quote Art Spiegelman (as found in Lichtenstein's wiki entry), "Lichtenstein did no more or less for comics than Andy Warhol did for soup."

The man didn't so much as leave a "thank you" note for any of the creators he mimicked, much less proper attribution.

I do like some of his works, yet regarding them as part of the comics pantheon = disrespect. 2c

EQ isn't a comic book.  But it's unquestionably comic (magazine) OA.  Lichtenstein's works are neither.  Ready the pitchforks !! lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 4/26/2019 at 1:43 AM, exitmusicblue said:

20716790%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

To someone with a trained eye and an extensive education and background in the world of fine art, this piece is exceptional for many reasons.  One with my background can tell that this painting was done by someone who truly understands the subtle nuances of beauty and emotion and how to bring them together on canvas.   The juxtaposition of the steel sword and the flowing robe is a technique that's been used in paintings for over 700 years to depict the dichotomy between good and evil.  And the subtle shading and muted colors of the man and beast foreshadow the inevitable outcome.  The composition is exquisite and the use of perspective is some of the best I've ever seen in any work of art.  Plus, the chick has huge knockers.  

Edited by Domo Arigato

3 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

To someone with a trained eye and an extensive education and background in the world of fine art, this piece is exceptional for many reasons.  One with my background can tell that this painting was done by someone who truly understands the subtle nuances of beauty and emotion and how to bring them together on canvas.   The juxtaposition of the steel sword and the flowing robe is a technique that's been used in paintings for over 700 years to depict the dichotomy between good and evil.  And the subtle shading and muted colors of the man and beast foreshadow the inevitable outcome.  The composition is exquisite and the use of shading is some of the best I've ever seen in any work of art.  Plus, the chick has huge knockers.  

You had me at "knockers," O Scholarly One.

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

To someone with a trained eye and an extensive education and background in the world of fine art, this piece is exceptional for many reasons.  One with my background can tell that this painting was done by someone who truly understands the subtle nuances of beauty and emotion and how to bring them together on canvas.   The juxtaposition of the steel sword and the flowing robe is a technique that's been used in paintings for over 700 years to depict the dichotomy between good and evil.  And the subtle shading and muted colors of the man and beast foreshadow the inevitable outcome.  The composition is exquisite and the use of shading is some of the best I've ever seen in any work of art.  Plus, the chick has huge knockers.  

That's what puzzles me, the beast has a chain though ??? and the sword protector is probably a unick..., ???

So it's always confused me like the chain is not to a rigid pole, so looked at it as the sword was to kill the beast to protect the knockers...

(shrug) but I haven't read the story, owned it in the past but didn't read it...

28 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

To someone with a trained eye and an extensive education and background in the world of fine art, this piece is exceptional for many reasons.  One with my background can tell that this painting was done by someone who truly understands the subtle nuances of beauty and emotion and how to bring them together on canvas.   The juxtaposition of the steel sword and the flowing robe is a technique that's been used in paintings for over 700 years to depict the dichotomy between good and evil.  And the subtle shading and muted colors of the man and beast foreshadow the inevitable outcome.  The composition is exquisite and the use of perspective is some of the best I've ever seen in any work of art.  Plus, the chick has huge knockers.  

I'm sure the location and position of the...ahem....sword...is not lost on you, I imagine....

No subtext there. That's just straight up text.

2 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Definitely appreciate your deep and analytical thoughts on this beautiful Frazetta masterpiece.  (thumbsu

What's your take on this blue-eye beauty then:

Image result for blue painting sold for 43 million

that yet somehow manage to sell for an astounding and rather insane :screwy: (at least from my own personal POV) $43.5M dollars?  hm

Especially since Tim on the GA boards was so correct in confirming the fact that it's really just simply a case of me not understanding and appreciating modern abstract art.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/26/2019 at 5:41 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

653318052_artdiscussion.thumb.png.a99f8b82981bbb1c4811272f292b1ca9.png

does anyone else see the dude/girl with sunglasses looking at a woman consumed by the storm of toxic waste? I doubt that's what he intended with this piece and just assume it's less about what the piece is about and more about how it makes you feel.  though, the fact that I see a person in sunglasses looking at a woman's face mostly obscured will probably bother me each time I looked at it if I owned it.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

While beautiful in its simplicity, the lack of huge knockers brings it down a tad.

Grade: D-

22 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

While beautiful in its simplicity, the lack of huge knockers brings it down a tad.

lol

11 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

short essays

If a picture is worth a thousand words I don’t imagine the essay will be “short”. At its core this is illustration art and has already eclipsed anything Heritage has sold within that genre. The highest Rockwell that I could find was sold by Sotheby’s for 46 million in 2013. Wonder if the consignor shopped the sale with them?

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, obviously you are not looking deep enough into the blue.  :gossip:

There's a lot more in there than just two huge knockers. lol

After all, why else do you think it would have gotten bidded up to $43.5M dollars. :screwy:

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

After all, why else do you think it would have gotten bidded up to $43.5M dollars. :screwy:

I dont believe that actually happened.  Only a complete whack job would ever bid something like that up to $43.5M dollars.

<checks bidding history>

E. Musk: $42,500,000

Greggy: $43,500,000

:facepalm:

On 4/26/2019 at 3:41 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

653318052_artdiscussion.thumb.png.a99f8b82981bbb1c4811272f292b1ca9.png

it represents the existential struggles of the modern world

it shows the clash between between societal groups and the ensuing chaos created by that struggkle

it, it, it

I got nothing :sorry:

13 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:
30 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I dont believe that actually happened.  Only a complete whack job would ever bid something like that up to $43.5M dollars.

My bad.......you are indeed absolutely correct once again as it didn't get bid up to $43.5M dollars.  (thumbsu

I just checked and it actually sold for $43.8M dollars.  lol