• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's "Egyptian Queen" OA breaking comics records
3 3

147 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I just checked and it actually sold for $43.8M dollars.  lol

The 43.8M dollar bid was rejected.  They said it was from some guy that kept saying how it will be a good investment once the blue square movie comes out and asking if he could pay for it with Woody Harrelson autographs.

Edited by Domo Arigato

2 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

The 43.8M dollar bid was rejected.  They said it was from some guy that kept saying how it will be a good investment once the blue square movie comes out and asking if he could pay for it with Woody Harrelson autographs.

I don't get the woody harrelson bit. I know the thread the bit originates from, but still don't get it. woody harrelson is gonna be in carnage? 

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I don't get the woody harrelson bit. I know the thread the bit originates from, but still don't get it. woody harrelson is gonna be in carnage? 

Woody harrelson will be spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie venom 

Spoiler

He will be the actor that is carnage.... spoiler alert 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Woody harrelson will be spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie venom 

Hide contents

He will be the actor that is carnage.... spoiler alert 

copy. thanks. wonder if seriously good actors are just resigned to the fact that in this day and age that they've got to be in a comic book movie and act in front of a green screen for 9 months. 

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

copy. thanks. wonder if seriously good actors are just resigned to the fact that in this day and age that they've got to be in a comic book movie and act in front of a green screen for 9 months. 

It's definitely where the money is at the moment, and it's a possible long-term contract for sure...

On 4/26/2019 at 10:11 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 4/26/2019 at 10:09 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

If I had a million dollars....I would absolutely buy Egyptian Queen

You'd need at least 4 by the time it's all over.

:acclaim:

$5.4 million final hammer, including buyer's premium.

Again, for reference, the top Action 1 sale (CGC 9.0) was $3.2 million in 2014.

Egyptian Queen is the new title-holder for the most expensive piece in comic book/OA history to date.

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Egyptian Queen is the new title-holder for the most expensive piece in comic book/OA history to date.

Frank Frazetta should always hold the top spot as the best comic artist.

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Has to make you wonder what the original art for Fantastic Four #1 or X-Men #1 would bring at auction. Wasn't the complete original art for these two issues owned by the same person at one time? The complete original art for either one of these two issues would have to surpass 5.4 million at auction, no?

3 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Long live the Queen!  

When I was a kid i wrote William Gains a letter saying how much I enjoyed his EC Comics. I was kinda hopping he'd send me some OA, as in, "Here Kid. This is for you."

He did write back. He said, "Thank you for the nice letter." There was no OA enclosed. 

20 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Has to make you wonder what the original art for Fantastic Four #1 or X-Men #1 would bring at auction. Wasn't the complete original art for these two issues owned by the same person at one time? The complete original art for either one of these two issues would have to surpass 5.4 million at auction, no?

No idea.  OA collectors are an unpredictable lot.  1, 2, 5, 10 million?  Unless something actually hits the market, all we can do is speculate.

High-end Frazetta collectors are a different breed in the hobby.  

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

No idea.  OA collectors are an unpredictable lot.  1, 2, 5, 10 million?  Unless something actually hits the market, all we can do is speculate.

High-end Frazetta collectors are a different breed in the hobby.  

Frazetta is not just a comic book artist,  he transcends to the regular art crowd as well.

The thing that always got me about this painting, where does the bottom of the right leg go? It just kind of disappears in the shadow but what you can see in the shadow just doesn't add up. Is it just me or do others see (or not see) this too?

egyptian princess right leg.jpg

egyptian princess b_edited.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

4 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

It just kind of disappears in the shadow but what you can see in the shadow just doesn't add up. Is it just me or do other see (or not see) this too?

you can see both red shoes in there. (or sandals perhaps)

Edited by Bird

Yes, shoes.  Fritz wasn't a huge fan of drawing feet (remember reading that somewhere).  Leaning sandals or almost high heels here, looks like... same as in my best piece by him.  It led me to actually do a wiki search on high heels... quite the long history.  B-)

Edited by exitmusicblue