Frank Frazetta's "Egyptian Queen" OA breaking comics records
3 3

147 posts in this topic

3,557 posts
6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The only reason I say Leopard and not Jag is because Jags are native to the Western hemisphere, and don't appear outside of that.

This being the Egyptian Queen, I imagine Frazetta meant it to be a Leopard. Now...that's not for sure, because nothing prevented Frazetta from painting a Jag, but he probably meant a Leopard. It would have been anachronistic to paint a Jag, and Frazetta was a smart guy.

Pretty kitties, all of them.

:cloud9:

This guy is my hero. I've even asked for an application to volunteer at Cheetah Experience. We'll see what the year brings.

is this tippi hedron's place. she's got some kinda exotic wild animal rescue out in lancaster or something. took my mother-in-law there once and she got too close to some kinda bird that farted and all over her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,744 posts

Interesting to examine the evolution of good girl cover art throughout the years

IMG_4700.thumb.PNG.ff448996995896e7ad8c8a9aebb5267e.PNG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,011 posts
2 hours ago, NoMan said:

is this tippi hedron's place. she's got some kinda exotic wild animal rescue out in lancaster or something. took my mother-in-law there once and she got too close to some kinda bird that farted and all over her. 

This is in South Africa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,749 posts

I never considered Frazetta a comic book artist, sure he drew a few comics but that doesn't make him a comic artist as if he did it his whole life for a living. He's an illustrator, pay him and he'll draw/paint what you want. 

His OA paintings will continue to climb into the millions, it was only a matter of time before it happened. 5.4 Million will be chump change in the coming years. Those who have Frazetta art of any kind are lucky they've gotten it so cheap. Best to hold onto it if you have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,744 posts
8 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I never considered Frazetta a comic book artist, sure he drew a few comics....

It's a good thing only you don't consider him a comic book artist.

Frank illustrated and ghosted hundreds of pages worth of comic book material. Between comic strips, comic books, comic book covers, yes even comic book ads- in the 40s-50s he WAS almost exclusively a comic book artist.

but his comic book "page count" is not what defined him as a comic book artist. His huge impact, influence and inspiration on hundreds of comic book artists, among them are some pretty big names as Dave Stevens, Art Adams, mark Schultz,  Adam Hughes to name a few, is what makes the man not just a great comic book artists, but a legendary one at that. 

According to Lucas, if it wasn't for Frank's Famous Funnies comic book covers, we wouldn't have a Star Wars...

The fact that he actually excelled as an artist past just comic books shouldn't take away from the royalty that he is in our industry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,813 posts
5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

It's a good thing only you don't consider him a comic book artist.

Frank illustrated and ghosted hundreds of pages worth of comic book material. Between comic strips, comic books, comic book covers, yes even comic book ads- in the 40s-50s he WAS almost exclusively a comic book artist.

but his comic book "page count" is not what defined him as a comic book artist. His huge impact, influence and inspiration on hundreds of comic book artists, among them are some pretty big names as Dave Stevens, Art Adams, mark Schultz,  Adam Hughes to name a few, is what makes the man not just a great comic book artists, but a legendary one at that. 

According to Lucas, if it wasn't for Frank's Famous Funnies comic book covers, we wouldn't have a Star Wars...

The fact that he actually excelled as an artist past just comic books shouldn't take away from the royalty that he is in our industry

Pretty much this.

Also Wrightson, Buscema, Neal Adams, Jusko...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts
Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts

Deleted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,513 posts
On 5/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, oakman29 said:

Frazetta is not just a comic book artist,  he transcends to the regular art crowd as well.

If by regular art crowd, you mean those who airbrush fantasy paintings onto the sides of vans, sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,048 posts
On 5/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, lou_fine said:

 

Like I had mentioned a few weeks ago in the HA thread on the GA boards, it didn't even come close to Roy Lichtenstein's Masterpiece:

Masterpiece Roy Lichtenstein

Looks like Frazetta's Egyptian Queen still fell about $160M dollars short of what Lichtenstein's Masterpiece sold for.  :whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:

Here is the latest example of the folly of man . . .

http://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=3777f3a0-e4b9-4b7d-98a8-adb44def67ed&appid=1125

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If by regular art crowd, you mean those who airbrush fantasy paintings onto the sides of vans, sure.

Well, that sounds a little disrespectful to Frank, but I think its a useful exercise for comic book art fans who see the price paid as making the picture matter to fine art to ask themselves this:

- "when you see a David Hockney or Jeff Koons piece selling for $90m, does it make you suddenly care about Koons or Hockney?"

No?   So why would a 5m Frazetta sale suddenly make the Koons/Hockney crowd care about Frazetta?

When we see a Hockney painting of two guys and a swimming pool sell for $90m, most of us here think 'wow that's an insane amount to pay for that trash' and move on.     Its only natural to assume that when the Hockney crowd sees a 5m Frazetta, the natural reaction is going to be: 'wow that's an insane amount to pay for that trash'.. and they will move on.

I.e. just place yourself in the other person's shoes.   Its not hard to do but we so often fail to do so.

 

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts
Posted (edited)

Fantasy Art and/or Illustration may gain more prominence in time but if that happens it will write its own story.    It will not be written, after the fact,  into a story that has already gone in other directions.

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46,333 posts
33 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Well, that sounds a little disrespectful to Frank, but I think its a useful exercise for comic book art fans who see the price paid as making the picture matter to fine art to ask themselves this:

- "when you see a David Hockney or Jeff Koons piece selling for $90m, does it make you suddenly care about Koons or Hockney?"

No?   So why would a 5m Frazetta sale suddenly make the Koons/Hockney crowd care about Frazetta?

When we see a Hockney painting of two guys and a swimming pool sell for $90m, most of us here think 'wow that's an insane amount to pay for that trash' and move on.     Its only natural to assume that when the Hockney crowd sees a 5m Frazetta, the natural reaction is going to be: 'wow that's an insane amount to pay for that trash'.. and they will move on.

I.e. just place yourself in the other person's shoes.   Its not hard to do but we so often fail to do so.

 

:applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts

Oh, Theo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts
3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is this a joke?  Is this for real?  Who is this seller?

64733.jpg.cccf3ed749ca2898efca2daa60faa4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,048 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bronty said:

64733.jpg.cccf3ed749ca2898efca2daa60faa4

His Selling Prices seem reasonable :roflmao:

But seriously, this is such a time capsule.  Would love to know when this ad ran.  Tough Kid Squad was a more expensive book than Supe 1 and Cap 1.  

Is he a boardie?  Hey, fella, put a shirt on!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,932 posts

No but he’s MMehdy’s old running mate from back in the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,011 posts
1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

His Selling Prices seem reasonable :roflmao:

But seriously, this is such a time capsule.  Would love to know when this ad ran.  Tough Kid Squad was a more expensive book than Supe 1 and Cap 1.  

Is he a boardie?  Hey, fella, put a shirt on!

Theo's ad always made me chuckle. Who did he think he was going to attract with his shirtless pose? He'd be as likely to repel his target audience as anything. 

All he's missing is the bear skin rug....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3