• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Comic Book Day 2019
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Well, the big day is almost upon us. I almost forgot since I don't buy moderns any more. I went in to see what what was being offered and was more than a little disapointed. Hard to find much if anything I am interested in. Was going to take the grandkids but see very little that even they would want. I ALWAYS get the Bongo Simpsons book but for the first time see it isn't being offered. There are usually a few other books that look interesting but not this time. I was hoping there would be a Disney book for the kids but no.

I'm not much into the superheroes and usually look for something horror related like Walking Dead. There are a couple of possibilities but nothing I'm familiar with. The best I can come up with is maybe the Little Lulu!

I really feel like a fish out of water this time. No wonder the medium is on life support. I guess, they are free but is it worth me even going or taking kids?

Convince me and let me know what looks worthwhile...

I have never been to FCBD. It looks like it was designed to get kids into comics. Since I am a long time collector, would it not be appropriate for me to go and ask for free comics? Should I save those for the people it was designed for? Or will my LCS not care?

4 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

I have never been to FCBD. It looks like it was designed to get kids into comics. Since I am a long time collector, would it not be appropriate for me to go and ask for free comics? Should I save those for the people it was designed for? Or will my LCS not care?

Your LCS won't care.... :foryou:

It's designed for e'rybody 

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Oh man, just saw that Vampirella cover... do the majority of stories offer more than a book per person?

My LCS offers 3 free books and 5 if you're on the mailing list.

6 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

FCBD is for everyone.  Marvel and DC sometimes use it as a jumping on point for stories they're going to tell in the next year.  For example Corvus Glaive first appeared in the FCBD Infinity book that year.

I dunno about other stores, but my LCS runs a sale on FCBD.

My store makes sure all of his regular customers gets their pick of any and all of the books that he orders for that day.  Then he will let the "visitors" get to pick a few.  Another store near me orders almost all of the Free (well not free for the store) books.   I'll go by there, but they limit it to two from one box, one from another box and one left over from previous years.

Disney does have a Decendents and there is a Dark Horse Minecraft & Incredibles edition.  I do agree not as good as years past , however the Spawn 1, That Spiderman, and the Vampirella don't look bad..

I have up to :wishluck: 11 FCBD pulls across the 3 local stores I support. Some of it depends on cosplay. I'm looking forward to Spawn FCBD (even tho it's just a reprint #1 w/ a Mattina cover), interacting with fellow fans, & stocking up on supplies... 

136529112_Screenshot_20190427-0636302.thumb.png.f216867600a72aa5525410b5d00a8178.png

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well, the big day is almost upon us... 

I ALWAYS get the Bongo Simpsons book but for the first time see it isn't being offered.

I was hoping there would be a Disney book for the kids but no.

Usually look for something horror related like Walking Dead. There are a couple of possibilities...

Convince me and let me know what looks worthwhile...

RE Simpson's... Yes. Bongo is done publishing Simpson's comics for the near future (indeed comics) as of late 2018. #245 was the last issue. Check it out here- https://www.comicsbeat.com/as-their-last-comic-goes-on-sale-today-its-time-to-say-farewell-bongo-comics/ 

RE Disney... There is a unique Disney book that should be widely available, as it is a Gold level sponsor. It is original content (new story), 1st appearance of Dizzy, and could introduce your grandchild to a whole new subgenre of comics. 

Capture.JPG.d073c93e02bbcdd179c48303a179d94d.JPG

RE: post-apocalyptic horror... Check out comics' golden boy writer in a new original story. 

Capture1.JPG.727c18f3529b80c6ab58bf2f2399a4e4.JPG

If you get lucky enough to find a copy...

Pick up Fantagraphics' My Favorite Thing is Monsters, pop a cold bevvie, while reflecting on the gloriousness of the ball-point pen drawings  :cloud9: (simplified for this book)

Capture2.JPG.f0315ac2dc698f3bc95108aaaee37150.JPG

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

I see about 4-5 books that I might like to read. I don’t buy moderns anymore, but I’ll buy few comic book supplies while I am at couple of LCS around. 

7 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I have up to :wishluck: 11 FCBD pulls across the 3 local stores I support. Some of it depends on cosplay. I'm looking forward to Spawn FCBD (even tho it's just a reprint #1 w/ a Mattina cover), interacting with fellow fans, & stocking up on supplies... 

136529112_Screenshot_20190427-0636302.thumb.png.f216867600a72aa5525410b5d00a8178.png

Cool, but is just a reprint. Couldn't they have come up with something more new and original? It is, after all free but since I have the original, I'll pass on that one.

5 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

RE Simpson's... Yes. Bongo is done publishing Simpson's comics for the near future (indeed comics) as of late 2018. #245 was the last issue. Check it out here- https://www.comicsbeat.com/as-their-last-comic-goes-on-sale-today-its-time-to-say-farewell-bongo-comics/ 

RE Disney... There is a unique Disney book that should be widely available, as it is a Gold level sponsor. It is original content (new story), 1st appearance of Dizzy, and could introduce your grandchild to a whole new subgenre of comics. 

Capture.JPG.d073c93e02bbcdd179c48303a179d94d.JPG

RE: post-apocalyptic horror... Check out comics' golden boy writer in a new original story. 

Capture1.JPG.727c18f3529b80c6ab58bf2f2399a4e4.JPG

If you get lucky enough to find a copy...

Pick up Fantagraphics' My Favorite Thing is Monsters, pop a cold bevvie, while reflecting on the gloriousness of the ball-point pen drawings  :cloud9: (simplified for this book)

Capture2.JPG.f0315ac2dc698f3bc95108aaaee37150.JPG

Thanks for the tips Milwaukee.

I wasn't aware that Bongo was through with the Simpsons. I quit buying the title in the mid 100's. Last title I gave up. Always liked the show and the comic. I looked forward to the FCD Simpsons...

Those two horror related titles look promising. Ain't quite like my usual EC fare, but they ARE free.

The Disney book looks like a possibility. My grand daughters are 4 and 6. They are heavily into the classic Disney characters as well as the "princesses" and the Alladin stuff. The older one loves Wonder Woman. Like most kids, they are heavily influenced by the Disney Chanel and the movies. They are too young to actually read them, but love to look at the pictures and love it when PaPa reads them to them. I thought they might like the Casper one, heck, I'd read that too.

I like to support my LCS and even though I don't buy moderns any more, I do buy some graphic novels and a lot of supplies. I'll probably drop by later in the day I guess.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:42 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Ooooh. I like this.

2 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Is there a typed list anywhere that shows the books being offered for FCBD 2019?

Their website. Not typed out but shows all the books, as well as list of local stores that participate.

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/

My LCS #1 allows fans to choose max 4 of their choice on FCBD or from 1st issue spec overstock from 30 years ago, or 2, if there are thicker graphic novel/humor 'freebies.' LCS #2 has 2 mystery packs meaning the adult or kid's (10 years and under) pack each contain a pre-selected mix of 6 to 7 FCBD comics.