• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Comic Book Day 2019
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Went this morning with the 2 youngest kids.  Good turn out, but the way they herded everyone around the store to get to the free stuff didn't really allow any digging around.  Store is under new management and it already seems to have better stock.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:50 PM, ExNihilo said:

My LCS offers 3 free books and 5 if you're on the mailing list.

FCBD is for everyone.  Marvel and DC sometimes use it as a jumping on point for stories they're going to tell in the next year.  For example Corvus Glaive first appeared in the FCBD Infinity book that year.

I dunno about other stores, but my LCS runs a sale on FCBD.

That's almost exactly the same as my LCS. And they have 20% off everything. I volunteered for 3 hours as one employee fell ill and I've been shopping there for 20+ years so I'm good friends with the owner. It was really cool how many kids were there. Marvel & DC are definitely using today's books as jumping on points. They had Captain America, Avengers, Spider-Man, Riverdale, Stranger Things and a whole bunch more from a lot of publishers. I had a lot of fun. I'll post pics later as well (thumbsu

Fortunately my LCS lets you get as many different books as you want (1 copy each), so you could potentially get 30 free comics.  I ended up with about 15 or so, and my daughters got some of the more kid-friendly ones.  It's a newer, smaller store, but seemed to have a decent turn out while I was there

Went with my wife, daughter and 2 granddaughters. Just hit one store. Got about a dozen books. Anything that looked interesting. They were pretty liberal with them. My granddaughters are 3 and 5. Mostly interested in the characters in the Disney TV Chanel. Sadly, there was nothing like that for them. They did like Casper, the fish one, the young JLA and a couple of others. I got to read a few with them.

The place was packed so it was hard to spend any money but I did pick up some supplies and a few discounted TBs. A lot of people were just grabbing the free ones and hitting the doors. I thanked the owner. He took a picture of the kids with their books for their bulletin board. 

Big shout out to Amazing Comics. It was fun!

I shined up my Lowrider and planned on taking my girlfriends kid to see some super hero cosplayers but she decided she didn’t want to go at the last minute. So I still went out there to get some comics to pass out to the nieces and nephews. Got there just in time to see the last table be loaded into a car. Parking lot was empty. It was 101 degrees. The store was full of teenagers though. Got my free comics and spent $50 on Conan mags. Lots of people standing around my car when I left 

1 LCS let you pick up 4 FCBD comics of your choice, but I elected to grab 3 and then use a chit to enter a random draw for 1 of 3 DC toy/figures.About 1/2 of the crowd just came in, grabbed the 4 freebies, said Thank You, then sprinted out the door to do family things. Pikachu and Gold(?) Fish comic most popular with the kids. Getting harder to find Marvel BA at 'reasonable' prices from the bins:

C75gHjj.jpg

5 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

1 LCS let you pick up 4 FCBD comics of your choice, but I elected to grab 3 and then use a chit to enter a random draw for 1 of 3 DC toy/figures.About 1/2 of the crowd just came in, grabbed the 4 freebies, said Thank You, then sprinted out the door to do family things. Pikachu and Gold(?) Fish comic most popular with the kids. Getting harder to find Marvel BA at 'reasonable' prices from the bins:

C75gHjj.jpg

The fish book was great for my granddaughters. Colorful, simple to read and fun. The 5 year old likes the little JLA one the most. 

My LCS doesn’t have bins of back issue or collectible comics sadly.

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

I shined up my Lowrider and planned on taking my girlfriends kid to see some super hero cosplayers but she decided she didn’t want to go at the last minute. So I still went out there to get some comics to pass out to the nieces and nephews. Got there just in time to see the last table be loaded into a car. Parking lot was empty. It was 101 degrees. The store was full of teenagers though. Got my free comics and spent $50 on Conan mags. Lots of people standing around my car when I left 

Having people stand around my vintage bike makes me a little nervous. Too bad because I love to take it out. A ride and home or a car show where I’m right close to it is all it gets nowadays. Just too many shifty folks just waiting to jack you. Real sad...

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Having people stand around my vintage bike makes me a little nervous. Too bad because I love to take it out. A ride and home or a car show where I’m right close to it is all it gets nowadays. Just too many shifty folks just waiting to jack you. Real sad...

A bike is definitely easier to run off with. I don’t like leaving my car out unattended too long, I don’t take it grocery shopping or anything 

Here are some pics from FCBD here in Santa Barbara, CA. One of their employees fell ill so I went in and helped for 3 hours or so. Cool selection this year although not quite as good as last year - I added 4 of those titles to my pull, much to my wallets disappointment. It was really cool seeing so many kids there and also seeing most people not just coming in, getting their freebies and leaving. The store had a 20% off storewide sale and I worked the Marvel aisle of trades and got a bunch of people to pick up a few of my favorites.

IMG_2543.thumb.JPEG.c62aa7647b3e95ac014ad4349e71465b.JPEGIMG_2555.thumb.JPEG.cf230d8e9aa7ef2fdb78d70138656258.JPEGIMG_2561.thumb.JPEG.3d49c124e9e21f52060e974d4516b110.JPEGIMG_2564.thumb.JPEG.09aabaa9fd1b3d1572f1731b7c6f88c4.JPEGIMG_2557.thumb.JPEG.662a2c9328856e3b7bee05c3ffb58cbf.JPEGIMG_2563.thumb.JPEG.747ea27657fd16c5d45b279735bb5523.JPEGIMG_2548.thumb.JPEG.297fe81af4e8ac2067e7cf97d47d558d.JPEGIMG_2560.thumb.JPEG.c11eb1f929ed3e2b8d4ad904246e180d.JPEGIMG_2546.thumb.JPEG.1d9ef48f09a267712b2c3a4d2c1f79af.JPEGIMG_2542.thumb.JPEG.7973903b2cbba034da52510e2f72cbd5.JPEGIMG_2549.thumb.JPEG.a48a87ff2791fcf96fef21528af76af6.JPEGIMG_2551.thumb.JPEG.8c0a5fffad778e7dde9c0d0de45d5a7d.JPEGIMG_2562.thumb.JPEG.ed1d30d4b05541a297dfd1960c72c277.JPEGIMG_2545.JPEGIMG_2553.JPEG

Edited by Kramerica

Between 2 stores I picked up about 5 books for me and another 10 for my nephews. 

By far my favorite so far (even though it's basically a big ad for overstreet) is the Guide to Collecting FCBD 2019.  They had a nice 7 page article on stan lee. Both the comic "stories" are designed to explain how some comics are worth more than others...and that there is much more than just free comic book day!  Kudos to Overstreet for making their Ad still fun to read.  It's in their best interest to keep inspiring new collectors of course :)

20190505_080755.jpg

15570618767992984869335997839711.jpg

20190505_081643.jpg

Edited by Rhymenoceros

Went to 2 stores, both very generous with their selection and quantity (one was 1 of each per attendee; the other I've known the owner a long time so even though the posted policy was 4 books per attendee, he prepared me a bag with 2 copies of each that would be appropriate for my daughters, and 1 of each of the ones he thought I might like.)

I read the Avengers last night. I like the Savage Avengers so far (there's a back-up in the FCBD book, and I've read #1 already) but the FCBD Avengers lead story by Jason Aaron was plain awful. The guy writes Tony Stark's dialogue as if Stark is a 13-year-old girl. I guess it's his tone deaf attempt at making the character sound like the movie version? 

Plenty more to read, but 0-1 so far. Still on the FCBD pile are spiderman, goon, hope, interceptor, deadly class, and he gave me Buffy, not sure why. Will also read Lulu and the teenage Catwoman book from my kids' pile.

One ship had BOGO on their dollar boxes; my daughter made a stack.

44 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Do you remember how much the Amazing Spider-man 2 was going for in the case.(thumbsu

IMG_2560.thumb.JPEG.c11eb1f929ed3e2b8d4ad904246e180d.jpg

The owner priced it at $1995.00. I graded it 5.5 and did a thorough grading including page count/staples/centerfold investigation on it. It's improvable, probably to 6.0. Tomorrow is 20% off day at the store too.

4 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

The owner priced it at $1995.00. I graded it 5.5 and did a thorough grading including page count/staples/centerfold investigation on it. It's improvable, probably to 6.0. Tomorrow is 20% off day at the store too.

Thanks for the reply, I live in Ireland so the 20% off would have been great.(thumbsu 

OK, I finally had some time to read my comics from FCBD. I picked up 14 different. A few I was pretty sure I'd like and a bunch that I thought I would try out.  Here is my assessment.

These were unreadable. I barely paged through them. Not worth the ink and paper they were printed on:

My Favorite thing is Monsters, Star Wars, Interceptor and Avengers

These were OK, I managed to force my way through most of them:

Riverdale, Lady Mechanica, Tick, Teen Age Mutant Nija Turtles and Vampirella (second story wasn't bad)

Pick of the litter:

Dark Ages, Stranger Things (better than I thought) and believe it or not, Casper's Spookville!

The big winner:

Little Lulu Just timeless stuff and always a joy to read!

My last hope...

Haven't read Spiderman yet but the review sounds promising. Jury is still out...

Man, if this is the state of the industry, it's in trouble. I haven't bought Moderns in years and know why. Especially for about $4. a book. Who buys this stuff and why? I really can't reccomend anyone spending their time and money on stuff like this. Did I miss a good one? Maybe, but I doubt it. Tempted to chuck them in the recycle bin but just can't because I love the medium too much. Might take them to work and leave them in the break room when no one is around.

At least they were Free...

24 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

OK, I finally had some time to read my comics from FCBD. I picked up 14 different. A few I was pretty sure I'd like and a bunch that I thought I would try out.  Here is my assessment.

These were unreadable. I barely paged through them. Not worth the ink and paper they were printed on:

My Favorite thing is Monsters, Star Wars, Interceptor and Avengers

These were OK, I managed to force my way through most of them:

Riverdale, Lady Mechanica, Tick, Teen Age Mutant Nija Turtles and Vampirella (second story wasn't bad)

Pick of the litter:

Dark Ages, Stranger Things (better than I thought) and believe it or not, Casper's Spookville!

The big winner:

Little Lulu Just timeless stuff and always a joy to read!

My last hope...

Haven't read Spiderman yet but the review sounds promising. Jury is still out...

Man, if this is the state of the industry, it's in trouble. I haven't bought Moderns in years and know why. Especially for about $4. a book. Who buys this stuff and why? I really can't reccomend anyone spending their time and money on stuff like this. Did I miss a good one? Maybe, but I doubt it. Tempted to chuck them in the recycle bin but just can't because I love the medium too much. Might take them to work and leave them in the break room when no one is around.

At least they were Free...

The year of the villain... that one was decent...

Although it was a "preview" probably....

To next year but I enjoyed it :foryou: