• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is quality really better than quantity? For people like us?
2 2

77 posts in this topic

I often see people trying to sell/trade groups of lesser books for one big book.

The only time I see someone looking to trade a big book for mutiple lesser books is when they need cash too and its a downgrade+cash ask

Difficult question to answer given the many variables. As a former completist, I sure did buy some sh:censored: Spider-Man comics in my time. Thousands of them in fact. Looking back, I'd swap all of them now for a few decent books that I actually love. And read. 

Of equal value of course, I'm not totally stupid lol

But then again, those pence Charltons...hm

Investment wise keys are the smart move obviously. I own a good chunk of the books I like, almost nothing that could even be considered a semi key. I buy what I like, not what’s expensive. I like the fact that I can afford boxes of things I love and would much rather have that than a high grade AF15

but I sure would like an Albedo 2

17 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Investment wise keys are the smart move obviously. I own a good chunk of the books I like, almost nothing that could even be considered a semi key. I buy what I like, not what’s expensive. I like the fact that I can afford boxes of things I love and would much rather have that than a high grade AF15

but I sure would like an Albedo 2

Albedo 2 is the only Usagi that I'm missing and I'd love a copy, too.  I guess I should have pursued it more actively a long time ago.

I buy what I like and don't concern myself with resale value.  I like to think that I have a lot of quality mixed in to the quantity.

I'm torn. I see the wisdom in adding bigger/higher quality keys to your collection first (or only collecting them.)  Space limitations, easier to accomplish collecting goals, etc make this an attractive path. But then I love comics in general, and will grab high grade silver and bronze commons all day long even if it means i miss out on a key here or there.  For moderns, if I do buy them  its only keys. I've pretty much quit buying moderns outside of trades or omnibus editions to read now and then.

7 minutes ago, ender said:

To a point I would agree quality over quantity but not if it got really extreme.  Hypothetically, lets say if I sold every book I owned I could probably buy a Batman 1 in mid-grade.  But then that one book is my comic "collection."  Would I get more out of owning that than I would 10,000 different books that I can go back and look at whenever I want?  Probably not.  But that may just be me.

Here in lies the fallacy...

Do I love and cherish 1 book over the ones I've felt the thrill of the hunt for or other connection to.

I can't say there is 1 book I value over my collection, some of it maybe, but those don't always equate in value...

Eeeze uh peeeradox!

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do I love and cherish 1 book over the ones I've felt the thrill of the hunt for or other connection to.

I can't say there is 1 book I value over my collection, some of it maybe, but those don't always equate in value...

Eeeze uh peeeradox!

What about the first comic you remember purchasing, or reading that hooked you into this hobby? Certainly you have to gravitate to a distinct fondness to that issue?? @ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

What about the first comic you remember purchasing, or reading that hooked you into this hobby? Certainly you have to gravitate to a distinct fondness to that issue?? @ADAMANTIUM

I already own it, but only because I still have it from my childhood. I don't think there is an issue that:

I need in higher grade than I own

That I need to sell a lot of my collection to afford a "quality" copy :shy:

you have said that you've never sold a book from your collection. Surely you can see my pov that it isn't that I haven't "purchased quality".... I've only purchased what I could afford...

I know that's not the intent of this thread, but imo it's hard to defend quality over quantity, because that is relative and unique to each of us, without coming off smug :foryou:

we've conversed so I feel comfyish to say, but I was saying originally for me imo, it's just another pov... ;)

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Eeeze uh peeeradox!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I already own it, but only because I still have it from my childhood. I don't think there is an issue that:

I need in higher grade than I own

That I need to sell a lot of my collection to afford a "quality" copy :shy:

you have said that you've never sold a book from your collection. Surely you can see my pov that it isn't that I haven't "purchased quality".... I've only purchased what I could afford...

I know that's not the intent of this thread, but imo it's hard to defend quality over quantity, because that is relative and unique to each of us, without coming off smug :foryou:

we've conversed so I feel comfyish to say, but I was saying originally for me imo, it's just another pov... ;)

Just wondered if it was one of you’re most cherished books @ADAMANTIUM,

clearly it is. And I agree no upgrade needed. :cloud9:

13 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Just wondered if it was one of you’re most cherished books @ADAMANTIUM,

clearly it is. And I agree no upgrade needed. :cloud9:

Lol thanks :shy:

I'm not too far removed from the copper age anyway lol a $100 would probably buy me the highest graded that I remember purchasing for myself or picked out for me, so "I'm one to talk" lol

but there was the period I fell in love with BA AND S.A. possibly further back, that my mind has just reconciled as too $$ for my blood compared to the affection that I have for CA and recent copies that I read growing up :foryou:

quality means different things but everyone can feel comfortable with the choices they've made, and I get that sometimes the grail is worth it ^^

I'm not knocking that at all ;)

just for me, it would be a hard choice to make...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'll never collect another (edit: graded) complete run as long as I live. Spawn with all variants broke me forever and ever. 

Now I have a much smaller collection of expensive books that are easier to manage and enjoy, and I love every one of them...they serve a greater purpose than filling a slot in a spreadsheet.

Edited by newshane

@nepatkm

You made me think to deep lol

Now I need some time to reflect and look deeply into the night :headbang: and somberly imbibe but I don't drink so I might just eat left over cornbread and go to bed happy (: