• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is quality really better than quantity? For people like us?
2 2

77 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

It sounds like your Spawn run was pretty fantastic.

Thanks! 

I have to say, it really was epic. 

2018 BEST IN MODERN AGE

13 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Speaking as a collector on a budget for 40 years I have a lot of "Well Loved" readers and my goal was/is to complete my runs not collect high grade keys, If I was at a con/show and had the chance to buy one high grade book I needed or 10 low grade books I needed for the same price I would have taken the 10 low grade books.

Now that I am getting up in years it just seems logical that only owning 5 -10 "High Grade Keys" would be easier for my family for liquidation after I am gone rather then them having to liquidate 2000 books. (95% are 10 cent/12 cent/25 cent annuals)

But I digress, I am still here, have no plans to get rid of anything and I am completely happy with my collection as it stands and would not have done anything differently.

I think that might be the most sound strategy.  but don't forget to diversify those 5-10 keys.

10 hours ago, newshane said:

The part that wrecked me was my insistence on 9.8 copies. There are lots of DARK covers in the run...tons of them. That made it extremely difficult and expensive. Also, relatively low print runs on many of the issues. Throw in scores of variants, some of them ultra rare (print runs of 100 or less) and it was a freaking beast of a task. I checked 4 or 5 vendors every day for 7 years and spent a mountain of cash. 

Eventually, it became too stressful and cumbersome (400+ slabs) to continue. Every month, there would be at least 4 or 5 different variants to chase. Why continue when it wasn't fun anymore? Honestly, the variants were the nail in the coffin. It got ridiculous, and the variants weren't even COOL anymore. "Oh YAY! Another black and white cover!" :sick:

The worst thing was having to pass on a number of cool books that I actually wanted...for those 7 years I bought nothing but Spawn. It took an incredible amount of time, money, cunning, and vigilance. 

AND...I never found a copy of 156. There was nothing special about it. Just a black cover with poor paperstock, released during the "low" print run era. No one cared about Spawn in 2006; indeed, many people didn't know Spawn was still going! Combine these factors and you have an impossible book. 

Get this! I had a SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR BOUNTY on that issue at one time, which is really just stupid when you think about it. I was literally the only guy on the planet who was so desperate for one. Some of the biggest dealers and hunters in the country couldn't track one down. Indeed, I couldn't even find a 9.6! 

I had everything but that issue...I even had the 185 Sketch (rumors of less than 60 copies)...but never 156. 

That book in grade is a true unicorn. 

In the end, it broke my heart to sell the collection. But now I am much happier in the hobby! 

No more runs for me. That part of my psyche has been satiated and eliminated. It really can spin you off into a sort of madness. Highly NOT recommended! lol 

At least you weren't a crazy ASM completist. that's a terminal disease or life sentence without parole.

btw, I wonder if $10k would have brought out the spawn 156. worked for the ASM 667 Dell'Ottos. stingy bastards.

10 hours ago, newshane said:

In the end, it broke my heart to sell the collection. But now I am much happier in the hobby! 

Well, hopefully you was able to get back most of your money when it came time to sell your Spawn collection.  :wishluck:

On 4/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, jason4 said:

I'd rather have 10 keys than same value but 500 comics. Easier to keep, look at, and then someday sell or pass on. So yes in my view.

+1

I would definitely agree with you here, at least from a seller's point of view.  (thumbsu

As I have stated many times on these boards here, in today's marketplace, it's much easier and faster to sell one $10,000 book as compared to trying to sell one hundred $10 books.

But if you are a reader and a true collector in the traditional sense of the word, I imagine reading 100 books would be the route to go as opposed to having just the one book that you might even be afraid to open up in fear of possibly damaging it.  hm

So, it's really much more a case of to each their own. (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I would definitely agree with you here, at least from a seller's point of view.  (thumbsu

As I have stated many times on these boards here, in today's marketplace, it's much easier and faster to sell one $10,000 book as compared to trying to sell one hundred $10 books.

But if you are a reader and a true collector in the traditional sense of the word, I imagine reading 100 books would be the route to go as opposed to having just the one book that you might even be afraid to open up in fear of possibly damaging it.  hm

@valiantman I think posted some eBay stats at the beginning of the year...

I agree with you, to each their own, I would go further to say each individual seller has sold 100 $10 books before they sold 1 $10,000 book.

So while one might be easier, imo, 1 happens more often than the other...

Back to valiant, I think he posted in which months according to eBay sales had more over $10,000 purchases vs. Under $10,000 :foryou:

I'm in no way a big seller, but I know which will happen first, probably haha

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, hopefully you was able to get back most of your money when it came time to sell your Spawn collection.  :wishluck:

I did quite well, actually. Massive profits on some and massive losses on others. I was able to break even or a little better. 

7 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Comics are serialized stories, what's the point of owning a story you can't read?  That's like owning the steering wheel off a sports car... why bother?

I agree, but this is the problem with CGC holders in general.  I understand and respect the lure of surrounding yourself with many books. This being my 3rd foray into collecting, I’ve gone the direction of keys.  Yes, I know I’ve got unrelated books sitting in a box, but I like it anyway.  And since I’d be fearful of opening the books anyway(please dont judge me!), I am glad the temptation has been surgically removed by the encapsulation.  I recently bought a Cap 1, and to get past the encapsulation, I bought a great page of the book(also in a CGC holder), as well as a cheap reprint.  It makes me happy

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I too would much rather sell one $10,000 book than 100 $10 books. It's faster and easier. You also end up with $9,000 more, which is an added bonus.

8 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Whatever suits folks.  There will always be run collectors.  There will always be key collectors.  There will always be hoarders vs. big game hunters.

This

10 hours ago, FineCollector said:

What so many fail to understand is that quantity is quality.  Not random boxes of drek, quality is complete, curated runs.  Run collectors buy "quality" as well, but we see value in every issue, not just the expensive ones.  To me, keys are just expensive run filler.  I can't harsh on anyone's decision on how to collect, but I can't understand how anyone can appreciate a box of unrelated keys, just because they're more expensive that the issues around them.  Comics are serialized stories, what's the point of owning a story you can't read?  That's like owning the steering wheel off a sports car... why bother?  I honestly think key collectors are trying to relive a youthful image of their first time in a store with wall books, and that's why so many key collectors are compelled to display their stuff.  High price tags shouldn't be a reason to collect, the books are.

The raws and slabs I have are issues which mean the most to me, and more often that doesn't involve buying or chasing a key. Certainly not at present.  There are some keys whose actual content is mediocre or worse, and cheap issues which have great stories and art.  As long as I obtain what I consider to be quality, the way the market judges and designates my books doesn't matter to me.

And, if I want to enjoy reading a run of a title, I can explore that quickly and cheaply via digital, and maybe uncover something else of quality in the process.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, newshane said:

Thanks! 

I have to say, it really was epic. 

2018 BEST IN MODERN AGE

I don't know if I could have let go of that. Impressive run for sure. I colored Spawn one time for conjure magazine. It was a gate fold cover.

Edited by WoWitHurts
image removal

On 4/27/2019 at 11:53 PM, FineCollector said:

What so many fail to understand is that quantity is quality.  Not random boxes of drek, quality is complete, curated runs.  Run collectors buy "quality" as well, but we see value in every issue, not just the expensive ones.  To me, keys are just expensive run filler.  I can't harsh on anyone's decision on how to collect, but I can't understand how anyone can appreciate a box of unrelated keys, just because they're more expensive that the issues around them.  Comics are serialized stories, what's the point of owning a story you can't read?  That's like owning the steering wheel off a sports car... why bother?  I honestly think key collectors are trying to relive a youthful image of their first time in a store with wall books, and that's why so many key collectors are compelled to display their stuff.  High price tags shouldn't be a reason to collect, the books are.

Shane's problem, as I see it, is that the run had to be in 9.8.  Why put an arbitrary limit on your collection that makes it unfeasible to complete?  Golden age collectors know the struggle well.  Find a copy first.  If you don't like it, find a better one later.

I think because that is a combination on the influence of baseball card collecting coupled with the modern age. 

In baseball card collecting it was better to have a players's first card, their rookie card rather than every card that he ever appeared on.  The hobby still places importance on a player's first major card.  The comic book hobby stressed this as well.  So, while the Spider-man - Juggernaut battle in ASM 229-230 is epic and defining of the character, the 1st appearances of Spider-man and Juggernaut are far more coveted.  In today's modern age though, if reading is the thing, comics are far more easily read via digital format if reading is the priority.  If being a collectible is the priority than the first appearance and major keys are coveted. 

When we were younger there was a different mentality to it because storylines were not reprinted or collected the way that they are today.  If you wanted to read the story you HAD to collect the back issues.  Today the actual comics are more disposable than ever.  They are so disposable they no longer have to be even bought to begin with.  

As the reading experience further divides itself from the collecting experience, the draw toward important keys will continue. 

Just my thought...

I collected a full run of Spider-man and continue to maintain it.  However if I had to choose between Nova 1 and Nova 2 though the rest... Nova 1 will win. 

On 4/27/2019 at 9:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@valiantman I think posted some eBay stats at the beginning of the year...

I agree with you, to each their own, I would go further to say each individual seller has sold 100 $10 books before they sold 1 $10,000 book.

So while one might be easier, imo, 1 happens more often than the other...

Back to valiant, I think he posted in which months according to eBay sales had more over $10,000 purchases vs. Under $10,000 :foryou:

I'm in no way a big seller, but I know which will happen first, probably haha

It was 2014-2017, but it should still be useful: 

best_months_slabs_ebay.png

I see more financial upside at a show, for example, buying $100 worth of carefully selected  $1-3 books than trying to get a deal on a $100 book, but more work In realizing that upside. In terms of immediate return. Of course, a mid grade ASM 129 or IM 55 cost $100 not that long ago, so it depends on what you plunk down for. What always gets me is when I lower my standards, although it is usually to get a bulk deal.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When we were younger there was a different mentality to it because storylines were not reprinted or collected the way that they are today.  If you wanted to read the story you HAD to collect the back issues.  Today the actual comics are more disposable than ever.  They are so disposable they no longer have to be even bought to begin with. 

That makes me happy about the easy digital access to reading near enough whatever I want, whenever I want, which was impossible for me as a kid, with no comic shops or marts here in the north of England, patchy distribution of American comics, and no idea about how to source back issues to read a complete story or to collect.

I’m very relieved to be liberated from those restrictions, frustrations and uncertainties now.  

Edited by Ken Aldred