• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Crack/Press/Sub Results
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I pressed the following with excellent results

Hulk 181 7.0 to a 8.5 

Hulk 181 3.0 to a 4.5

Hulk 181 7.0 to a 8.0 

Hulk 181 4.5 to a 6.0

Giant Size X-Men 5.0 to a 6.5 

ASM 129 8.5 to a 9.2 

ASM 129 5.5 to a 7.5 

Edited by Kevin76

Green Lantern #59 8.5 to 9.6

GSXM #1 8.0 to 9.4

X-Men #100 6.5 to 9.2 (not a huge value increase, but I was particularly pleased with that one.)

X-Men #94 7.5 to 9.4 

X-Men #121 9.0 to 9.8 

(I'm sensing a theme, here...)

34 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

How do you guys spot these? Especially, through the slabs?  And some even on ebay, I assume? 

You have to know which defects to look for. To be honest, these types of home runs are getting harder to find as dealers and collectors are sending books in to be CPR’d before selling as is. Doesn’t mean you can’t find them, you just have to know where to look. 

2 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

How do you guys spot these? Especially, through the slabs?  And some even on ebay, I assume? 

There's actually a decent business in "mostly pressed" books. It's like Wesley being mostly dead...he wasn't all the way dead. I've bought books from sellers who press their books, and I cracked them out, pressed them again, and got better results. A lot of that is because most of the commercial pressers do the "one and done" press, and whatever you get, that's what you get....except it isn't done. There's a degree of luck involved, for sure, but you can identify "mostly pressed" books fairly easily with practice.

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

27 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Wow some major improvements here. I am wondering if there are any pictures of befores and afters?

I don't get how a book can go from a mid grade to a 9.0 or better. 

The right kind of defects. Get a book that is "crinkly"...but doesn't break color? Almost all of that will come out. 

This book started in a 6.5 slab:

s-l1600.jpg

It's also got a well-known illusion that inexperienced graders downgrade. In that blackish "mound" at the bottom of the cover is art artifacts that look like creasing. It's not. It's part of the artwork. But that isn't always caught.

Here's a better picture:

s-l1600.jpg

Those lines aren't wear...they're an art artifact.

Here's another example:

s-l1600.jpg

See what looks like color breaking spine stress near Vindicator's right elbow? It's not. It's part of the artwork.

I had a Hulk 181 go from 8.0 to 9.4.  Of course I sold it for just a bit over $1K a few years back right before it started going crazy insane up and away in price!  :(

Well, I didn't get huge jump in grade, but I can tell the book does look nicer with the CGC Standard press...   I was really disapointed when I had a CGC 9.6 regraded by CGC and it went down two grades !😱😡  

I posted a video and pictures here...

Edited by BOLORINO