• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance of Spider-Man black costume

18 posts in this topic

I have been doing a great deal of research on the first appearance of Spider-Man’s black costume. My findings were confusing to a new collector. Most people say it was in amazing Spider-Man #252 published in May of 1984. I found a copy of the comics journal from October 1983 with a picture of the black costume and this was shortly after Randy Schueller drew the character and Jim Schooter bought it for $220. I have subsequently gone ahead and tried to put other appearances in chronological order but the first in my opinion would be the comics journal from 1983.

Rick

11 minutes ago, Rick Landry said:

I have been doing a great deal of research on the first appearance of Spider-Man’s black costume. My findings were confusing to a new collector. Most people say it was in amazing Spider-Man #252 published in May of 1984. I found a copy of the comics journal from October 1983 with a picture of the black costume and this was shortly after Randy Schueller drew the character and Jim Schooter bought it for $220. I have subsequently gone ahead and tried to put other appearances in chronological order but the first in my opinion would be the comics journal from 1983.

Rick

Hi Rick,

You'll find others have researched this too. Here's a recent one:

Funny stuff. Many skeptics out there about first appearances. I guess you could have first appearances or ideas before the full story in a comic. The comics journal I think is a rare situation with the black costume because it no longer is in publication. I can’t think of any other character that I know of . I wonder if they talk about Superman or Batman’s capes and if there were drawings in different publications. I don’t think so. This was a big thing for Marvel. What ever you want to call it the date of October 1983 proves the costume first appeared in print.

R

Call me confused.  Was this comics journal a Marvel production?  What was the context in which an image of B&W Spidey was used, in a story, an ad, or a pin-up page?

On 4/27/2019 at 9:24 PM, Gaard said:

I like it ...preview appearances.

Why say "appearance" at all?  They are previews.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

But what was the first preview appearance? 

There is no first preview, because every time we think we know another one pops up.  Therefore we will just continue putting pre on the front.

Preview

Prepreview

Preprepreview, etc.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:46 PM, So Close said:

Was it Marvel Age?

On 4/29/2019 at 2:27 PM, namisgr said:

Call me confused.  Was this comics journal a Marvel production?  What was the context in which an image of B&W Spidey was used, in a story, an ad, or a pin-up page?

OP said it was the Comics Journal, October 1983, no?

bookcover_cj0851.jpg

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

OP said it was the Comics Journal, October 1983, no?

bookcover_cj0851.jpg

Well, not having been published by Marvel, that to me could never be considered a first appearance of any Marvel character.

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Why say "appearance" at all?  They are previews.

There is no first preview, because every time we think we know another one pops up.  Therefore we will just continue putting pre on the front.

Preview

Prepreview

Preprepreview, etc.

But what was the first preprepreview, etc. appearance? 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

But what was the first preprepreview, etc. appearance? 

It depends on whether we're talking about a Marvel or D.C. character, except that it doesn't depend on that, because the answer is always "when it only existed in Stan Lee's head".

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It depends on whether we're talking about a Marvel or D.C. character, except that it doesn't depend on that, because the answer is always "when it only existed in Stan Lee's head".

But when was the first time it existed in Stan Lee's head?

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But when was the first time it existed in Stan Lee's head?

Just after he saw Jack Kirby draw it.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:28 PM, HuddyBee said:

Have you also considered Spectacular Spiderman 90, and Marvel Team-up 141?

I think the label for Marvel Team-up 141 notes that it ties for first appearance with ASM 252