• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It A Good Idea To Get #1 Comics Slabbed

12 posts in this topic

It is really your preference and depends on which #1s they are.  If they are important to you, then sure get them slabbed, but they might not be worth the slab in the long run.  If they are key issues that have a reason and condition to make the slabbing worth it, then by all means the answer would be yes.  Just being a #1 does not make it a key issue unfortunately.

This is just my opinion though.

14 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

I have a bunch of #1 comics and I was wondering if it is worth it to get them slabbed.

Lisa

That's like asking if any of the stones on your property are valuable.  Value is determined many factors- demand, condition, scarcity and more. Some first issues are worth stabbing. Many are not.  You shouldn't spend any money until you have a better understanding of the market and can determine which books to submit. Many new submitters invest time, money and effort only do get grades that prohibit them from seeing a profit.

When Marvel came out with their New Universe titles, most titles had 90% drops between issues 1 and 2.  Second issues are often rarer than First issues, but don't have the gravitas of the Premier ones.

Use the internet to estimate costs and revenues, use your own skills to do grade estimates, and do the math.  Then factor in your own preferences to make your decisions.

Or we can do the work for you, just give us the following:

1.  List of the comics in question.

2.  10-15 high res detailed pics of each of those comics, including front, back, interior, spine, corners, etc.

3.  Your address.

4.  Your credit history.

5.  Your bank account and salary information.

6.  A 3-5 page essay about your personality with topics including risk preferences, financial/emotional patience, experience with sales, ebay history.

No need to tell us where you went to college, I think we all assume you went to USC.

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated. I guess I will have to check the values first before jumping feet first into slabbing every #1. The one I was most interested in doing first was a rare superman that was used for  "Landmine" safety awareness promotional comic sponsored by UNICEF and MAC targeting Bosnia and Herzegovina. The English Edition was not available to the public, but printed in a limited quantity as a proof-reading-copy that was distributed to U.S. Army Officers for content approval. 

Lisa

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC3.A0.H0.Xsuperman+landmine+safety+unicef+1.TRS5&_nkw=superman+landmine+safety+unicef+1&_sacat=0

well there's seemingly 4 available on ebay, however, I'm not sure if your copy is some type of special 'proof-reading' version that might be different than the ones being sold.  The cheapest one is being sold for $15.

Of course condition plays a factor (maybe the largest factor) in price as well.  But for something like this sometimes the rarity works against it because people don't know about it. 

My guess is that you're going to need to do a LOT more research and learning to grade before knowing which to grade.  So hopefully you have a real interest in comics, or its going to get suuuupppperrrrr tedious

OR in the alternative, honestly if most of your comics from the 80's forward there's a high chance that NONE of them will be worth grading.  IF I were you, I'd just take a group shot of the Top 50 or so comics you think might be worth grading.  People here can identify really really quickly which ones might be worth grading and they can tell you to research those further.  Or we might be able to make a blanket statement that NONE of them are worth grading and save a bunch of time for you.