• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graders Notes and Rust

11 posts in this topic

Will the Graders Notes always indicate whether the staples are rusty - or does it depend on the grader? 

I have pulled a few set of notes and have seen staple rust indicated - just wondering whether it is always something they note and I can rely on - i.e., I am considering a big purchase, staple rust is a deal breaker for me, the seller says the staple looks discolored a bit but the staple is very hard to see as it is detached from the FC and recessed, so I pulled the notes and no rust is noted ...... so trying to see if I can rely on the notes :)

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

Will the Graders Notes always indicate whether the staples are rusty - or does it depend on the grader? 

I have pulled a few set of notes and have seen staple rust indicated - just wondering whether it is always something they note and I can rely on - i.e., I am considering a big purchase, staple rust is a deal breaker for me, the seller says the staple looks discolored a bit but the staple is very hard to see as it is detached from the FC and recessed, so I pulled the notes and no rust is noted ...... so trying to see if I can rely on the notes :)

I think it depends on the severity of the rust on the staples. More often than not, in my experience, it seems to not be referenced on the notes. 

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I'm the same way, no rust is good rust so I always refer to the notes.  From what I've seen even light rust is noted as something like "light rust on top staple" etc.  I've attached an example.

Screenshot 2019-04-28 11.26.35.png

Edited by comicquant

So I guess my question is really whether I can rely on the notes that say nothing about rust ..... it seems like some of you have had experiences where the notes do not mention it even if it is there .... which causes some concern. 

But I have pulled notes where heavy and light rust were noted on top or bottom staples - so I want to think that if the notes don’t mention that there is no rust ....... blargh tough call. 

Here are the notes and I should note the seller did say the bottom staples was discoloured (so it is the “suspect” staple) and the fact that the notes contain explicit mention of the bottom staple make me think if there was rust in that staple they would mention it???

NOTES:

chip out right bottom of front cover
heavy fade front cover
light, multiple stain interior cover
multiple crease full bottom of front cover breaks color small tear left center of back cover
small, multiple tear full bottom of front cover spine stress lines breaks color
staple detached bottom of cover

On 4/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, Chillax23 said:

So I guess my question is really whether I can rely on the notes that say nothing about rust ..... it seems like some of you have had experiences where the notes do not mention it even if it is there .... which causes some concern. 

About a year ago I nearly bid up a silver age 7.0 in which the top staple was rusted. Very small but clearly visible from scans. It took a very keen eye from a fellow boardie to point it out to me. 

I pulled notes and there was no mention of rust. I try to be diligent as possible when buying from pictures but wouldn't rely on grader notes alone.

Edited by c_mkv

On 4/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, Chillax23 said:

But I have pulled notes where heavy and light rust were noted on top or bottom staples - so I want to think that if the notes don’t mention that there is no rust ....... blargh tough call. 

Here are the notes and I should note the seller did say the bottom staples was discoloured (so it is the “suspect” staple) and the fact that the notes contain explicit mention of the bottom staple make me think if there was rust in that staple they would mention it???

NOTES:

chip out right bottom of front cover
heavy fade front cover
light, multiple stain interior cover
multiple crease full bottom of front cover breaks color small tear left center of back cover
small, multiple tear full bottom of front cover spine stress lines breaks color
staple detached bottom of cover

Woof. I'd actually be concerned about some of these other flaws, too (such as the heavy fade front cover, or the cover being detached from the bottom staple). I hate staple rust, but this book seems to have some pretty serious issues in addition to the condition of the bottom staple. And those are pretty extensive notes---I'm actually impressed. To be honest, given the severity of these flaws, I'd personally look for a copy that didn't have a heavy cover fade and/or a partially detached cover. Like one of my friends says, "I warned ya..."   O.o

Another question - if there is restoration on a book that says "Small amount of glue on spine of cover" will the Grader's Notes give ny indication of where that glue is located/where the resto is?  I am wondering about being able to possibly remove the small amount of glue.

29 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Another question - if there is restoration on a book that says "Small amount of glue on spine of cover" will the Grader's Notes give ny indication of where that glue is located/where the resto is?  I am wondering about being able to possibly remove the small amount of glue.

Just remember a "Small amount" doesn't always mean that. ;) Look what they call a small amount of CT, if the grade loss is acceptable to what your paying then win win but if not I wouldn't chance it.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/437836-did-i-do-the-right-thing-with-my-original-ff1/

32 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

This usually implies that glue was used in an attempt to seal a spine split. The exact location on the spine may be mentioned in the notes, but if not, you could have CCS examine it to determine the location and extent of the glue involved. And Finhead is correct, a small amount of glue may be more extensive than you'd expect... :hi: