• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

Alright, sliding some more in before the show. A-Force #1, the 1st appearance of Singularity. Maybe something maybe not but my gut says go, go, go on this one. There are at least 3 covers to this one. Two of these are done by Stephanie Hans. She has many covers that I own and very few I don’t want to have in my collection. So I’d say buy the one with her face taking up the cover. It seems to be the most popular version. 

I have at least 2 copies of each with 2 CGC 9.8s of the Hand “face” cover. I like them equally but go with the best seller. Keeping one and selling one to pay for all of the others. 

Rating 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

B87E8935-AE83-4B49-8459-B239E517200B.jpeg

90849F67-A7EC-477E-B68E-B5004AA84F41.jpeg

Alrighty. For something a little different and completely incredible...X-men # and #5. Jim Lee is as goods as it gets. These are two exceptionally well rendered covers. One features the 1st appearance of Omega Red.The character is a great foe for Wolverine and the X-men but would make a great opponent for most characters in the Marvel U. 

I own gobs of these if you can high, you’ll eventually reach gobs 😝 

I have one CGC 9.8 of of #4

Ratings

#4 and #5

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

the number available is the only thing holding these down from a better rating. 

811060DD-DF0C-44FE-B8D2-2A9CB5DD719B.jpeg

5A7E67A5-E8CC-4558-89EB-8B34CE40175B.jpeg

Lost in the 90s tonight. This is Bloodshot #6 and #7. The 1st Ninjak and 1st cover. It is hard to describe how much I loved and looked forward to this book when it came out back then. It was different, futuristic, and even seemed slightly plausible to me. These 2 books seem so undervalued to me but it could be due to it being in the cheap bins for so long. Sometimes, people still assume things belong there when they no longer do. Ninjak is a Valiant mainstay and an interesting character. This should only increase in value. 

I own probably 10 of each. Never sent one to CGC but the time is nearing. 

Rating

#6 and #7 

raw NM = 8 of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 of 10

25CE7FBB-2EE1-4FE6-B491-A0998E489FBD.jpeg

93635FAC-1BC3-497C-BD59-C3AE775E334E.jpeg

1 hour ago, the authority said:

Alrighty. For something a little different and completely incredible...X-men # and #5. Jim Lee is as goods as it gets. These are two exceptionally well rendered covers. One features the 1st appearance of Omega Red.The character is a great foe for Wolverine and the X-men but would make a great opponent for most characters in the Marvel U. 

I own gobs of these if you can high, you’ll eventually reach gobs 😝 

I have one CGC 9.8 of of #4

Ratings

#4 and #5

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

the number available is the only thing holding these down from a better rating. 

811060DD-DF0C-44FE-B8D2-2A9CB5DD719B.jpeg

5A7E67A5-E8CC-4558-89EB-8B34CE40175B.jpeg

Big sleeper. One of Jim Lee`s greatest creations Omega Red. Could be lot of potential with this character in upcoming Marvel movies.

...and, we’re back. Next up is another hot one. Marvel Now Point One 1. First full appearance of the new Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan. What more needs to be said ? She has a huge following in a very short period of time. She’s been an Avenger and a Champion. Special character and book. 

I sold everything of her that I had except a CGC 9.6 of this issue and a few Ms Marvel #1s that I originally thought would be her first full. Even the 2nd prints of #17. I’m embarrassed to tell you how cheaply I sold those.

rating

raw NM = 9 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 9 out of 10

0FC9545A-C46A-49E6-917A-9FD43504D330.jpeg

Okay, let’s get back to a few personal favorites that are way undervalued. Stormwatch #37. The first Warren Ellis on this series. Stormwatch vol. 2 #4. First Midnighter and Apollo. The Authority #1, the first widescreen team book. It changed the way comics looked, led to Mark Miller joining the team, which led us to the Ultimates. The Ultimates changed the tone of the Avengers. I believe this book is the reason some of the Avengers looked and acted the way they do in the MCU. 

Youve heard my thoughts on Warren Ellis. He is amazing. Believe it or not, he has books that made it to the big screen. Yes, RED with Bruce Willis, Mary Louise Parker, Morgan Freeman, HelenMirren, and John Malkovich is an Ellis transfer. Such a fun show. A who’s who of stars. So think about it. RED was a decent book but a far cry from these books. 

So here we go. I own 6 or more ( lost count ) of these books. I own every TPB of the series too. I read them every year on vacation. How crazy. No surprises but just so many fun..and sad...and exciting moments in these stories. 

I own a CGC 9.8 of The Authority #1 and 9.4 of Stormwatch #4. I sold my 9.6 and 9.8 of #4. Uggghhh. I’ve sent a few of #37 in for prescreen 9.8 and none have hit it.

Ratings #37

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC = 9 out of 10

raw NM = 9 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 9 out of 10

The Authority #1

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

E70DE161-612D-4D82-982D-077AE04B14CA.jpeg

6EE21455-8B49-48E3-8203-8FFCB216BCF7.jpeg

62A02254-EC12-457C-8D80-5A03C154E4C9.jpeg

So this Robert Kirkman guy is kind of a big deal. While I bought Walking Dead from issue #1 on, it wasn’t my favorite Kirkman book at that time. No, Invincible #1 was the standout to me. For those or you who haven’t read it. Mix Spider-man wit, age, and situations. Now add in Supermanlike powers and a rogues gallery to match Flash, Batman, or Spider-Man. Mix in writer who gets comics readers and you have one of the most enjoyable reads...ever.

I don’t won’t to spoil anything so I won’t but please believe. It’s fun, brutal, happy, and sad. Perfect storm.

Noble Causes #3 should be mentioned as it’s his 1st. He is on the cover of one of those issues. 

I own zero Invincible #1 and only one of the Noble Causes. At one time, I had 10 and 3. It’s hard to pass a profit but sometimes, sometimes, it just isn’t the time to sell. That happened to me more than a few times and this was a big screw up. 😝 

Rating Invincible #1

Raw NM 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 9 out of 10

Noble Causes would be a 5 out of 10 on both counts. 

43B61AF2-E915-43A0-9453-A8740C84DABE.jpeg

D0315A72-8CBF-4946-81BE-D83374743241.jpeg

Some Batman villains are due. How about Vengeance of Bane 1 ? Big, bad, back breaking bad guy. Definitely a top guy on the list of threats to Batman. Was the key threat in what I believe was one of the 3 best modern Batman runs. Hush and Court of Owls are the others. He’s also been the main shebang in a Batman movie. It’s hard to imagine something bigger happening with this character. That said, there is still a little room for growth because he is still being regularly used in the comics.

I have zero copies. Sold all of mine.

Rating

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

AF75D599-DD65-4EA2-85C0-64B9DEF5AA50.jpeg

Last one for tonight. Batman Harley Quinn. The Alex Ross cover is worth the price of admission alone. I think Ross is one of the best ever. He absolutely shines with Superman and Batman art. With this book ? He’s a rockstar. This is the first mainstream appearance of Harley in the DCU. I think this book is undervalued...and I’m buying one in June. It is 3rd on my hunt list right now. 

I have zero copies. I sold my only one over a tiny, tiny blemish. Sometimes being OCD is a problem. 

Ratings

raw NM = 9 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 9 out of 10

93AD6822-480A-453F-AFA5-2CD7ECE967B2.jpeg

Next up, Flash #197. This is the 1st appearance and origin of Professor Zoom. This guy is about as dangerous as a DC villain gets. He is the perfect foil for the Flash. Assuming the Justice League stays on the big screen, it’s only a matter of time before he joins the fight. He’s already in other media. The book has sold well since its arrival and I don’t expect that to change. The book has a high floor and that isn’t common for a modern villain.

I own 1 NM copy and I’m not selling.

ratings 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

4FCFB70D-6C27-4897-992A-24BE97C8A013.jpeg

How about some Hulk ? Let’s start with Amazing Fantasy #15 featuring the 1st appearance of Amadeus Cho. This character is going places. Not sure where but Marvel keeps pushing him out there for us and his books are pretty nice. He’s Totally Awesome. 😝 

I believe that this book will continue to grow and I’d add that the #1 issue of Totally Awesome Hulk seems entirely too cheap at around $5 for a lead character’s first series. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m a buyer.

I own zero of Amazing Fantasy #15 but it is on my list of summer buys. I always seem to forget this book when it’s in a lull. I’ll try to buy it for a month and it peaks during that time. I’ll get it this year.

I have 3 copies of TAH #1 in NM+

Edit: per Hey Kids, Comics! Issue #1 is also the 1st appearance of Amadeus as the Hulk. Very important addition. Thanks 👍

Ratings 

AF #15

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

TAH #1

raw NM = 8 out of 10 ( too cheap )

CGC 9.8 = 8 out 10 ( one sold for $36 this year )

B5EA4AED-3380-4169-9168-D77EEC913D79.jpeg

3B4B1000-FD46-4F61-ADD4-8AD892BA29D9.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Next, Totally Awesome Hulk #22. The 1st appearance of Weapon H. Every time Marvel meshes a character and I think to myself, “ wow, this is dumb...” it turns out to be a pretty decent story and character most of the time. This is why I stick to reading comics and not writing them 😂 

So, big things in store for him in the future. The entire run of this story also had very cool covers. He is going to be a little tough to write because he is so powerful but they’ll do it and it will be just fine.

I own 1 1st print and and 3 2nd. I bought the 3 thinking they were 1st. Lol all NM +

Rating

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

637F3BAB-5961-483D-892D-F76AEDAFF4D8.jpeg

A little more DC ? Okay, here is Batman #567. The 1st appearance of Cassandra Cain Batgirl. This book was a high flyer for a good long while and then kind of settled down. Very good character and likely to be back in the spotlight. 

I own 1 NM copy

ratings 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

C57144F7-B2E0-48B0-BDE2-ED56C104CD83.jpeg

1 hour ago, the authority said:

How about some Hulk ? Let’s start with Amazing Fantasy #15 featuring the 1st appearance of Amadeus Cho. This character is going places. Not sure where but Marvel keeps pushing him out there for us and his books are pretty nice. He’s Totally Awesome. 😝 

I believe that this book will continue to grow and I’d add that the #1 issue of Totally Awesome Hulk seems entirely too cheap at around $5 for a lead character’s first series. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m a buyer.

I own zero of Amazing Fantasy #15 but it is on my list of summer buys. I always seem to forget this book when it’s in a lull. I’ll try to buy it for a month and it peaks during that time. I’ll get it this year.

I have 3 copies of TAH #1 in NM+

Ratings 

AF #15

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

TAH #1

raw NM = 8 out of 10 ( too cheap )

CGC 9.8 = 8 out 10 ( one sold for $36 this year )

B5EA4AED-3380-4169-9168-D77EEC913D79.jpeg

3B4B1000-FD46-4F61-ADD4-8AD892BA29D9.jpeg

Don’t forget that TAH 1 is the first appearance of Amadeus as Hulk, not just civilian Amadeus.

1 hour ago, Key Largo Comics said:

What an awesome thread. Thanks for starting it! Picking up a lot of good ideas here.

One small item that you may want to correct: For the Jessica Cruz spec, her 2nd Cameo and 1st Full are actually Justice League Vol. 2 #30 and #31 (not Green Lantern).

Used your quote in the post. Thanks 👍