• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

How are you figuring your ratings? Is that sort of a percentage likeliness to increase in value? Or anticipated return? Or some combination thereof? I like evaluating the risk and reward separately. Ultimate Fallout 4 seems like a no-brainer to increase, but, for the sake of argument, if I had $1000 to invest, I think I might be able to do better in the long run by spending that on a number of books which are bigger risks but have the chance of a much bigger return if they hit. Decreasing risk by spreading that around should still have good results.

I’m taking an educated guess at the most likely books to increase in value. I see UF #4 the same way many people view Batman Adventures #12 or New Mutants #98. I was strongly suggesting it as a good buy at $10 and $20 and I’m suggesting it’s still a good buy. Far from its peak and already proven. 

The ratings are a mix of risk, reward, and my gut. If a book is super cheap like say Totally Awesome Hulk, I’ll give it a little better rating than a book that may be more expensive and even more of a sure bet because of the low buy in. 

If you feel it warrants a different rating, add your 2 cents. These are strictly my opinions. 👍

I also sit on books a long while unless it’s somet new that I bought a ton of or something super hot that I perceive as a short term winner. 

Edited by the authority

21 minutes ago, Pittsburgh said:

Favorite thread ever!  Great suggestions, thank you!

Origin for Amadeus Cho in Incredible Hercules 133.  I need to get some of AF15 and TAH 1.

(I was on the other CGC forum as 21Pittsburgh58)

@21Pittsburgh58..... pm @dena

She can get you into your old account :foryou:

On 4/28/2019 at 4:02 PM, the authority said:

Ahhh, here is another great one. Saga #1. BKV isn’t done with this one but I believe this is his most remarkable book, and that’s saying something.

Saga fans are rabid, loyal, and put their money where there mouth is. This is one of Image’s all time great stories and will always be big regardless of movie/TV talk. Not buying earlier and more is a regret of mine. 

My Saga = 1 NM 

ratings

Raw NM = 9 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 9 out of 10

this is a book that has a variant RRP that I would call a 10 out of 10. Demand far outweighs supply.

E5A253B0-45A6-432B-B53D-5BFC441AE389.jpeg

....Not a "variant", it is a reprint (third printing), and it is not an "RRP" either.

Great, informative list otherwise though.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

A short break allows me to add another one. This isn’t a big dollar book. It’s probably cheaper now than it was shortly after it came out. Amazing Spider-Man #30/471. It has the 1st appearances of Ezekiel and Morlun. Morlun could be a major player but no guarantee. It is also the first time I remember J Scott Campbell doing Spidey. Based on all of the popular Spider-Man covers he’s done. That’s kind of a big deal.

This book can be had for maybe $7-10 in nice condition. It’s one of those longshots I spoke of in the beginning of the thread. It’s a cool cover at the very least.

I own 4 NM copies

rating 

raw NM = 4 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 4 out of 10

37419167-9133-4185-96A6-BA7CE39F8B10.jpeg

Here comes a good one. Bloodstone #1. The 1st appearance of Elsa Bloodstone. I keep hearing about her potentially showing up in movies etc.. I don’t know if that’ll happen or not but I do recognize that character has been popular for a while amongst collectors. It’s a cool cover cover to boot.

I own 2 NM and 2 CGC 9.8 copies. I’ve had a couple that didn’t hit 9.8 on prescreen and sold them. Then decided to jump back in 😝 

rating 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

FBE1B085-ADE1-406A-A64A-C5719A13D71C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

....Not a "variant", it is a reprint (third printing), and it is not an "RRP" either.

-J.

Wait what? There is a variant of Saga 1 literally labeled “Retailer Incentive Edition”

What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, GLCBrad said:

Wait what? There is a variant of Saga 1 literally labeled “Retailer Incentive Edition”

What am I missing?

It is not a "variant" of the first printing in the least.  It is a third printing, as indicated by the UPC on the back.  CGC labels it a "Retailer Incentive Edition", which is in fact not the same as an actual "RRP" (which label only applies to a handful of DC variants). It is a DRS (Diamond Retailer Summit) book, commissioned by Diamond (similar to how stores commission a store variant) and was mailed out to those who attended the Diamond summit from that year.  

Here is the description of the book from Diamond's website:

https://summits.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/54/787?articleID=118463

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

It is not a "variant" of the first printing in the least.  It is a third printing, as indicated by the UPC on the back.  CGC labels it a "Retailer Incentive Edition", which is in fact not the same as an actual "RRP" (which label only applies to a handful of DC variants). It is a DRS (Diamond Retailer Summit) book, commissioned by Diamond (similar to how stores commission a store variant) and was mailed out to those who attended the Diamond summit from that year.  

Here is the description of the book from Diamond's website:

https://summits.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/54/787?articleID=118463

-J.

Well I’ll be snookered 

Thorough response, thanks

Here’s a threesome. Ultimate Spider-man #1, Ultimate X-men #1, and The Ultimates # 1. These books couldn’t be more different but make for a good comparison.

USM #1 was something unlike any book we’d seen in quite a while. It wasn’t necessarily a new story but it was a new way to tell an old story. When it hit the shelves, I bought it like crazy...and I wasn’t alone. It was hot. It was fun. It had a cover that felt more like a baseball card than a comic book and that cover got tics easier than any book I can recall. This was the year 2000 and if I recall correctly, the book was selling for as much or more than it is now in the first year or so. 

I loved this book though I can tell you, not everyone felt the same. The purists hated it and I can understand why. Still, it was the first big spec book of the 21st Century. As I was thinking of starting this thread, it came to that other than some old Bronze and Silver books I’d sold, this was a book I really wanted back in my collection. Peter Parker was fun and introduced to a whole new group of collectors.

Ultimate X-men #1 was not the same. It was a pretty different take than the original Uncanny guys but it did bring a lot of favorites back together. It too was a hot seller at LCS and on eBay and again, most of us eBay sellers bought a ton. Still, it never had the excitement of the original series and suffered for it in my opinion.

The Ultimates #1 was a Mark Miller written story. In fact, it involved a couple of creators  from The Authority vol. 1. It never felt as good as The Authority to me but it did seem a step up from the X-men. All of these books were excellent secondary market sellers but USM #1 ruled the roost. 

I see Ultimate Spider-Man as historically significant. It was the 1st in a completely new line and universe.

The Ultimates are important but for a completely different reason. This is where Marvel Comics met widescreen presentation. It also seems like a design concept for more than a few people and even attitudes of those characters that we now see in the Avengers movies. 

There may may never be demand for these series but nostalgia is a funny thing. I think 2 of them will grow more popular again while the 3rd has an outside chance. 

I have 0 USM #1 but will correct that problem this year. I have at least 5 UXM #1 in NM and more than 10 Ultimates in NM to NM+. 

Ratings

USM #1

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

UXM #1

raw NM = 3 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

Ultimates #1

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

796A7535-BCFD-4781-9B0E-2F26B9BECFD7.jpeg

B1DFD76F-22D9-4644-A603-937FBBAB4CCC.jpeg

6AD345D4-DAC9-4F7B-B142-68DA1431FA12.jpeg

5 hours ago, Pittsburgh said:

Favorite thread ever!  Great suggestions, thank you!

Origin for Amadeus Cho in Incredible Hercules 133.  I need to get some of AF15 and TAH 1.

(I was on the other CGC forum as 21Pittsburgh58)

Longtime no see. Glad to see you back on the boards. Here is a picture of the cover to Incredible Hercules #133. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that this book existed. 👍

F55CA4EA-C80B-4D77-A059-813B3076C5F2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Made the changes to be more accurate in the description in my original post. Thanks for the help. 👍

Next up, a Grant Morrison entry, an there will be several of those. New X-men #114. This is a book I really couldn’t stand the day it came out. I loved the X-men and Morrison’s writing but what the heck was this ? X-men was one of my favorite books as a kid because it had vibrant colors and diversity. These new X-men had a singular style and look.

What can I say ? It grew on me. In fact, this was an exceptionally well written book and the series became a personal all time favorite. That isn’t why the book is here though. The reason I put it on the list is because the look these X-men had became the look of the X-men in the movies. The casting for the movies was mostly outstanding to boot. 

So I think this will always be at least a semi-important piece of Marvel history. Then there is the Frank Quitely Art. He is a love/hate artist but those of us who love him will pay a little extra for his work.

This book has been as cheap as $1 to $3. Seems too cheap to me.  I have 5 copies in NM to NM+. I look for this in $1 to $2 bins. 

Rating

Raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

154DDF41-E8FC-4EA0-BD28-3E8FFB728862.jpeg

Next is Venom #3 which is regularly sold as the 1st appearance of Knull. Thor God of Thunder #6 is also being touted as the Symbiote god’s 1st appearance. So tread with caution. Still, this book has been hot since day one and shows no signs of letting up long term. 

The book is written by Donny Cates. Get used to that name, you’re apt to be hearing him brought up a lot. Cates fans ( I’m one of them ) wholeheartedly support him and his books. This one is no different. He is a very good writer and may move into being an all time great. Far too early to say for certain but the potential is there for it. 

Venom is special too and nearly all things Venom have potential to explode in popularity. 

I own 3 copies in what I’m hoping to someday be CGC 9.8s. I’ll let you know when I find out.

rating 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

C9C69F3B-C2DE-44D8-89A9-6B1CD7D8B6FD.jpeg