• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, the authority said:

A short break allows me to add another one. This isn’t a big dollar book. It’s probably cheaper now than it was shortly after it came out. Amazing Spider-Man #30/471. It has the 1st appearances of Ezekiel and Morlun. Morlun could be a major player but no guarantee. It is also the first time I remember J Scott Campbell doing Spidey. Based on all of the popular Spider-Man covers he’s done. That’s kind of a big deal.

This book can be had for maybe $7-10 in nice condition. It’s one of those longshots I spoke of in the beginning of the thread. It’s a cool cover at the very least.

I own 4 NM copies

rating 

raw NM = 4 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 4 out of 10

37419167-9133-4185-96A6-BA7CE39F8B10.jpeg

This particular example is a newsstand variant. A little aside to this fun thread - the newsstands, especially on the later books, will have significant additional upside potential. ^^

Edited by FlyingDonut

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

This particular example is a newsstand variant. A little aside to this fun thread - the newsstands, especially on the later books, will have significant upside potential. ^^

Completely agree with you. The demand is rising for newsstand copies. It’s amazing that no matter how long we’ve been collecting, there is always something new for us to learn. Thanks for sharing 👍

Good morning ! The next book is a personal favorite. It’s Fables #1. Bill Willingham outdid himself with this book.  What happens when you make Snow White, the Big Bad Wolf, little Red Riding Hood, and Jack of fables real people and not just fairy tale heroes and villains ? You get a suspense filled, exciting, and super well written series.

This book was heading into legendary status as there was talk of a TV show. Then a show called Once Upon a Time came out. Minor changes were made and the heat turned cold.

The series, while not quite on the level of Sandman, wasn’t too far off that series when it comes to creativity. Issue #1 and the series will always have a following but I’m not sure what it would take to have a resurgence. That said, the quality is so high, there is a chance that it could blow up in a big way. Read it and I think you’ll agree. 

I own 1 NM copy. 

Rating

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

BC261DCA-FD70-4B6C-B464-A3003FD484A7.jpeg

Okay, my first entry here. I'm going to focus on upsides and downsides, since I imagine there are camps of speculators that have different risk tolerances, and it helps to know if a certain book is right for your investment strategy.

Rivers of London: Body Work #1. Titan Comics 2015. First comic based on the book series by Ben Aaronovitch. 

Upsides: First appearance of Peter Grant, Beverly Brook, and Thomas Nightingale in comics. Announced just yesterday that there is a television show being developed by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. (I've read the books, and they're great, and I think these are the right guys to bring it to life on-screen.) Print run is probably tiny, based on the book not showing up in the Comichron listings for the months they were released. 

Downside: Comic based on a book series, so while this is the first appearance of these characters in comics, they first appeared elsewhere in novels. Comic will probably only take off if the television series does well.

Other info: The writer of the novels is also writing the comics, and they all take place in continuity, so it's not like this is just a licensed comic that's tangential to the series of novels. Titan Comics in my experience usually have issues with corners and spines, so 9.4 and up of this book should do very well if the television series is a hit. There's an A cover (shown here) a 1:10 incentive cover, and I believe one retailer variant. Note that there are multiple mini-series, so there are a bunch of #1 issues. Body Work is the first of them.

Forgot to add disclosure: My haul: 1 of the CGC 9.8s of the A cover, another copy or two ungraded, and 5 of the incentives. Only buying more if I find them for cover or less, or high grade up to about $10.

2830814.jpg

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps
disclosing what I own

Moving along, let’s talk X-Man #15 and X-men #53. The 1st appearance and 1st full appearance of Onslaught. I keep reading discussions about who might be the next big Marvel villain. This one may be a longshot but a very powerful one. Combine the consciousness of Professor X with that of Magneto and BAM ! Hello hero problems. Lol

There May be some debate over the better book. They’re cheap enough to buy both and still be fine in my opinion. 

I own 1 X-man #15 and 3 X-men #53 in the NM range. 

Ratings

both books 

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

81CF1A25-070B-462D-B6C8-7AB3CA039AD4.jpeg

5EBC28F0-78FE-452B-AC4E-0CB07DC12828.jpeg

On 4/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, the authority said:

Next is a the highest rated book on my list. It’s not cheap but I believe it has a loooong way to go. Ultimate Fallout #4, the 1st appearance of Miles Morales. Already hit the big screen as an animated feature and it’s only a matter of time until he’s live action. Sure fire, blue chip, must have modern. I believe he’ll end up being more important than Deadpool, Harley, and X-23 in the long run. This is the book to have in the modern age and the one that is a tough book to get in 9.8 relative to the number available. 

My take

14 total ( had 24 ) and now not selling. 

Sent 14 to CGC in 9.6 prescreen after a press. 3 came back 9.8 and 3 9.6. 8 missed the cut.

rating 

raw NM = 10 out of 10. Most will not be 9.4 or better. Most won’t cut 9.6 with a very experienced presser. 

CGC 9.8 = 10 out of 10

B952D242-E937-4861-BB6C-976784DA93D1.jpeg

Adding to the newsstand discussion, this particular book having an expensive 1:25 variant that seems EASIER to find than the newsstand makes for an interesting spec on the newsstand, specifically.

Ultimate-Fallout-4-NEWSSTAND_c.jpg

Next up, Thanos #13. The 1st appearance of Cosmic Ghost Rider. So I was originally a doubter. I was buying Thanos in a run and really enjoyed it. I liked this book but thought it more flash in the pan than a long term book. I was wrong and the price it’s reaching tells me so.

Donny Cates seems like a can’t miss writer. God Country, Venom, and this one have all held strong and consistent value. I’m sold on potential long term buys but I see slow grow on these unless we get some kind of movie news. I’d suspect that would well down the road if at all.Either way, the comic has a following and so does the writer.

I have zero copies. Sold mine way too early. 

Rating 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

EB34221B-EC4F-49DD-9F04-F9C7C40CEC1D.jpeg

Next we have a few Captain America books. First up, Captain America #6. The 1st appearance of the Winter Soldier. To me, other than Spider-Gwen, this is the best use of a long gone character. He’s cool and man what a history he and Cap where with each other. This is a strong buy for me. As much as I like it, it will always lag behind the variant cover featuring the Winter Soldier. 

I have zero copies of this cover and 1 of the Winter Soldier variant in NM-. Sold my other copies and I’d like to rebuild that small collection. 

Rating

raw NM = 7 of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

03874756-BB15-4B2E-90E5-1EECF849DE86.jpeg

Next we have Captain America #14. This features the Winter Soldier’s origin. Not quite as important as his 1st appearance but not too shabby either. Expect steady, if unspectacular,  growth.

I have 1 NM copy

Ratings

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

694C06F9-E462-40EE-9DDD-62CF401B82F1.jpeg

One more Cap book for now. Captain America #34. This is the 1st appearance of Bucky as Captain America. Another intriguing replacement character filling the shoes of our WWII hero. This one has a cheap buy and great covers. I’m not sure which was the variant, and there are others, so I’m presenting both of them. 

I have a lot of all covers. Most in the NM to NM+ range. 

Ratings of both covers are

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

1B29BE75-B8A2-4E7F-8554-0EDF1806B577.jpeg

07FECC64-5728-4340-BFCC-13C0159EBFCA.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Now for something fun. Spider-Man Deadpool #1. Talk about a totally underrated book, this one is it. These 2 characters are hilarious by themselves and completely out of context together. Some people may not see the value here but to me, it’s a no brained. Take 2 enormously popular characters and have them share the lead in book and this is what you get. 

When books are struggling in sales, Marvel just starts over and renumbers  them. None of that here. This book is roughly 50 issues deep and just had a hot issue hit the stands. Love it.

The last magazines that made me this happy were Todd The Ugliest Kid on Earth ( which would cost a fortune if it were a Marvel book ) and Twisted Toyfare Theatre. Excellent reading material. 

I own around 10 copies of #1 primary cover and a lot of variants. Most around NM though I have pulled and sold a couple of CGC 9.8s.

ratings

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

0EC06E41-D82A-4866-8172-59E89FF3106C.jpeg

I don’t think we’ve touched a Dark horse book yet so Black Hammer #1 will be the 1st from that stable. 

Let me start with the fact that Jeff Lemire gets me. Don’t know what it is but I love his writing. The art on this comic perfectly catches the mood of the words. I won’t call it perfect but it’s pretty close to it. Old school storytelling is a lost art. 

The market isn’t saturated with copies of this one either. Finally, Dark Horse is hit and miss with me but when they hit, they hit it big.  Sin City, Hellboy, and the like are great reads. This book holds it’s own in comparison. 

I own 2 of each cover to #1 though I prefer the A cover. 

Ratings

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

BA82D7E4-9C25-448A-ACDC-6B854DD7197B.jpeg

Edited by the authority

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Adding to the newsstand discussion, this particular book having an expensive 1:25 variant that seems EASIER to find than the newsstand makes for an interesting spec on the newsstand, specifically.

Ultimate-Fallout-4-NEWSSTAND_c.jpg

I sold a newsstand recently to see what the market was like and instantly regretted it 

* Edited to correct the mistake of 1st costume.* Next up, Captain Marvel #14 and #17. These are the 1st appearances in civilian form and first the Ms Marvel emblem of Kamala Khan. Isssue #14 has bothers me personally ever so slightly because of the way it was later revealed that “hey, this is Kamala Khan, but you’ll never know unless someone ask the writer about it..” thing. Still, that’s what they stated it so that’s how it is, just always struck me as both odd and convenient. Issue #17 is the other end of the spectrum. She appears in costume and its obvious that this is her. To me, this is her most undervalued book. 

I understand that issue #14 is her first appearance. I just think it probably will have slower longterm growth than #17. My ratings on these too definitely reflect the difference in current prices realized. I  believe both books are worth owning but variants and 2nd prints will hold down their prices somewhat. This is why the Point One issue shines.

I have 1 of each in NM. I’ve sold a TON of these including more than a couple on #17 2nd print...way too cheap. 

Rating 

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

D66E7BC7-4CFF-4C21-9851-1869A579F8B0.jpeg

4B078B95-825A-434C-BE55-EB21AC65B853.jpeg

Edited by the authority