• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

Next up The Sentey #1. The 1st appearance of the legendary hero from the 1960s that never really existed back then. The Artie Rosen book that...well, you get the idea. 

The Sentry reminds me of a What if ? You mixed a Miracleman comic and a Superman comic with the movie Fight Club. It came out around the time that Ultimate Spider-Man did if I recall correctly. It had Jae Lee ( a guy who’s Art I love ) art and was really well written. I see big things in the future for this character  because he is so perfectly not perfect. 

The SDCC edition is the one to have but all covers are going to be just fine. 

I own 1 NM+ copy of this book. 

Rating 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

B77BC81F-C6E9-4688-B8BB-C5B039FACC12.jpeg

A lot of collectors complain about the 90s and for good reason to a degree. The 90s, like every other decade, had it’s bright spots. Take for example JLA #1 and JSA #1. The books were the beginnings of 2 of the best series I’ve had the please of reading. I first started reading and collecting in the 70s. I mostly bought my books from corner stars and later, the LCS. 

Justice League of America and All Star Comics featured stories that were bigger than life to me as a kid. So when they brought them back...not just brought them back but made them better than ever, I was in heaven as a young adult. Robinson and Johns on JSA and Morrison and Waid on JLA were absolutely amazing. From white martians, to angels, to a who’s who of villains, to Prometheus ( loved him ), to Ras Al Gil. JLA was rocking. JSA was just as well written and brought back heroes I didn’t even realize I was missing. These were my top of the pile reads. So, I don’t really understand why they’re cheaper now than 20 years ago. These are worth buying...in bunches. At some point, people will go back and want these in their collections. 

I own at least 10 copies of each and 2 CGC 9.8 of JLA  #1 and 1 CGC of JSA #1. 

Ratings

JLA #1 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

JSA #1

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

CBB84066-09C5-4009-814B-3382CBFA8631.jpeg

394B6455-441A-4DD9-97B9-9DAAE6F3AEC2.jpeg

Next is Y the Last Man #1. Brian K Vaughn...BKV...greatness. I remember buying this book new. Wednesday is my day off so I went home and read it. Drove back to the LCS and bought some more of them. It grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. Great comics do that and this is that. The only concerns I have are that the series ended quite some time ago, it isn’t cheap, and there have been many talks about a TV show but still no TV show. I’ve patiently waited for this book to drop in price and never seems to do it. What to do. Probably going to keep going up and I’m probably going to cuss myself every time it does. 😆 

I own zero copies. I want 100 and I’ve sold lots of them. 

Rating

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

35943860-19DF-4731-9D55-F53659F26076.jpeg

On 4/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, the authority said:

Rai #0

Kept it simple. Like they did with the cover. Valiant fans have the most voracious appetite and loyalty to and for their characters and books.

Between the picture on the cover, Valiant movie news, and Bloodshot being involved, this book has it all. Oh, did I mention that there are both matte and glossy versions of this book ? No ? Well there are. 😝 

While this is far from the most expensive book in the Valiant U, it is potentially the most recognized and bankable book of the bunch. We all want to own it and if your old enough, you’ll remember it being a wall book in the 90s. 

I own 

2 raw NM, NM- glossy and matte

1 matte CGC 9.8

rating

raw NM 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10 though I’d give a glossy a bump to 9 out of 10

30C1D484-ACE7-480A-BF7F-AD5CC8E20F34.jpeg

Yeah, this had a huge bump about a month ago...No doubt it will bump again as we get closer to the movie.  Iconic cover.

14 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Thank you for this thread.  Definitely balances out the dumpster fire that was "to slab or not to slab" thread.  I was starting to lose faith in this forum from all the trolls.  This is such a great conversation, and I'm really enjoying it. 

You’re welcome and thank you. I love the people on this board. Even the ones who I’ve argued with from time to time. 😆 

Reminds me of family. If you spend enough time together, there is going to be trouble every once in a while but in the end, we mostly help each other out and share war stories. Haha

Edited by the authority

Alrighty then, how about Batman #608 ? This is Jim Lee’s first Batman ( to the best of my knowledge ) and the beginning of the Hush storyline. 

There are many Batman artists that I collect and love their work. Adams, Aparro, Breyfogle, Miller, Capullo, and the list is mighty long. Jim Lee draws a very mean Batman. He looks like a guy that villains would fear. Sleek and powerful. I’m very high on this book. It’s a big deal.

I own a VF and 2 NM copies along with a good number of duplicates in the entire run. 

Rating 

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 9 out of 10

2454398F-5569-411F-A668-FBD735F1B263.jpeg

Edited by the authority

...and now, Batman #612. While #608 gets us a Batman with realistic looking soles on his boots, #612 treats us with Lee’s 1st angry Boy Scout. 😝 

“...you don’t tug on Superman’s cape...you don’t spit into the wind...you don’t pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger, and you do t mess around with Jim” ...Lee that is hahaha

Back to the book. Batman looks absolutely helpless on this cover. It humanizes him. Lee makes absurdly strong looking characters but they are iconic images. This is one of the most memorable Superman covers ever.

I’m high in this book too but looking through my collection, I can’t find any. Oh well, one more book to chase. 

Rating 

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

DFE54376-B71C-453E-AF7C-85197EE77A91.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Next up is a twofer, as is 2 for your collection. Amazing Spider-Man #430 and #431 featuring Cosmic Carnage. I don’t remember if this book was hot right off the bat but I do remember thinking that the Silver Surfer was so overpowered compared to ASM and Carbage, that the cover didn’t make sense to me. Boy was I wrong. As you’ll see, me being wrong happens a lot and is an ongoing theme 😝 

Anyway, I sold my copies WAY too early and I’ve never gone back to repurchase them. I always hold out hope that I’ll find them cheap... somewhere. I never do. 

I like both books. I love the covers.  I’m not sure if they’ve plateaued or if they’re a long way from done. 

I have zero copies of either book. 

Ratings for both

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

BD11EF74-129A-45A7-A96A-BD54A9B5EF3A.jpeg

BAF1F0A2-A2FA-48A4-9003-203ED67DACD9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, this had a huge bump about a month ago...No doubt it will bump again as we get closer to the movie.  Iconic cover.

When the first Bloodshot trailer hits, Rai #0 and Eternal Warrior #4 should both pop. I imagine we'll even see sales of Bloodshot #1, despite there being close to a million copies of it out there.

Any reason why variants have been excluded from the discussion?  I briefly scanned the thread and saw a number of books that have variant covers which are super desirable.  I appreciate that some of the variants are much more expensive and/or have already taken off.  I wasn’t sure if this was an intentional move by the OPs.  Thoughts? Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, the authority said:

Yeah, I’d mentioned early on that I’d like this thread to exclude variants. I’ve mentioned them throughout but don’t want them to be the focus. I think that would make for an excellent subject in its own thread. 👍

You made the right choice - variants suck.

Another threesome. The Walking Dead #132, #138, and #154. These are the 1st Alpha appearances, with and without mask, and the 1st appearance of Beta.

These books were heavily bought and probably hoarded. Doesn’t change the fact that they are historically important and very desirable. 

I know many of us here love this story. They torture us for 190 issues and we keep begging for more. In my mind there have been 4, maybe 5, major obstacles and villains. The walkers, the Governor, Negan, and the Whisperers are at the top of my scary list.

The walkers are what they are, more of a force of nature than anything else. The Governor was a nut job. Very scary. Negan is a maniac but he uses his brain as much as he uses force. He isn’t nuts...well, not by The Walking Dead standards. The Whisperers are led by Alpha and her #2 is Beta. She has a meanness about her. She seems to have little to no empathy and she is decisive. If she says it, she means it. Beta is a giant of a man who is loyal to a fault to Alpha. He’s a great fighter and good leader himself. Cross them and find your head on a stick. 

I understand why the Governor’s and Negan’s 1st appearances are more valuable that this one. Especially Negan due to his longevity. I believe when people go back and read this entire story, Alpha and Beta will become more valued as great characters and therefore  increase the value of their 1st appearances. Then again, I keep buying so I’m biased. What do you guys think ?

I have lots ( at least 10 ) of each of these issues. I own 2 each in CGC 9.8.

ratings

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

53C391BA-3702-45C3-9489-CFC614A08119.jpeg

02F9B2AC-1B86-4684-A3CA-E068EDD61793.jpeg

ACE7695B-E2AC-43AC-A0E3-A9381EAB6D7C.jpeg

How about a powerhouse or two ? Avengers #684 and Immortal Hulk #2. These books are relatively new on the scene but wow is it bringing the buzz. Amazingly, it isn’t a Donny Cates story. 😝 

I was late to the party on this one but there is precedent for different Hulk personalities and power levels having value. I’m enjoying reading this story but Peter David is my guy when it comes to Hulk. 

Dr. Frye’s 1st appearance is hugely well received to this point. He may end up being a nobody or he could be the Hulk’s Venom. Fans seem to love him and fans buy and collects comics.

Unfortunately, I own zero copies of either book. 

Rating 

Avengers #684

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

Immortal Hulk #2

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

9E9B143E-D9E3-47AE-9D25-77CE872AFAB5.jpeg

7DB37073-3CAB-4B56-876A-DBF956AEDE2F.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Next up is Deadpool, Merc With A Mouth #7. This is the 1st appearance of Lady Deadpool. I think this has solid potential due to the success of Spider-Gwen. If Gwen wasn’t a well received character on the big screen, maybe we’d see Gwenpool at some point but how much Gwen is too much Gwen ? This is still cheap enough to buy and take a shot. It isn’t likely to lose value as its popular among Deadpool fans. 

I have 1 VF copy. Sold 2 CGC 9.8 and now wish I’d kept one for the PC.

rating

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

790546E9-F295-4E1B-994B-13B759CE7BE6.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Next we have Astro City #1. Wow, wow, wow. The Watchmen would probably be the first group that wasn’t the JLA, Avengers, Defenders, or JSA that I looked at seriously, as if of course they belong in this big beautiful family of comicdom. Astro City was the next book that kind of hit me that way. Great stories and Alex Ross covers. There really wasn’t a group book I liked as well the first year this was out. I believe Rising Stars came later and I felt it was on the same level. 

Back to this issue. A sure bet in my opinion. Especially raw in high grade. There is a lot of room between raw and 9.8. Highly suggest buying these if you find them in great condition.

I own 1 CGC 9.8 and 1 CGC 9.6. Many more in VF/NM. 

Rating 

raw 9.4 = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

A79A345E-A1D3-41C3-8DD5-930E28148F78.jpeg

Edited by the authority