• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, the authority said:

@Hey Kids, Comics! recommended this book and @GLCBrad kept me from making a mistake on it. Batman #609, the 1st appearance of Hush. I’d have to agree that this is a great and a little overlooked spec book. Then throw in another fantastic Jim Lee cover and you have an wven bigger winner. 

Looks like a steady $15 to $20 NM book on eBay. A CGC 9.8 looks to run around the $110 to $120 range. Still plenty of meat on the bone in my opinion. 

I own at least 1 copy of the book. All of my books from this age are VF/NM to NM+. 

Rating 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10 maybe a little higher. Not my spec but I do like it a lot. 

4A169927-4CFF-4D7A-9726-1D05AD5BC6E8.jpeg

I actually recommended 619. 609 is the first Thomas Elliott (who becomes Hush), but 619 is the first Hush. 

@Hey Kids, Comics! recommended Batman #619. The 1st appearance of Thomas Elliott as Hush. At $4-$5 a pop, this is very cheap spec and the last issue of the Hush storyline. Can’t go wrong here in my opinion. The variant is a nice addition too. 

I have a 1 NM copy. 

Raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

07F2305D-7CAC-42DF-81E0-13E73300A42B.jpeg

9 hours ago, the authority said:

Next up JLA #40 and #41 featuring the 1st and 1st full appearance of Grail. She is Darkeseid’s daughter and a well designed character to boot.  Half New God and half Amazon. She is immensely powerful in almost every way plus it seems she can fire off Omega beams. In other words, she is one super scary villain. Perfect addition to an upcoming movie in my opinion. The aretwork is outstanding for her entire run. 

I like both books but #40 was the winner out of the gate. Now it seems people are actively seeking both books and the price they will pay has narrowed in difference. The incentive cover to #40is gorgeous but it’s price does not seem to reflect its rarity yet. 

I own 2 CGC 9.8 of #40 plus 1 NM+ raw. I also own 3 NM+ raw of #41 and 3 of each of this run up to #50. 

Ratings

#40 and 41

Raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

9B2D37B0-C376-4A5F-A910-70D16D4CB121.jpeg

02B6474F-BF34-4E12-8B34-4400E9D20065.jpeg

JL Darkseid War was a great read.

12 hours ago, the authority said:

Next up JLA #40 and #41 featuring the 1st and 1st full appearance of Grail. She is Darkeseid’s daughter and a well designed character to boot.  Half New God and half Amazon. She is immensely powerful in almost every way plus it seems she can fire off Omega beams. In other words, she is one super scary villain. Perfect addition to an upcoming movie in my opinion. The aretwork is outstanding for her entire run. 

I like both books but #40 was the winner out of the gate. Now it seems people are actively seeking both books and the price they will pay has narrowed in difference. The incentive cover to #40is gorgeous but it’s price does not seem to reflect its rarity yet. 

I own 2 CGC 9.8 of #40 plus 1 NM+ raw. I also own 3 NM+ raw of #41 and 3 of each of this run up to #50. 

Ratings

#40 and 41

Raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

9B2D37B0-C376-4A5F-A910-70D16D4CB121.jpeg

02B6474F-BF34-4E12-8B34-4400E9D20065.jpeg

According to CGC, first full appearance and origin of Grail is Divergence FCBD 1.

7 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

According to CGC, first full appearance and origin of Grail is Divergence FCBD 1.

Okay, I’ll correct that and list the Divergence book tonight. Thanks 🙏 

2 hours ago, johnenock said:

I just reread the old Great Darkness Saga from the copper age and the Darkseid War a few weeks ago. Great stuff! Been waiting for Grail to pop, but I have yet to see much action and have not seen her in any comics since her initial appearance.

Legion of Super Heroes and Teen Titans, best DC reading material of the early 80s.

For this book, all that matters is what’s on the top right of the slab.

It’s not an important enough book for people to care enough to change the label. It ain’t exactly Incredible Hulk 180/181

0D828C09-9F76-4F1F-BC9D-7EF5D70C67CC.png

5 minutes ago, GLCBrad said:

For this book, all that matters is what’s on the top right of the slab.

It’s not an important enough book for people to care enough to change the label. It ain’t exactly Incredible Hulk 180/181

No, the CGC label doesn't matter, even though that one is correct.

12 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Batman 609 vs Batman 618 vs Batman 619 (the entire book)

How can you argue (in favor of a later book) against a book being a first appearance while showing an appearance from that book? You also left out the rooftop panel in 609.

25 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

How can you argue (in favor of a later book) against a book being a first appearance while showing an appearance from that book? You also left out the rooftop panel in 609.

Because I generally hate shadows, arms, and other non-appearance first appearances. Same reason I'm fighting the uphill battle of 655 vs 656.