• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's not a ton of concrete information on newsstands at this point, but a high-level description is available (appropriately) at Newsstand101.com :foryou:

Lets try to fill this site out with real - unlike the Benjamin Nobel/Chuck Rosanski - information. It will be hard, but no one should give concrete percentages and numbers because no one knows.

32 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Lets try to fill this site out with real - unlike the Benjamin Nobel/Chuck Rosanski - information. It will be hard, but no one should give concrete percentages and numbers because no one knows.

What a fun website that would be:

Hyperlink reads: Amazing Spider-man newsstand print run 2011

Spoiler

NO ONE KNOWS!!!

Amazing Spider-man newsstand print run 2012

Spoiler

THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED!  NO ONE KNOWS!!

:D

14 minutes ago, bababooey said:

What a fun website that would be:

Hyperlink reads: Amazing Spider-man newsstand print run 2011

Hide contents

NO ONE KNOWS!!!

Amazing Spider-man newsstand print run 2012

Hide contents

THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED!  NO ONE KNOWS!!

:D

But that's the whole point! People are putting out information that is based on nothing as gospel. What would be good - just as an example - would be to have some concrete data on things. Instead of the Nobel/Rozanski wildly_fanciful_statement about - again, just as an example - the print run of Spawn 1 being 10% newsstand blah blah blah, maybe have a year's worth of sales data from eBay on Spawn 1. It would be extremely flawed and could be manipulated data, but it would be data, as opposed to wildly_fanciful_statement statements that are just thrown out there by people with an agenda.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

But that's the whole point! People are putting out information that is based on nothing as gospel. What would be good - just as an example - would be to have some concrete data on things. Instead of the Nobel/Rozanski wildly_fanciful_statement about - again, just as an example - the print run of Spawn 1 being 10% newsstand blah blah blah, maybe have a year's worth of sales data from eBay on Spawn 1. It would be extremely flawed and could be manipulated data, but it would be data, as opposed to wildly_fanciful_statement statements that are just thrown out there by people with an agenda.

Good luck, here's the last time I tried to play with available data...  I'd suggest moving any discussion to that thread rather than screw this one up.

I'm not sure if there is a true need for concrete information regarding print runs or distribution numbers.  Those are for people who like to spice up their listings.  Gold/Silver/Bronze ages do extremely well without this information being at everyone's fingertips. 

All I know is that, what is deemed as modern, newsstands are much harder to find than Direct Editions especially in higher grades.  As with anything, they are not for everyone (ugly barcode - yuck).  My favorite part about them is that because they are the ORIGINAL way that comic books were sold (pre-direct), they cannot be considered variants, 'manufactured' rarities or 'limited editions'.  Newsstand editions were never created to be their own niche in the market, they just happen to be becoming so.  I believe what is happening with newsstands can be considered organic growth.

(I could also be wrong).

GO NEWSIES!

2 hours ago, Pittsburgh said:

I'm not sure if there is a true need for concrete information regarding print runs or distribution numbers.  Those are for people who like to spice up their listings.  Gold/Silver/Bronze ages do extremely well without this information being at everyone's fingertips. 

All I know is that, what is deemed as modern, newsstands are much harder to find than Direct Editions especially in higher grades.  As with anything, they are not for everyone (ugly barcode - yuck).  My favorite part about them is that because they are the ORIGINAL way that comic books were sold (pre-direct), they cannot be considered variants, 'manufactured' rarities or 'limited editions'.  Newsstand editions were never created to be their own niche in the market, they just happen to be becoming so.  I believe what is happening with newsstands can be considered organic growth.

(I could also be wrong).

GO NEWSIES!

Except they weren't the *original* way they were sold. But they were the way they created just before the Direct market.

Next up is a big book that I whiffed on when it came out. Rick and Morty #1. This is our 1st entry from Oni Press.

I completely misjudged the popularity of the book. My thinking was that the Simpsons, which were pretty huge for a cartoon property, never really caught on with comic collectors. Not that they weren’t worth something but they aren’t super expensive to the best of my knowledge. 

I did okay with Futurama books but nothing  that was amazing.

Rick and Morty #1 on the other hand is comic gold. Everything associated with the property seems to do well.

I own 0 copies. Probably will never own one because if I have this kind of money to spend on a book, it is likely going to be a DC or Marvel superhero book. That said, I understand that this is smoeone’s big comic. Maybe the centerpiece of a collection for the right person.

rating 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

14DC2332-0DF2-4432-AE1E-BEF89D73AEBD.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Speaking of big TV show comics, next we have Batman Beyond #1. My kids love the TV show and so did I. This book is going to explode one day. That’s what my gut tells me. 

I own 1 VF copy and would like to go after NM copy. It’s a top 5 of so book in my upgrade want list. 

Rating

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

9864FB69-DD4B-48BA-A202-56EFCF1FE58D.jpeg

Howling Commandos of SHIELD #1

First appearance of Glyph. (Cue Korath meme.) Honestly, I had no clue who the character was until I googled this evening. But Marvel recently registered the trademark, pretty much at the same time as Helstorm, and we know that there's a Hulu show in the works for the latter. So there's a good chance they're going to use the character in other media. This is pretty much the epitome of speculation. High risk, but potentially high reward.

Rating

Raw NM: 5/10

CGC 9.8: 5/10

image.thumb.png.b66cf9eecdae94458b4fa94214fe3b6f.png

1 hour ago, The Brain said:

Is it possible to reflect the current market value for these books going forward???

It’s a good idea but I don’t have the time to list all of the sources I use. Gocollect, eBay, LCS, etc.. 

If someone wants to take the time, they’re more than welcome to input the data. 

Using just one source can give a skewed number. Take Rick and Morty #1 in CGC 9.6 as an example of why I use more than just eBay when I purchase a book.These are all prices realized on the same book this year. 

1EB959E7-1C64-4B92-9F3A-83C332B0A715.jpeg

45BD2F15-6D8C-4C12-9D47-F19727D27C71.jpeg

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Howling Commandos of SHIELD #1

First appearance of Glyph. (Cue Korath meme.) Honestly, I had no clue who the character was until I googled this evening. But Marvel recently registered the trademark, pretty much at the same time as Helstorm, and we know that there's a Hulu show in the works for the latter. So there's a good chance they're going to use the character in other media. This is pretty much the epitome of speculation. High risk, but potentially high reward.

Rating

Raw NM: 5/10

CGC 9.8: 5/10

image.thumb.png.b66cf9eecdae94458b4fa94214fe3b6f.png

The trademark info is nice to know. Good pickup. Cheap buy in makes it a lot less risky than most stuff. Love it. 

On 5/5/2019 at 6:18 PM, the authority said:

I agree with everything you said. Daredevil has been amazing many, many times. He has a who’s who of great writers. 👍

The real problem with Smith's DD run...which is SUPERB, as is Bendis' run after it...is that they printed the ever-lovin' beheck out of it.

Same with Green Arrow. The day GA #1 came out in 2002, my local store had a "limit of 1 per customer"...it wasn't necessary, as DC made a ton bunch.

15 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

A-son-of-a-biscuit-eating-goldfish-men.

14 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I tried, but it got a little overwhelming, and no one wanted to help. :cry:

9 hours ago, the authority said:

Speaking of big TV show comics, next we have Batman Beyond #1. My kids love the TV show and so did I. This book is going to explode one day. That’s what my gut tells me. 

I own 1 VF copy and would like to go after NM copy. It’s a top 5 of so book in my upgrade want list. 

Rating

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

9864FB69-DD4B-48BA-A202-56EFCF1FE58D.jpeg

Yes,  absolutely... plus there are a ton of versions of this... so people get confused about the first print