• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, the authority said:

It’s a good idea but I don’t have the time to list all of the sources I use. Gocollect, eBay, LCS, etc.. 

If someone wants to take the time, they’re more than welcome to input the data. 

Using just one source can give a skewed number. Take Rick and Morty #1 in CGC 9.6 as an example of why I use more than just eBay when I purchase a book.These are all prices realized on the same book this year. 

1EB959E7-1C64-4B92-9F3A-83C332B0A715.jpeg

45BD2F15-6D8C-4C12-9D47-F19727D27C71.jpeg

I thought that might be an issue, thanks.

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm saying that for decades comics didn't have barcodes. They didn't start adding them until shortly before the birth of the Direct Market.

Wasn't questioning your statement, but rather wondering if you could translate this sentence: "But they were the way they created just before the Direct market." into English.

:whistle:

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Wasn't questioning your statement, but rather wondering if you could translate this sentence: "But they were the way they created just before the Direct market." into English.

:whistle:

I think I changed how I was expressing that and didn't proofread. Should have come out "But they were created that way just before the Direct market."

Next we have 30 Days of Night #1. Created by Steve Niles and Ben Trmplesmith. They may have been on the map before this one but this is the first time I noticed either of them.

When the video game Doom came out, it was different than most. I don’t know if it was the sounds or the now terrible graphics but it was creepy. Same thing with this story. Such a great idea and seemingly obvious idea but this was the first time I’d seen someone use Alaska as a setting for vampires. A 30 day long night. Yikes !

A movie has already been made and I never saw it. The book was good enough to freak me out 😝 

I had a stack of these years ago. I now have zero. As I go through these, certain books stand out as “man, I should have saved one” type books. I bought multiples of a lot of comics to sell only to fall in love with the story.

Rating

raw NM = 4 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

972F1D47-DC98-4015-884A-23A74DE14953.jpeg

10 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes,  absolutely... plus there are a ton of versions of this... so people get confused about the first print

They get confused about first print or first series? Not following what you mean about versions. Isn't this the only March, 1999 Batman Beyond?

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

They get confused about first print or first series? Not following what you mean about versions. Isn't this the only March, 1999 Batman Beyond?

Well, there is a direct 1st, newsstand 1st, six flags version (stamped and unstamped), and a 3rd print too

23 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
On 5/6/2019 at 4:40 PM, Pittsburgh said:

they just happen to be becoming so

Not really. Certain parties hyping them with wild misinformation is the opposite of organic growth.

You are right. There are sellers that keep quoting the 1:100 ratio which is not correct.

However you cant deny the sales of books in high grade that are newsstands. Image titles in high grade and books from the late
90s all do very well in high grade. I have sold several.

Edited by fastballspecial

42 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Well, there is a direct 1st, newsstand 1st, six flags version (stamped and unstamped), and a 3rd print too

Okay, thank you. I did take a look at MCS and OPG before posting and couldn't find any of those (not counting newsstand, which shouldn't be too confusing).

Next up, Solar Man of the Atom #3 featuring the 1st appearance of Toyo  Harada, Valiant’s resident super bad guy. Others may see him differently but I view him as a cross between, Tony Stark in wealth, Jean Grey mixed with Professor X’s type of abilities, with a vision of the future  that is somewhere between Magneto and Thanos. Lol

I'm overdoing it a little bit you get the idea. If the Valiant U comes to the big screen, he makes the most since as the antagonist of the shows. 

I own 1 NM copy of this book. I feel like it’s a good idea to buy more of them.

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

C41F2AEB-4C41-4E2B-B6D9-3B15B5E190E5.jpeg

Edited by the authority

5 hours ago, the authority said:

Next up, Solar Man of the Atom #3 featuring the 1st appearance of Toyo  Harada, Valiant’s resident super bad guy. Others may see him differently but I view him as a cross between, Tony Stark in wealth, Jean Grey mixed with Professor X’s type of abilities, with a vision of the future  that is somewhere between Magneto and Thanos. Lol

I'm overdoing it a little bit you get the idea. If the Valiant U comes to the big screen, he makes the most since as the antagonist of the shows. 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

As far as Valiant antagonists go, this is *the* book. There are only a few other major villains and most of them are post-Unity

We’ve hit on an X book or a dozen. Let’s talk about XForce #116. This features the 1st appearances of Zeitgeist, U Go Girl, Doop, and more. These heroes ? Would go on to become the X-Statix 😝 

The run was goofy mixed modern sensibilities with a silver age 🤔 look. I thought I’d hate it. The art is normally my thing but somehow it all came together and made for a fun read. It has a fairly inexpensive buy in and any of these characters could be players in the future.

I have multiple copies in NM. I always buy this when I see them at shops. 

Rating 

Raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

CC97C18F-B4A5-46EE-B0FF-57C83F327E5D.jpeg

Next up, my 2 biggest misses. Enormous #1 and Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth #1. Okay, on one hand, I made money on Enormous and probably busted even on Todd. Still, they definitely were not big longterm winners...from a spec standpoint. 

I have a short box full of Enormous and my kids will probably inherit them 😝 

I sold 2 NYCC Enormous books that my buddy picked up for me which paid for every Enormous book I purchased. It did NOT pay for the cover to issue #3 that I still have. I’m in on that one all by myself.

I have at least 3 full sets of Todd and some extras on #1. I’d be hard pressed to sell those even if they made a comeback...which they won’t...

I got to know the writers of both books and I like both of them a lot. Very nice guys who are doing things that work for them. I never begrudge a guy for trying to get himself and/or his family ahead in life. This is my hobby but their livelihoods. I know Ken have done some kind of work with the Punisher show on Netflix...which was cool. Tim moves on to Vault and the last I heard, he was doing well. Very thankful to have met them both.

Now back to the spec. Enormous tanked so badly that I felt bad for even starting the thread on these boards. It made me hesitant to start any thread without a LOT of forethought. Looking back, I still love both books. The art was amazing and never laughed as hard as I did reading Todd #4. That doesn’t equate to good spec. They both had possible TV deals and both failed to happen. That’s life. 

So I own over 130 of these books ( full series and variants ) combined. 

Rating for both

raw NM = 2 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 3 out of 10

Oh yeah, someone sold Enormous #1 for $1.50 on eBay recently...I’ll pay double that all day, everyday 😝 

52B34520-CC74-492D-A724-84FD14B2D9BE.jpeg

74F0B251-3AA0-4069-B0F3-9926BCD20D42.jpeg

Next up are the last 6 issues of Marc Spector Mook Knight #65 through #60. Stephen Platt was the artist. I’ve never seen an artist draw less books and have a more lasting impact than him. Streamline might be close but not that close unless I’m missing some books by Platt. So much power and movement ( or stillness ) in those covers. 

I sold mine thinking I’d be able to buy them cheap later. I’ve never seen the cheap. So I have 0 issues and I don’t expect these to get cheap anymore. In fact, if there is a Moon Knight movie, I expect across the board increases on his title books and his early appearances. 

Raring all ( only 4 pictured )

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

774983AD-BA7E-4FDB-B22F-D08CEBE6AD7C.jpeg

10DBB802-6FCD-47AE-99C9-47F3DC867C44.jpeg

51111817-7413-4114-8D59-D84211533485.jpeg

FCF4BEEF-C844-4DDF-A28A-C2CB0F409E3D.jpeg

8 minutes ago, the authority said:

Next up are the last 6 issues of Marc Spector Mook Knight #65 through #60. Stephen Platt was the artist. I’ve never seen an artist draw less books and have a more lasting impact than him. Streamline might be close but not that close unless I’m missing some books by Platt. So much power and movement ( or stillness ) in those covers. 

I sold mine thinking I’d be able to buy them cheap later. I’ve never seen the cheap. So I have 0 issues and I don’t expect these to get cheap anymore. In fact, if there is a Moon Knight movie, I expect across the board increases on his title books and his early appearances. 

Raring all ( only 4 pictured )

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

774983AD-BA7E-4FDB-B22F-D08CEBE6AD7C.jpeg

10DBB802-6FCD-47AE-99C9-47F3DC867C44.jpeg

51111817-7413-4114-8D59-D84211533485.jpeg

FCF4BEEF-C844-4DDF-A28A-C2CB0F409E3D.jpeg

My favorite covers ever.  I have mint copies of these and debating if I should press and grade....I assume 55 would be the best one to slab?

14 hours ago, the authority said:

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

Yes!  if Bloodshot goes gold in the box office, this will be the book to go for next.  Evil Professor X... the best!

32 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

My favorite covers ever.  I have mint copies of these and debating if I should press and grade....I assume 55 would be the best one to slab?

I think so. I also think #60 because there is something special about the contrast of a black and white Moon Knight cover 👍

37 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

#60 is the only one I ever get. Do you guys find that one more plentiful or is it just random that I see #60s much more than others?

It’s the only one I find for the most part. Its my favorite. I just need to pull the trigger and buy a set