• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

Ahhh, Enormous.  That is my failed "spec" also and I still have (1) NYCC, numerous 1st and 2nd prints, variants, etc. etc.  I really enjoyed when Tim Daniel would come on to the site and give updates and promote speculation (go figure) that it was on the road to becoming a movie.  No such luck.  I'm probably $300 in the hole with this series and never sold a single one.  Truth be told, I've sold about 5 comics in my life.

I still love the book (writing and art) so it isn't a true bust personally.  Financially, it is a true bust currently but who knows how the future will play out. 

42 minutes ago, Pittsburgh said:

Ahhh, Enormous.  That is my failed "spec" also and I still have (1) NYCC, numerous 1st and 2nd prints, variants, etc. etc.  I really enjoyed when Tim Daniel would come on to the site and give updates and promote speculation (go figure) that it was on the road to becoming a movie.  No such luck.  I'm probably $300 in the hole with this series and never sold a single one.  Truth be told, I've sold about 5 comics in my life.

I still love the book (writing and art) so it isn't a true bust personally.  Financially, it is a true bust currently but who knows how the future will play out. 

In addition to having multiple copies, I've slabbed a bunch, but haven't sold a single one. Should have dumped my NYCC when it was hot. Would have paid for everything

20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

In addition to having multiple copies, I've slabbed a bunch, but haven't sold a single one. Should have dumped my NYCC when it was hot. Would have paid for everything

I kept holding out selling the NYCC due to ... duh duh duhhhh ... you got it ... movie speculation (from the creator himself).  Unfortunately, it didn't work out - spec game FTL (for the loss).  I harbor no grudges since I love the book still, I just have too many.

On 5/9/2019 at 2:04 AM, HouseofComics.Com said:

#60 is the only one I ever get. Do you guys find that one more plentiful or is it just random that I see #60s much more than others?

I imagine that orders were increased once it became obvious that Platt's art was a hit. I guess the increased orders only kicked in at the very end

On 5/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Probably 5:1 to the others as far as finding in discount boxes for me. 

Yeah, MK #60 is far and away the most common. By the time #55 and #56 became hits, orders were able to catch up. "Nobody" wanted #58 and #59, because the interior art wasn't by Platt, so by the time #60 rolled around, it was all fans could get. I can't recall a creator whose mere 4 issue run has been met with such sustained collector fervor over the years.

Here are Cap City numbers:

#55 - 10,500

#56 - 9,150

#57 - 9,350

#58 - 12,400

#59 - 13,500

#60 - 22,950

For reference, the same month as #55 came out:

X-Men #305 - 113,400

Amazing Spiderman #382 - 96,400

Batman #500 - 318,450

And for fun, Prophet #5, which was Platt's first work after MK #60 - 40,550

Moon Knight's numbers were in the toilet...and this was in 1993! No wonder it was cancelled.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 5/9/2019 at 1:03 AM, Wolverinex said:

My favorite covers ever.  I have mint copies of these and debating if I should press and grade....I assume 55 would be the best one to slab?

No. 57. Spider-Man book, crossover book, big appeal. Extremely high upside potential.

Edited by FlyingDonut

On 5/8/2019 at 11:03 PM, Wolverinex said:

My favorite covers ever.  I have mint copies of these and debating if I should press and grade....I assume 55 would be the best one to slab?

#57 used to fetch decent $$ as well.

5 hours ago, 500Club said:
20 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Well here's some info from 2014... looks like a dispute with Liefeid.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/20/fanboy-rampage-rob-liefeld-vs-stephen-platt/

No.  Looks like a guy, who, due to art style and personal viewpoints, isn’t cut out for monthly comic book work. 2c

Yeah that isn't the first artist like that, but man he was paid pretty well for that work.

11 hours ago, 500Club said:

No.  Looks like a guy, who, due to art style and personal viewpoints, isn’t cut out for monthly comic book work. 2c

It says a lot about your level of cray cray when Rob Liefeld...yes, Rob Liefeld...makes a little more sense than you.