• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Wizard stated that Moon Knight 55 went to a second printing.  Never seen one of those, probably just Wizard spewing nonsense.

yeah, that caught my eye as well. Then again, CBR's Cronin seemed to take that joke article seriously as well.

4 hours ago, The Brain said:

Also says that MK was barely selling 50k copies when he took over although Cap City only had around 10k for 55. Were 40k copies really being ordered elsewhere?

4 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Also says that MK was barely selling 50k copies when he took over although Cap City only had around 10k for 55. Were 40k copies really being ordered elsewhere?

There were multiple distributors and the newsstand then

Moon Knight was a Direct only title, despite the plethora of issues that only have UPC codes (see: Alpha Flight, etc.) I'm 98% certain that there was no newsstand distribution of #55-#60.

But yes, there were multiple distributors, which would account for the rest of the numbers.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, Pittsburgh said:

Ahhh, Enormous.  That is my failed "spec" also and I still have (1) NYCC, numerous 1st and 2nd prints, variants, etc. etc.  I really enjoyed when Tim Daniel would come on to the site and give updates and promote speculation (go figure) that it was on the road to becoming a movie.  No such luck.  I'm probably $300 in the hole with this series and never sold a single one.  Truth be told, I've sold about 5 comics in my life.

I still love the book (writing and art) so it isn't a true bust personally.  Financially, it is a true bust currently but who knows how the future will play out. 

I still love this book as well. I enjoyed it and still have quite a few books that I picked up from my pull list and from this site. 

I’m sure 12 hour work days aren’t healthy...but back to some comics. Next up, Dark Horse Comics #8...and Comics Greatest World X #1 with a Frank Miller cover. 

The #8 is the 1st appearance of X. With the recent news of Dark Horse having something to do with Netflix, something or many somethings, are bound to break out at some point.

Netflix seems to have a thing for gritty, even brutal, ground level characters. This probably has something to do with budgets but they are also easier to relate to that say a god or an alien.

Both of these books are extremely inexpensive. I added the Miller book because he’s had a lot of success in the movie department...and it’s just a really good looking cover.

I have many of both of both of these books. All very high grade. 

Ratings

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

there are only 8 9.8 on the census. Probably a combination of reasons including lack of familiarity and popularity and the fact that about 1 out of 3 submissions have graded 9.8.

X #1

raw NM = 2 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 2 out of 10...but I’m saying there’s a chance 😊

78E47E33-36CC-4D25-98FA-C544EEA14B15.jpeg

B2E08A97-E4A9-4921-B357-07A87CC4315F.jpeg

Next up, Marvel Point One  featuring the 1st appearance of Sam Alexander. Now, I’m a Richard Ryder guy. Nova #1 and #4 were 2 of my favorite covers as a kid. Still, the new guy is the one that a lot of today’s newer readers will know. 

The Nova Corps has already had a significant, and somewhat funny, contribution in the MCU. This seems like a pretty safe bet to me. Both Novas are likely to appear in the MCU in the future.

* The variants are probably the best bet on this book but I still like this a lot. *

I have 1 NM copy.

rating

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

4784940C-10A6-4814-A407-342A8F6A185F.jpeg

Next up, Donny Cates..books. God Country #1 and Redneck #1. These books are on opposite ends of the price spectrum. While God Country was by no means his 1st work, it was the book that put him on the map. Its a fantastic read and has powerful artwork. The entire series featured cool covers. Cates words just flow. He and Jason Aaron have a way of telling a story that makes you forget you’re reading a comic. 

Redneck was an earlier work that actually came to market later than GC. In my opinion it has more potential because the buy in is extremely low and the series is an ongoing story.

I own 1 NM copy of GC. It was impossible for me to resist selling a bunch of boooms that were bring Motee than 30 times what I paid for them. 

I’ve sold enough Redneck to be cost free on my remaining #1s. I have a lot of them. The story is fantastic and to me, more built to be a TV show than anything else  area has written. I also think the A cover is the book to own. 

Ratings

GC #1

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

Redneck #1 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

5EF85BB1-B7A3-4311-90B3-1640E2EEB4D7.jpeg

E7FB37E7-E480-47D9-92D1-EFC1D3DBB1BE.jpeg

28 minutes ago, the authority said:

I’m sure 12 hour work days aren’t healthy...but back to some comics. Next up, Dark Horse Comics #8...and Comics Greatest World X #1 with a Frank Miller cover. 

The #8 is the 1st appearance of X. With the recent news of Dark Horse having something to do with Netflix, something or many somethings, are bound to break out at some point.

Netflix seems to have a thing for gritty, even brutal, ground level characters. This probably has something to do with budgets but they are also easier to relate to that say a god or an alien.

Both of these books are extremely inexpensive. I added the Miller book because he’s had a lot of success in the movie department...and it’s just a really good looking cover.

I have many of both of both of these books. All very high grade. 

Ratings

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

there are only 8 9.8 on the census. Probably a combination of reasons including lack of familiarity and popularity and the fact that about 1 out of 3 submissions have graded 9.8.

X #1

raw NM = 2 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 2 out of 10...but I’m saying there’s a chance 😊

78E47E33-36CC-4D25-98FA-C544EEA14B15.jpeg

B2E08A97-E4A9-4921-B357-07A87CC4315F.jpeg

The problem with any of the Comics Greatest World books is that there are far too many of them, as they were only $1 when they were released, and the hobby was already in full speculation mode. So there is more than enough to go around of the weekly dollar issues. For there to be any value there, I'd say it has to be a graded 9.8, or graded with SS. The Dark Horse Presents book may have some room to grow

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The problem with any of the Comics Greatest World books is that there are far too many of them, as they were only $1 when they were released, and the hobby was already in full speculation mode. So there is more than enough to go around of the weekly dollar issues. For there to be any value there, I'd say it has to be a graded 9.8, or graded with SS. The Dark Horse Presents book may have some room to grow

Buy the variants. There are variants of the Week 1 issues. Barb Wire, X, Division 13, & Rebel. X, Division 13, and Barb Wire have two variants. 

Too bad Ghost didn't have a variant. That would probably be quite popular. Also too bad it has a Dorman, rather than a Hughes, cover.

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Buy the variants. There are variants of the Week 1 issues. Barb Wire, X, Division 13, & Rebel. X, Division 13, and Barb Wire have two variants. 

Too bad Ghost didn't have a variant. That would probably be quite popular. Also too bad it has a Dorman, rather than a Hughes, cover.

I was going to suggest Ghost as spec for CGW since it had Adam Hughes art, but the covers aren't special. The later Dodson covers might get some attention.

Darkhawk #1. Is it a Modern ? Probably not by year but he was pretty big in the early to mid 1990s. Either way, this has been a spec book for over 25 years. It reminds me of Nova #1 in that it’s underrated and is the kind of book that seems cheap forever...until it isn’t. He is a very cool character. 

Technically not his 1st appearance because he appears in a preview book prior to this one. I prefer actual comics with full stories but I understand each character stands on it’s own. Sometimes a picture of a head is a big deal while other times a full page picture including a character being named is just a cameo. I can’t keep up. Lol

Either way, he is eventually going to make his way into one of the MCU movies and you’ll probably hate it if you don’t own a copy.

I own maybe 6 or 7 of these in conditions ranging from VF to NM+.

rating

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

27F5B19F-166C-4A9A-A5D7-60A2A441A7D5.jpeg

1 hour ago, the authority said:

Is it a Modern ? Probably not by year but he was pretty big in the early to mid 1990s.

If you subscribe to the Copper-being-the-previous-age-before-Modern school, then yes it is Modern. Realistically it belongs to the age between them.

Darkhawk wasn't big. He stuck around for a few years instead of a few months only because of the timing. To be fair, that's at least more than some other characters/titles did.

What has he done since the crash?

Technically not his 1st appearance

Yes, it is.

Either way, he is eventually going to make his way into one of the MCU movies and you’ll probably hate it if you don’t own a copy.

hm

I remember him being all over the place in the 90s but that was 2 decades ago so maybe he just seemed big to me. 

As for lately, he was in Nova a few years back and Infinity Wars stuff last year. Some of the more recent stuff had great covers. I see him fitting in nicely in the current MCU...but I also said the same about Warlock and Nova. I have no idea when Warlock will become a presence.Wish I had a crystal ball 😊

I like heroes, especially superheroes, but occasionally something way off the wall will just make go WOW ! Next up is the 1st appearance of Spider (not-man) Jerusalem. Transmetropolitan #1 is 6 syllables of way ahead of its time. Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, and Mark Miller were all the rage for a good 10 to 15 years from the early to mid 90s on. 

My favorite Ellis Stuff is The Authority, hence the moniker, and then Planetary. I have friends who prefer this book over all of his writing to date. So I’m basing the rating of this one more on the fact that there are a great number of people who aren’t just like me. 😝 

The book ran for 60 issues. That’s a nice run by any modern book standard in my opinion. 

I have 1 Vf/NM copy.

ratings

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

AB4E8001-3DA0-4BA9-A9C9-09F6DB319FC0.jpeg

On 5/16/2019 at 2:56 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 5/16/2019 at 1:05 PM, the authority said:

Technically not his 1st appearance

Yes, it is.

Agreed. It is his first appearance, technically and absolutely. Marvel Age #97 is a preview of pages from #1. It's not his first appearance.

MA 97 will end up being referred to as the 1st appearance just from a lack of understanding
comic book 1st appearances. 

I understand completely the viewpoint that Darkhawk 1 is the official first appearance,
but when the character appears on the cover and is discussed inside it makes it a lot
more difficult.

MA 12 is a really good example of just a preview book. MA97 I think has a little more going 
for it and I can understand both the confusion and sellers who claim its a first appearance.

27 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

MA 97 will end up being referred to as the 1st appearance just from a lack of understanding
comic book 1st appearances. 

I understand completely the viewpoint that Darkhawk 1 is the official first appearance,
but when the character appears on the cover and is discussed inside it makes it a lot
more difficult.

MA 12 is a really good example of just a preview book. MA97 I think has a little more going 
for it and I can understand both the confusion and sellers who claim its a first appearance.

I think what also helps it out, is the fact that MA is a Marvel publication.