• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2019 at 11:59 AM, the authority said:

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say but predicting the future is about making intelligent, well informed guesses. So I’m going to put up some spec books that have potential to be important but aren’t locks. On a scale of 1-10, share your opinions if you will. I’m starting with some personal favorites. Feel free to add your own. Looking for growth potential. Longshots welcome. 😊

Starting with Vengeance #1. First appearance of America Chavez. She is or has been a member of the Young Avengers, Ultimates, West Caost Avengers etc. it doesn’t hurt that the cover to the is a Dell’otto or that the entire creative team are superstars.

My personal experience with this book is as follows. Sent 9 of my 12 to CGC for 9.8 prescreen. Only 3 came back 9.8. Worst return rate I’ve received other than UF #4. 

She appeals to many and is an all original character. Her versatility is important as she can easily fit in almost setting. I believe she is movie bound and could be a star.

Rating 

Raw NM  = 7 of 10

CGC 9.8 =. 8 of 10

761EA2A4-CF8D-4D58-A0A2-3B0ED9BC2C42.jpeg

This should maybe rate a little higher. 

On 5/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, MK #60 is far and away the most common. By the time #55 and #56 became hits, orders were able to catch up. "Nobody" wanted #58 and #59, because the interior art wasn't by Platt, so by the time #60 rolled around, it was all fans could get. I can't recall a creator whose mere 4 issue run has been met with such sustained collector fervor over the years.

Here are Cap City numbers:

#55 - 10,500

#56 - 9,150

#57 - 9,350

#58 - 12,400

#59 - 13,500

#60 - 22,950

For reference, the same month as #55 came out:

X-Men #305 - 113,400

Amazing Spiderman #382 - 96,400

Batman #500 - 318,450

And for fun, Prophet #5, which was Platt's first work after MK #60 - 40,550

Moon Knight's numbers were in the toilet...and this was in 1993! No wonder it was cancelled.

Funny that 58 picked up now, with the introduction of one of the Disney+ antagonists.

Marvel Comics Presents 117 might already be a bit of spek drek because it's tied (released the same week) with Ravage 2099 #1 for the first appearance of Ravage (if anything is ever done with those characters; maybe hold another 79 years and there will be nostalgia), but it's also, as far as I can tell, the first meeting of Wolverine and Venom.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

On 2/28/2020 at 10:31 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 5/11/2019 at 3:32 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, MK #60 is far and away the most common. By the time #55 and #56 became hits, orders were able to catch up. "Nobody" wanted #58 and #59, because the interior art wasn't by Platt, so by the time #60 rolled around, it was all fans could get. I can't recall a creator whose mere 4 issue run has been met with such sustained collector fervor over the years.

Here are Cap City numbers:

#55 - 10,500

#56 - 9,150

#57 - 9,350

#58 - 12,400

#59 - 13,500

#60 - 22,950

For reference, the same month as #55 came out:

X-Men #305 - 113,400

Amazing Spiderman #382 - 96,400

Batman #500 - 318,450

And for fun, Prophet #5, which was Platt's first work after MK #60 - 40,550

Moon Knight's numbers were in the toilet...and this was in 1993! No wonder it was cancelled.

Funny that 58 picked up now, with the introduction of one of the Disney+ antagonists.

If anyone didn't already know - Capital City was probably about 15% to 25% of the market (print run), so maybe multiply those counts by 4 to 7 (until there's a better estimate). hm 

Edited by valiantman

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

If anyone didn't already know - Capital City was probably about 15% to 25% of the market (print run), so maybe multiply those counts by 4 to 7 (until there's a better estimate). hm 

I knew that those numbers that are frequently shared only represented a portion of the direct market but the clarification is a good reminder to anyone unfamiliar with the source data.  We also need to remember that in 1994 the newsstand market was still relevant, not thriving, but not dead either.  Is there a year to year or month to month estimate of Cap City's market share?  That might help people to at least get these Cap City numbers 'closer to' the NA sales estimates (comichron/icv2) that people in the modern forum are more familiar with. 

also, you said 'print run'  

Spoiler

How Dare You Greta GIF

9 hours ago, bababooey said:

I knew that those numbers that are frequently shared only represented a portion of the direct market but the clarification is a good reminder to anyone unfamiliar with the source data.  We also need to remember that in 1994 the newsstand market was still relevant, not thriving, but not dead either.  Is there a year to year or month to month estimate of Cap City's market share?  That might help people to at least get these Cap City numbers 'closer to' the NA sales estimates (comichron/icv2) that people in the modern forum are more familiar with. 

also, you said 'print run'  

Reveal hidden contents

How Dare You Greta GIF

I asked JJM at Comichron.com about the Cap City market share, and he said it's hard to know for sure.  Even if you could isolate just 1993, there were different distribution deals for Marvel and DC.

In the case of Moon Knight #55 - #60, there was no newsstand, so the direct market sales were the print run. :sumo:

:insane:

I was getting some books ready to list on eBay, and decided to check again to see whether there was any reason to hold onto a few Copper books. Seems that Takeshi Matsuya (first appears in X-Terminators #1, 1988) is part of a new X-Team, S.W.O.R.D. Anyone read this? Seems to consist mostly of existing characters with limited appearances to date, but with first appearances over a wide range of time.