• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating spec books
13 13

354 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

MA 97 will end up being referred to as the 1st appearance just from a lack of understanding
comic book 1st appearances.

In our echo chamber here, there’s some possibility of that.

I can assure you that at shows, the general collecting population hasn’t taken this view.  The long held view of what is a first appearance still rules the day.   The preview appearances are seen as what they are - cool ancillary items.

A simple solution to the "preview" vs. "first appearance" problem would be to take the definition back to the beginning AND to reflect the actual market.

This "preview" of Action Comics #1 appeared in More Fun Comics #31

67447507_HouseAd-ActionComics1-MoreFunComics31-May1938-fullpage-b-edited.jpg.61c181519958e12304dbfbaa263b5b8c.jpg

... which established a very clear example of a "preview" which COULD be considered the first appearance.

NOW, using that fact, we can see that More Fun Comics #1 most recently sold for $1,195 for CGC 2.5 and $1,076 for CGC 3.5, for an average of $1,136 for an average grade of CGC 3.0.

The most recent sale of CGC 3.0 Action Comics #1 was $498,750.

THEREFORE...

A very clear preview of an upcoming comic/character for the most famous example of all time dictates that GIVEN THE SAME GRADE, the preview book should be 439 times CHEAPER than the actual first appearance, even though the preview occurred earlier.

If anyone claims that a preview should be more valuable than the first appearance divided by 439, they need to first correct the market for More Fun Comics #31 and Action Comics #1, then get back to us with updated numbers. 

:foryou:

This will be called the "More Fun 31 Rule" or just "Rule 31" (even though More Fun 31 is more fun to say).  Anyone proclaiming the importance/value/legitimacy of preview books/ads/articles/napkins will only need to show how their situation is more important than More Fun 31. :cloud9:

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

A simple solution to the "preview" vs. "first appearance" problem would be to take the definition back to the beginning AND to reflect the actual market.

67447507_HouseAd-ActionComics1-MoreFunComics31-May1938-fullpage-b-edited.jpg.61c181519958e12304dbfbaa263b5b8c.jpg

... which established a very clear example of a "preview" which COULD be considered the first appearance.

NOW, using that fact, we can see that More Fun Comics #1 most recently sold for $1,195 for CGC 2.5 and $1,076 for CGC 3.5, for an average of $1,136 for an average grade of CGC 3.0.

THEREFORE...

A very clear preview of an upcoming comic/character for the most famous example of all time dictates that GIVEN THE SAME GRADE, the preview book should be 439 times CHEAPER than the actual first appearance, even though the preview occurred earlier.

If anyone claims that a preview should be more valuable than the first appearance divided by 439, they need to first correct the market for More Fun Comics #31 and Action Comics #1, then get back to us with updated numbers. 

This will be called the "More Fun 31 Rule" or just "Rule 31" (even though More Fun 31 is more fun to say).  Anyone proclaiming the importance/value/legitimacy of preview books/ads/articles/napkins will only need to show how their situation is more important than More Fun 31. :cloud9:

But it's in black and white! That doesn't count!

(Sorry, just amused by the argument about Spidey's black and white vs black and red costume over in that other thread)

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

THEREFORE...

Yes BUT there is a bump to More Fun 31 relative to other More Funs around it. Just as long as your rule reflects that I'm good with it.

From the list, the low value for Darth Vader #3 is the one that surprises me.  

The character is really fun.  The surrounding cast around her has made it one of my favorite mainstream books. 

And yet I don't think many people really care about the book or character.  

She would be great in a movie.  

On a different, X-men 128 and 129 should be on this list. 

Patrick

Stormwatch #37, Planetary #1, Transmetropolitan #1 are classics 1st apps that everyone should own - in 9.8, it's hard.

Been after Stormwatch for 5 yrs now...no joy. Luckily got the other 2

I'd like to throw in Alias #1 as a cheap pick-up now.

I loved Jessica Jones (I'm in a minority I know!) but it was a $500 book in 9.8 more than once, and is sold for as low as $105 this year (Blue 9.8) - I think there may be a rise if the series gained some free-to-air exposure down the track. Good time to buy if you are a fan (yes I bought one for more than $105! - it's a keeper as I loved the show.)

Any of the first 3 books in 9.8 are a great buy.

Good Luck with Stormwatch - only 4 9.8's out there (I think boardies own all 4)

Oh, and absolutely no chance of making any money off this book - but read it

Daytripper

1 x 8.5 and 1 x 9.8 (MINE!) on census.

A great series, which with some love would make a wonderful mini-series on HBO or similar. 

Only book to make me laugh out loud and sob like a baby (for a while too)

Wonderful Book, deserves some love.

791323501_Daytripper19.8.thumb.JPG.d3da8034f21128490cba98cf318bbb60.JPG

Very cool thread.

I don't have the spec-experience to rate these for future developments, but many of the books previously posted are on my "be on the look-out" list, as well as these:

Army of Darkness 1: 1st Ash (copper?)
ASM 365: 1st Spider-Man 2099
ASM 654: 1st Flash Thompson Venom,  
Avenging Spider-Man 9: 1st Carol Danvers as Capt. Marvel,  
Bat 635: 1st Jason Todd as Red Hood,
Bat 570: 2nd (?) Harley in continuity
Batman Sword of Azrael 1: 1st Azrael
Daredevil 9: 1st Maya Lopez (Echo)
Darth Maul Son of Dathomir 1: Clone Wars legacy
The Goon 1 (Avatar Press): 1st Goon
The Goon 1 (Albatross): 2nd Series
The Goon 1 (Dark Horse): 3rd Series
Hulk 92: 1st Planet Hulk
Invincible Iron-Man 9: 1st Riri
Mouse Guard Belly of The Beast 1: VHTF
Star Wars Tag & Bink 2: 1st Darth Plagueis
Paper Girls 1: 1st PGs
What If 105: 1st Spider-Girl
Wolverine 66: Old Man Logan (cooling or holding?)
Wonder Woman 72: Classic Bolland cover
Web of Spider-Man 118: 1st Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider

On 5/3/2019 at 9:09 PM, darkstar said:

Death has significant appearances in Captain Atom #42, Books of Magic #4, and an Ambush Bug special prior to her encounter with Luthor in Action Comics #893 and #894.

oh look, free money from two months ago.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:00 AM, the authority said:

Next up we have Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 though #5. He has appeared in the Mighty Avengers and probably the most superpowerwd Ultimates ever written. This series had pretty low distribution numbers which doesn’t hurt its long term potential. Issue #1 is the book to own but #2 through #5 aren’t exactly easy finds. I like them all.

I sold my only #1 and wish I hadn’t already. I own 1 each of #2-#4 and 3 copies in #5. All in roughly NM-

ratings 

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

#2 - #4

raw NM = 4 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 4 out of 10

raw NM =5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

35907CBA-551B-4A1B-848E-F57D88CDA16C.jpeg

F793B2A3-9331-4287-8DE3-309EDBFADB22.jpeg

87DBF48C-12BE-4337-8C1C-005F1C964058.jpeg

96CE524C-E123-434B-8BF4-0B930FD7A8CC.jpeg

E9373C9E-9F44-42AC-8803-18A98DBB20B6.jpeg

Books have gone nuclear. Raw copies I'm seeing going for $150+ range?!